Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Profoto D1 or Hensel Integra Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Profoto D1 or Hensel Integra Plus

I'm torn between 3 Profoto D1 Air or 3 Hensel Integra Plus and I'd appreciate comments.

Speed isn't an issue (and should I ever need a fast head I could rent it). Availability of Hensel stuff isn't an issue either as I'm living in Germany. I have used both and to me it looks like:

Profoto D1:
    - Position of flash tube (dome required in certain situations)
    - Mount of light shaping stuff via clasp
    - Stand mounting (getting them into vertical position is a problem)
    + Profoto Air
    + 7 stop range

Hensel Integra Plus:
    + Position of flash tube
    + Mount of light shaping (very fast and easy)
    + Stand mounting
    - Strobe Wizzard Plus
    - 6 stop range

At the moment I'm not sure if I would regret having a 6 stop power range if I could have had 7 stops had I spent more money. Hensel were the less painful investment (assuming both Profoto and Hensel are reliable) :-)

Usage: Images of small machines etc.

Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Profoto D1 or Hensel Integra Plus

I have and use both brands in my studio ... and have done so for some time. Lots of industrial work for General Motors and American Axel (I'm located in Detroit), on location research/manufacturing facilities and a lot of studio parts photography. Also use the lighting for conceptual portraits, events, etc.

Both are very reliable, durable, and well respected makes with superb build quality.

My take on the plusses and minuses is a bit different.

1) Number one plus for Profoto is the modifier mount. It is the only mount that allows you to focus the light by sliding the modifier back and forth on the body of the strobe (which is why there are measurement marks on the strobe body for repeatability, etc.) ... making each different modifier much more versatile.

In extensive real world practice I've also found it the easiest to attach and remove modifiers, and without a doubt the most secure. Unlike the Hensel top lever, the Profoto lever-clasp type lock can be rotated when opened so you can position it in a convenient to reach place.

2) The lack of domes on the D1s is both a plus and minus depending on use. The small grids that fit the D1 with flat glass are truly great for table-top spot illumination, (I have the 5, 10, and 20 D1 grids and use them all the time on one of my D1s ... the other two D1's have the domes installed for softbox applications) ... and D1s without domes are great for use with fresnel attachments, gobo boxes, Pro Boxes or anything that you insert the head into a fixed front modifier ... not to mention simple umbrella applications.

3) Not sure what problem you have with positioning D1's in vertical position. Explain more please. If you mean for horizontal lighting down on products from an overhead boom light, then you probably need an inexpensive drop down pin on your stand for either brand of light.

4) The Profoto D1's are slimmer and more compact for easier transport. I also use them for location work with PCB Vagabond MINI lithium batteries.

4) Profoto is more available at rentals, including rental of exotic generator boxes when you want to do creative lighting ... Profoto is well ahead of Hensel in this regard.

MOST IMPORTANT: IMO, your comparison should be between the Hensel Expert D and Profoto D1s, not Hensel Integra Plus. The Hensel Expert D 500 offers 8 stops, the recycle time and t.5 flash duration performance is superior to the Profoto D1s, and includes 3 different switchable radio system receivers: Strobe Wizard, Free Mask, and Profoto AIR. BTW, Strobe Wizard Plus pales in comparison to the Profoto AIR for distance performance by 3 to 4X. Personally, I would not get any Hensel product with Strobe Wizard only.

The Hensel Porty 1200L is a fabulous battery box which I use in concert with Profoto lights because both have Profoto AIR receivers ... so I can mix and match on location.

If you do a lot of outlining of product shots, investigate the Hensel Free-Mask system closely ... it can be a huge time saver.

Since you are in Germany and availability is presumably far better than in the US, I would probably go with the Expert Ds.

BTW, some of the best modifiers are offered by Elinchrom with their fast set-up/tear down Rotalux boxes ... and they now offer the fast set Rotoalux speed-ring in Profoto and soon Hensel versions. Highly recommended!

Hope this helps a little,

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, Marc, this is very helpful!

Pricewise the Integra Plus are/were attractive but your take confirms my reservations. I'll do two things: restart my comparison, now Expert D versus D1, and rethink my budget. I won't get the Integra Plus.

Again, thank you very much!

Chris

PS: I must admit that when I posted my question, knowing that you use both Profoto and Hensel, I was hoping you would post your point of view :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ... and D1s without domes are great for use with fresnel attachments, gobo boxes, Pro Boxes or anything that you insert the head into a fixed front modifier ... not to mention simple umbrella applications.
    I'm curious if you've compared the flat D1 glass vs with the dome on the Pro Box ?

The Pro Box was designed for the dome covered Pro/Acute/Compact heads with the extensive grading of reflective surfaces inside the box plus the glass diffuser.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
    I'm curious if you've compared the flat D1 glass vs with the dome on the Pro Box ?

The Pro Box was designed for the dome covered Pro/Acute/Compact heads with the extensive grading of reflective surfaces inside the box plus the glass diffuser.
    I hadn't noticed a difference, but that was when using the flat glass compared to the shorter domes of the D1s verses the deeper glass domes of the Pro/Acute heads which the ProBox interior tube gradations seem designed for.

The subject was D1 or Hensel mono heads, so I didn't take into account the Pro/Acute heads ... which are probably more effective in the Pro Box.

Next time I'm using the Pro Boxes, I'll pay closer attention and take some meter readings to see if there is a hot spot with the D1 head (dome/no dome), verses an Acute head.

Good observation and worth a closer look.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, I can't stretch to the new B4 and my dealer recommends the B3 unless very high flash sync is needed so I was wondering if you have ever compared the Pro B3 Air with the Hensel Porty 1200L you mentioned?

Sorry OP this is a little OT.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Marc, I can't stretch to the new B4 and my dealer recommends the B3 unless very high flash sync is needed so I was wondering if you have ever compared the Pro B3 Air with the Hensel Porty 1200L you mentioned?

Sorry OP this is a little OT.
    Sorry, no I have not physically compared the two in person ... just on paper. My apologies to the OP also as I answer this inquiry

I opted for the Hensel Porty 1200L to replace the older Porty 1200 monster I used to use for location work. Plus, I have an older Hensel Mini that uses the same round-plug lights. So I already had ancillary stuff for Hensel.

However, I think for me I would have gone the Hensel route anyway even if starting from scratch ... unless I could have had the B4, which wasn't out then (although I don't even have a camera that could keep up with the box anyway )

The Porty L delivers 450 full pops compared to 300 of the B3, is smaller and weighs approx 6Lbs less, recycles faster (0.2s to 0.95 @ full power verses 0.6 to 1.8s for the B3), and has a slightly shorter flash duration (when used with a Porty Speed head: the shortest then is 1/8100s @ minimum power verses 1/7400s).

For me, as primarily a Profoto based studio, Hensel made it a lot easier to integrate the new Porty L by including full Profoto AIR radio control using the same AIR transceiver on the camera. I frequently use the Porty 1200L and Acute B600 AIR together. I also have the Mains Adapter to use the Porty L in studio.

On the other hand, the B3 does have 8 stops of control compared to 7 with the Porty. In the US Profoto is available for rental more than Hensel Porty. Plus, of course, if running two systems then there is also the modifier compatibility issue.

Compatibility has been eased a bit as of late since I use the highly portable Elinchrom Rotalux soft-boxes a lot for location work, and Elinchrom now offers the quick set-up Rotalux speed-rings for Profoto, Hensel and other brand heads. I also have a couple of Hensel to EL adapters so I can use some older fixed mount Elinchrom asscessories like my EL Gobo box.

As a side benefit, Hensel offers some VERY interesting accessories and modifiers. Their 76" Terra Box "Deep Space" is a spectacular 48" deep parabolic, and @ $1,360 complete is quite affordable compared to Profoto, etc. (a friend has one, I do not ... yet ).

http://www.hensel.eu/fileadmin/Dokum...p_Space_en.pdf

Their Porty Star-Spot Fresnel head is a true self-contained strobe head, not an add on (I do have that one). The Porty ring light is carbon fiber with a handle and is very light weight and easy to use.

Did I mention the Porty one head kit with an added Porty speed head is almost 1/2 the price of a B4 with two Pro B heads? That $4,000 difference paid for the Porty Mains adapter, Fresnel head, and Elinchrom Rotalux 27", 39" and 59" modifiers with money left over

However, it all depends on whether your dealer is doing a really deep discount on the B3 AIR and a couple of Pro-B heads, and whether you are fine with the Profoto modifiers you already have. There is something to be said for one system simplicity.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

The Porty L delivers 450 full pops compared to 300 of the B3,
    That must be the smaller 600Ws Porty? The 1200Ws delivers around 240 at full power

For me, as primarily a Profoto based studio, Hensel made it a lot easier to integrate the new Porty L by including full Profoto AIR radio control
    Not full. The Air Software that I love to use in the studio works only with Profoto.

Compatibility has been eased a bit as of late since I use the highly portable Elinchrom Rotalux soft-boxes a lot for location work,
    I love the Elinchrom deep octas (70cm and 100cm) and I use them a lot outdoor and I love the fact that with the Profoto heads you can use the deflector that comes into the umbrella holder. That won't work with Hensel heads where it is located at the bottom the flash.
    My Beauty Dishs stays in the studio now and the light output is also almost another two f-stops.

I moved after using Hensel for about 10 years to Profoto two years ago and I have never looked back since.
    I had two Portys, 9 Integra Pro Plus and some other Hensel equipment and now Profoto Pro8a, D4, D1, Acute B2

Jens

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by J.Look View Post
    That must be the smaller 600Ws Porty? The 1200Ws delivers around 240 at full power

Not full. The Air Software that I love to use in the studio works only with Profoto.

I love the Elinchrom deep octas (70cm and 100cm) and I use them a lot outdoor and I love the fact that with the Profoto heads you can use the deflector that comes into the umbrella holder. That won't work with Hensel heads where it is located at the bottom the flash.
    My Beauty Dishs stays in the studio now and the light output is also almost another two f-stops.

I moved after using Hensel for about 10 years to Profoto two years ago and I have never looked back since.
    I had two Portys, 9 Integra Pro Plus and some other Hensel equipment and now Profoto Pro8a, D4, D1, Acute B2

Jens
    Right you are ... B&H has the wrong specification printed for the 1200 (I notified B&H and they responded, will verify, and correct the misinformation).

The Hensel is battery ... and I rarely use it in studio tethered to a computer, so the software is a moot point for me. What I meant is that you can remotely control the Porty levels with the AIR transmitter at camera, which you can't do with the Acute B2 600 L AIR.

Most of my lighting is also Profoto ... D4s, D1s, Acute B2 ... and I also primarily use the Elinchrom Deep Octs on the Profoto heads with deflector ... or when traveling really light, on an Elinchrom Quatra with Lith battery.

I LOVE the Hensel for its cost to features ratio, size to power ratio, and for the various lights and modifiers that extend the possibilities like the StarSpot fresnel ... but if it wasn't AIR controlled, I would not have opted for it. Adding AIR was a smart move on Hensel's part.

-Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 15th November 2012 at 00:29.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It should be noted that the Hensel L1200 charges to 80% in less than an hour, with asymmetrical power distribution, and is weather resistant. Being able to light remote locations with two lights is such a plus. I probably will get a Hensel to Profoto cable along with a few Profoto lights...just in case. I like their modifiers too.

Marc, do you have suggestions as to the best Profoto lights to use for Hensel L1200?
    Thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    It should be noted that the Hensel L1200 charges to 80% in less than an hour, with asymmetrical power distribution, and is weather resistant. Being able to light remote locations with two lights is such a plus. I probably will get a Hensel to Profoto cable along with a few Profoto lights...just in case. I like their modifiers too.

Marc, do you have suggestions as to the best Profoto lights to use for Hensel L1200?
    Thanks.
    I haven't converted any Profoto lights to Hensel yet. I need every Profoto head I have, so probably will just use the Hensel heads I have on the Porty.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Using Profoto Heads on a Hensel Porty was easy with the older Porty models but not with the L1200. You can ask Flash Clinic in New York. They have done that ones where just the parts were $1000 plus 6 month wait.

It is also not asymmetrical like the Profoto B4. Just 1:1, 1:2, 1:3
    Won't work for me when I am using a ringflash as a second head.
    So I moved from one Hensel lithium to two Profoto B2. Same weight both together, 100% asymmetrical, no extension cords needed, you always have one spare if one dies, same price (I got them with the free head offer)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using Profoto Heads on a Hensel Porty was easy with the older Porty models but not with the L1200. You can ask Flash Clinic in New York. They have done that ones where just the parts were $1000 plus 6 month wait.

It is also not asymmetrical like the Profoto B4. Just 1:1, 1:2, 1:3
    Won't work for me when I am using a ringflash as a second head.
    So I moved from one Hensel lithium to two Profoto B2. Same weight both together, 100% asymmetrical, no extension cords needed, you always have one spare if one dies, same price (I got them with the free head offer)
    Let's keep it real, okay? ... the B4 is 1,000w/s and $8,000. with no heads. Who wouldn't prefer to have a B4 ... if it cost the same as the Porty? But it doesn't.

Two Profoto B2s = 1200 w/s but not from one head unless you have them next to each other, and use the bi-tube ($$$$). I often use the Porty full power when shooting against the sun for that extra stop of control.

If you have the B2s apart from each other , you have to go to each box to adjust power levels ... AIR radio only triggers the box. AIR in the Porty controls the power settings from the camera.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Acute 600 B2 AIR, but it has it's own limitations.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think you need to look at what you can afford for your budget and what you will grow into. Profotos are nicer lights, particularly with the modifier mount and the flexibility of the zoom reflectors, and it is easy to rent additional Profoto packs/heads as needed. Hensels are a lot more bang for the buck, have less expensive domes and flash tubes, and you won't find them in rental houses in the U.S. While Marc is correct that the Profoto mount is nicer, I will say that the Hensel mount sucks. Not nearly as bad as Elinchrom, but I really don't like it.

I have no experience with the Hensel D lights, but on the whole I have been very impressed with the quality and durability of my Integra Plus lights. Marc is right that Strobe Wizard kind of sucks. I use it occasionally and it is very hand to have, but nine times out of 10 I just use Pocket Wizards. Capture One has a module that allows you full control over some Profoto Air lights and I don't think I would buy any more lights that I can't control via Capture One.

My general recommendation is that if your budget allows Profoto, get them. If you can't afford Profoto, buy Hensel and never look back. If the 5-stop range of the hensels isn't enough, you can knock them down with ND gels if you need. If you go the Hensel route, I would recommend the 9" reflector and grid kit -- for $400 you get shallow, medium, and long reflectors and 10, 20, 30, 40 degree grids. Of course on Profoto, the Zoom Reflector handles all of that, but you still need grids. Also, if you get Hensel you will need to buy a beauty dish for the simple reason that they are awesome.

One big "gotcha" with the Hensel lights that no one seems to mention is the speed ring is huge and you need shorter poles with most softboxes. If you have a big investment in Chimera or Plume softboxes, that could be a problem. I don't think the Octaboxes require the short poles. As a work around I discovered Hensel softboxes and they are excellent. If I could figure out how to put grids on them I wouldn't use anything else.

Broncolor are also really nice, but they fall into the category of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." I have mostly ruled out Elinchrom based on the mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for all further comments! I still haven't made up my mind and I'll have another look at the Profoto D1 with respect to color and light constancy in subsequent exposures.

The price difference is marginal. I have a nice offer for the D1s and a different one for the Hensel Ds, both are quite close.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Let's keep it real, okay? ... the B4 is 1,000w/s and $8,000. with no heads. Who wouldn't prefer to have a B4 ... if it cost the same as the Porty? But it doesn't.
    Yes, they are not playing in the same league.

Two Profoto B2s = 1200 w/s but not from one head unless you have them next to each other, and use the bi-tube ($$$$). I often use the Porty full power when shooting against the sun for that extra stop of control.
    I usually never use more than maximum of 300Ws per head but I can work with 1/1600s sync speed with my camera so I don't need a lot to overpower the sun.
    I have a twin head so I could get 1200Ws out of one head with the two profotos.

If you have the B2s apart from each other , you have to go to each box to adjust power levels ... AIR radio only triggers the box. AIR in the Porty controls the power settings from the camera.
    I have them always with an assistant and they are faster with changing the power than me changing it with the remote. I love the control in the studio but I don't need it outdoor. And I love the fact the profotos have rotary knobs. When I am shooting with a ring flash I have the generator next to me and I can change the power without looking at it.

But I guess he is more interested in the studio lights anyway.
    For me it is important that I can rent extra equipment if I need it. Renting Hensel is almost impossible in the US and I don't know any of the typical equipment rentals worldwide who works with Hensel. In Germany you can rent them directly from Hensel and buying them is also easier (here it can take three month).
    The D1 is smaller and lighter and easy to use outdoor with a battery. You can switch them to a battery mode and I have the Alien Bees Vagabond minis to power them outdoor and they work great. This is not possible with the Hensel.
    They had some problems with the first Expert Ds making a chirping sound but it looks like they fixed it and I think they are very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D1 is smaller and lighter and easy to use outdoor with a battery. You can switch them to a battery mode and I have the Alien Bees Vagabond minis to power them outdoor and they work great. This is not possible with the Hensel.
    Hensel MPG, Dynalite XP1100 or most of the Innovatronix batteries will power Hensel monolights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Hensel MPG, Dynalite XP1100 or most of the Innovatronix batteries will power Hensel monolights.
    The Hensel MPG is not in their program anymore since over a year. Maybe you can get it used but have you tried one with the Expert D? It would be on your own risk. Same with any other external battery. Not a problem with the slower older models but I would not try it with the newer ones. The Profoto will charge slower when you switch it to battery mode.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The OP is in Germany ... not the USA.

Working with assistants to adjust light levels is helpful, but not free. I would always prefer to adjust the lights from camera as opposed to having an assistant running from light to light ... especially lights in far rooms. That can be something of a circus act when working on a complex set ... including in concert with monos buried in a soft-box 12 feet in the air.

I also use the D1s with the PCB Vagabond mini batteries ... but only as a supplement if I need to light a larger outdoor location. I do not know what battery may power a Hensel Expert D. Since it is digital control, I'd ask the battery maker before buying anything.

1200 w/s from one head is useful when overpowering the sun mostly because most people do NOT have 1/1600 sync speed cameras ... and really helpful if the light is at a distance from the subject no matter what camera you use.

In the end, I agree with Bill ... if you can afford Profoto, including any future generators and accessories, then go for it ... the modifier mount alone is worth it. If the investment is too much, then Hensel is a fine German made product that produces an excellent and consistent quality of light, and offers some very affordable and innovative modifiers ... some of which are not available elsewhere.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Bill_Green;468021]I will say that the Hensel mount sucks. Not nearly as bad as Elinchrom, but I really don't like it.

I don't agree. The Hensel mount is simple, and very strong. I've used big octaboxes in windy conditions, and they hold tight, just really need another sandbag. It seems it only gets windy when the octa goes up Shooting groups with a big octa and 1200 w/s on a remote location is reason alone to consider Hensel. Mounting the octabox is quite easy too, I just remove the baffle and grasp the softbox ring, clamp and go. The Hensel L1200's ability to distribute the flash power using ratios is quite good too, because you can set the power for A/B, and then adjust light output. Okay, not true asymmetrical, but the ability to use two lights on locations with control over lights from the camera is really nice!

Post Thanks / Like

The OP is in Germany ... not the USA.
    I know and I know the situation there quite well. I am from germany and I was working there with Hensel for about 15 years. In the US I think Hensel is not really an option anymore.

Working with assistants to adjust light levels is helpful, but not free. I would always prefer to adjust the lights from camera as opposed to having an assistant running from light to light ... especially lights in far rooms. That can be something of a circus act when working on a complex set ... including in concert with monos buried in a soft-box 12 feet in the air.
    My assistants don't have to run from light to light. I usually use outdoor one or two lights and the assistants have the generator with them and the flash head on a boom. A lot faster and easier than setting up light stands outdoor.
    Yes, with monos that could be more difficult why I mentioned that the D1 are lighter. And they can be controlled.

I also use the D1s with the PCB Vagabond mini batteries ... but only as a supplement if I need to light a larger outdoor location. I do not know what battery may power a Hensel Expert D. Since it is digital control, I'd ask the battery maker before buying anything.
    The battery makers support their own brands. There is a list from Innovatronix from users but nothing about the Expert D

1200 w/s from one head is useful when overpowering the sun mostly because most people do NOT have 1/1600 sync speed cameras ... and really helpful if the light is at a distance from the subject no matter what camera you use.
    Like I said I have 1200Ws if I need it but also with a Canon I never needed it after I changed my light formers. Many Hensel user are using their beauty dish outdoor. It is a very nice dish in the studio but not very effective when it comes to a high light output. The Profoto gives you almost 1 f-stop more and the Elinchrom deep octa almost 2 f-stops with a very similar light. Two f-stops means instead of 1200Ws you can use 300Ws.
    The new profoto zoom reflector is also more effective than the Hensel standard reflectors (I had almost all of them)

In the end, I agree with Bill ... if you can afford Profoto, including any future generators and accessories, then go for it ... the modifier mount alone is worth it. If the investment is too much, then Hensel is a fine German made product that produces an excellent and consistent quality of light, and offers some very affordable and innovative modifiers ... some of which are not available elsewhere.
    I agree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mounting the octabox is quite easy too, I just remove the baffle and grasp the softbox ring, clamp and go.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I don't want to imply that the mount is weak, just clumsy. But I suppose any mount is clumsy next to Profoto.

Post Thanks / Like

One big "gotcha" with the Hensel lights that no one seems to mention is the speed ring is huge and you need shorter poles with most softboxes. If you have a big investment in Chimera or Plume softboxes, that could be a problem. I don't think the Octaboxes require the short poles. As a work around I discovered Hensel softboxes and they are excellent. If I could figure out how to put grids on them I wouldn't use anything else.

Broncolor are also really nice, but they fall into the category of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." I have mostly ruled out Elinchrom based on the mount.
    Actually I use only Chimeras sobos on Hensels and Broncolor lights and have not noticed a real problem with the size of the speed ring. Yes, the poles are stiffer to mount, but still manageable. Until today I have not managed to break one sobo because of that. OTOH if I had to assemble and disassemble them every day it may be worth taking care of that.

Regarding the price of Broncolor, it is the about the same as Profoto.

Broncolor is a bit lagging behind now on the monohead front, but have great new generators. Hensel OTOH is now lagging behind with their generators (except the new porty).
    What I really do apprecheate on Broncolor (that noone mentions) is that their documentation is spot on. You get all the information, even for stuff that is history since long ago. For example, they are only company that always lists the the t0,1 value. As opposed to the others that do list the t0,5, just because it looks better.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think you need to look at what you can afford for your budget and what you will grow into. Profotos are nicer lights, particularly with the modifier mount and the flexibility of the zoom reflectors, and it is easy to rent additional Profoto packs/heads as needed. Hensels are a lot more bang for the buck, have less expensive domes and flash tubes, and you won't find them in rental houses in the U.S. While Marc is correct that the Profoto mount is nicer, I will say that the Hensel mount sucks. Not nearly as bad as Elinchrom, but I really don't like it.

I have no experience with the Hensel D lights, but on the whole I have been very impressed with the quality and durability of my Integra Plus lights. Marc is right that Strobe Wizard kind of sucks. I use it occasionally and it is very hand to have, but nine times out of 10 I just use Pocket Wizards. Capture One has a module that allows you full control over some Profoto Air lights and I don't think I would buy any more lights that I can't control via Capture One.

My general recommendation is that if your budget allows Profoto, get them. If you can't afford Profoto, buy Hensel and never look back. If the 5-stop range of the hensels isn't enough, you can knock them down with ND gels if you need. If you go the Hensel route, I would recommend the 9" reflector and grid kit -- for $400 you get shallow, medium, and long reflectors and 10, 20, 30, 40 degree grids. Of course on Profoto, the Zoom Reflector handles all of that, but you still need grids. Also, if you get Hensel you will need to buy a beauty dish for the simple reason that they are awesome.

Bill, I'm not sure what the problem is with the Hensel speed ring size. I use a couple of Gary Register's Plume Wafers in studio and regularly switch back and forth between Hensel and Profoto speed-rings using the same modifier rods.

The modifiers I am loving these days are the super easy to set-up/tear-down Elinchrom Rotalux's due to so much location work ... I have both the 27" and 39" Rotalux Deep Octs, a smaller soft-box with egg-crate grid and have ordered the 59" Rotalux Inverse mount Deep Octa for use with a Quadra lithium (do not know if I can use other heads with this one yet).

I switched over the larger 39" Rotalux Deep Octa to the new Profoto mount Rotalux speed ring from Elinchrom ... because I also do not like the Elinchrom mount at all, especially for larger modifiers like the 39" Deep Octa ... not to mention the questionable thinner EL umbrella shaft requirement

Most of the lighting solutions being discussed here, Profoto, Broncolor, and Hensel are splitting hairs ... the light quality is superb from all of them. Profoto and Broncolor usually slug it out at the top end trading top dog status with exotic generators in the $10K+ arena where only the bold and dedicated photo Gods go. For us mere mortals, any of these choices will deliver ... and depending on one's location/supply, the choice may be clearer. Hensel has some of the coolest and affordable tools, but has anemic support in the USA ... with many items requiring 6-10 weeks or more to get from Germany. If you tend to rent and are in the USA, Profoto is the obvious choice. I rarely rent because I do alot of different types of photography and also like to create on the fly, so I have waaaaaaay to many modifiers and exotic do-dads for the actual volume of work I do

I do not agree with T Karma that Hensel lags in the studio generator arena, at least for mere mortals ... Their new Nova Packs are wonders of lighting engineering packed into a small box ... much better than the Profoto Acutes. Under $3K for 2400W/s with a recycle of 0.9 sec at full power! 8 stops of Asymmetrical distribution, and something Profoto doesn't have ... three radio systems built in: Profoto AIR, Hensel Strobe Wizard, and Free Mask ... if you have never seen Free-Mask in action do some research ... it is simply amazing and can outline hair in motion.

Then there is Hensel's SpeedMax mono head ... get this ... 1/66,600 duration is possible (making everything else look like a snail in comparison), with a flash tube that delivers 40,000,000 shots!

I love lighting. IMO, camera's are boring in comparison. Lighting can make such a huge difference. Fun stuff

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Both Profoto and Hensel have in some cases significant color temp. differences when comparing power levels-with 300-500k fluctuations. Interestingly, the less expensive offerings from PB, have the shortest duration and least color shift. The t.1 spec is should be considered in flash purchases.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at the new Nova DL. From Hensels website you simply cant figure out is it real asymmetry, or somewhat conditional asymmetry. Then they are trying to impress by saying: t0,5 1/xxxx with speed head. Me thinks, .... what about the regular heads? What about t0,1 and under full load? I find this is unworthy for products that do cost several thousand Dollars or Euros.

Not saying that Hensel is bad, I do still buy stuff from them, but some professionality is missing compared to Broncolor at least. However, as you said every of the three companies will do fine for most apps and Hensel is surely price attractive (relatively).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both Profoto and Hensel have in some cases significant color temp. differences when comparing power levels-with 300-500k fluctuations. Interestingly, the less expensive offerings from PB, have the shortest duration and least color shift. The t.1 spec is should be considered in flash purchases.
    Never experienced that. I photograph seating fabric samples for General Motors that have to be color correct, and shifts of 300K would be unacceptable.

Many color shifts attributed to the lights are actually due to aging gear, especially modifiers ... I have to swap out the diffusion material every year or two for accurate studio color. At the suggestion of my studio tech advisor I now keep the old ones for portraits because they are warmer. BTW, washing in bleach doesn't work ... once they yellow with age, that's it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, these shifts are most apparent from the lowest to the highest power setting. I have an older integra 500 that shifted considerably, so perhaps you're right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill, I'm not sure what the problem is with the Hensel speed ring size. I use a couple of Gary Register's Plume Wafers in studio and regularly switch back and forth between Hensel and Profoto speed-rings using the same modifier rods.
    Really? Mine didn't work at all so I sold them with the plan to get something else, and just haven't yet. Perhaps I need to look closer at the Hensel and Chimera speed rings. The Chimera may be bigger and the source of my problems.

The modifiers I am loving these days are the super easy to set-up/tear-down Elinchrom Rotalux's due to so much location work ... I have both the 27" and 39" Rotalux Deep Octs, a smaller soft-box with egg-crate grid and have ordered the 59" Rotalux Inverse mount Deep Octa for use with a Quadra lithium (do not know if I can use other heads with this one yet).
    Would you mind posting the link on how to use those with Hensel or PM me? I think I deleted your note that had the info. I would love to try some.

Most of the lighting solutions being discussed here, Profoto, Broncolor, and Hensel are splitting hairs ... the light quality is superb from all of them. Profoto and Broncolor usually slug it out at the top end trading top dog status with exotic generators in the $10K+ arena where only the bold and dedicated photo Gods go.
    I would agree that the differences are slim as long as you are comparing in the same price bracket. I don't think what I paid for my entire Hensel kit would cover the cost of a single B4 pack. I bought the first two lights from Marc as a curiosity because I had never used mono lights before and wanted to see what the fuss was about over pack and heads. If I had the cash to go with a high end Broncolor or Profoto system I would do it in a heartbeat.

I bought the Hensels because of bang for the buck and flexibility. I will probably need to add some way to get at least 1000j into a single head at some point. Compared with the Acute system, I don't think there is much difference.

I don't understand why people get so defensive about lighting choices or a need to prove that what they bought is better than what someone else bought. It is all about needs and budget. On the strobe side, I need a couple soft boxes since I don't really have much right now, I need better battery support since all I have is the MPG, and I could use a couple higher power heads. However, if I had $5,000 to spend on lighting it would probably be for tungsten because one of the directions I am working toward is best handled by hot lights.

EDIT: It looks like Elinchrom is now making an adapter to use Rotalux on Hensel. Time to go shopping. http://www.adorama.com/EL26533.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T.Karma View Post
    Just looked at the new Nova DL. From Hensels website you simply cant figure out is it real asymmetry, or somewhat conditional asymmetry.
    Same like the porty. Not fully asymmetrical.

Then they are trying to impress by saying: t0,5 1/xxxx with speed head. Me thinks, .... what about the regular heads? What about t0,1 and under full load? I find this is unworthy for products that do cost several thousand Dollars or Euros.
    Speed t0,1 with the regular heads is 1/125s at full power. Fastest speed t0,1 with regular heads is 1/400s.
    The Profoto Pro8 is between 1/600 and about 1/4500s. Yes, different price but you should keep in mind that with 1/125s flash speed your image might be blurry.
    The Hensel speed heads will also cost you 1/3 f-stop of power. A fact they also "forget" to mention...

The Nova still sounds great. I was asking here in a store to contract me when it is available after they announced it at the photokina over two years ago.
    It looks like they started to sell the first ones a few month ago in Germany but I think the only one ever been in the US was the one a the photo plus booth.
    Also the fact that I can't control it with the Air software in the studio makes it unattractive for me.

Jens
    Last edited by J.Look; 22nd November 2012 at 12:22.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found this thread to be quite useful, and wanted to comment on my own experience with Hensel. I've had the Hensel L1200 w/ 2 EH Pro mini's (non speed), and think the quality is good. However, I'm starting to shoot more outdoor action in remote locations, and need more potable solutions, and faster duration, and Hensel gear is never in stock here in the US northeast. Just a new flash tube takes weeks from BH. I'm not too invested in Hensel modifiers, except for the BD, and will keep my integra 500 for studio stuff. Hensel would benefit with better US distribution, as some modifiers are really cool (starspot) and innovative (speedmax). The D1's do look attractive with vagabonds in bat mode, but i'll have to get the specs for t, 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to shoot more outdoor action in remote locations, and need more potable solutions, and faster duration,
    The flash duration isn't fast or slow, it's long or short.

If you're shooting outdoor action, whatever it is, and relying on flash duration to create a sharp image then you'll need your flash exposure to be a couple of stops above ambient. That takes a lot of light and or an ND filter on the lens.

I shoot sports using an Elinchrom Ranger X As with the S head and Pocket Wizards in order to sync at 1/500 and higher. It's a very common practice these days. The PW re-times the flash so that it allows the higher sync speed. For it to work the flash duration has to be relatively slow.

It won't work with the Elinchrom A head because the A head has a short duration and there won't be enough light captured by the shutter while it's open.

Shoot inside a studio with little or no ambient and the short duration head means the duration becomes your effective shutter speed. Try it outside and you'll have nice ghosting effect from the ambient being recorded after the flash.

Post Thanks / Like

I should also point out that Tom Bol has blogged about the Elinchrom / Pocket Wizard high speed sync set up. In fact there's a lot of good information on his blog. None of it's rocket science. It's just a matter of the right tools used correctly.

D800, 1/4000 flash sync w/ Elinchrom Quadra and Pocket Wizard Hypersync Tom Bol Photo Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Kirk,
    Thanks for the link, i'll give that a read. You're correct (long/short), is the proper term. I do shoot with lots of reflective snow, so usually have plenty of ambient. I don't need a lot of light, but most use voltage lowering, (capacitor), or switching, so the flash duration is longer. I want crisp images for effect, but in a battery and head combo, the choices are few or expensive. Tail trimming is promising,(speedlights), but I need reflectors and modifiers, so those are not an option either. A recent shoot with 1200 w/s was too much and needed a dark ND to get the DOF I wanted. I will research the PW option too.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 25th December 2012 at 11:23.

Post Thanks / Like

If you need modifiers you'll be shooting Elinchrom or Profoto. I've seen a few Profoto battery powered packs go up in smoke is just a light drizzle. If you're going to shoot in snow and rain of any amount it's Elinchrom.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you need modifiers you'll be shooting Elinchrom or Profoto. I've seen a few Profoto battery powered packs go up in smoke is just a light drizzle. If you're going to shoot in snow and rain of any amount it's Elinchrom.
    Most of the inclement weather assignments I've been on actually used Hensel Battery Powered packs (as agency creative guy on car shoots, brake and tire shoots, etc.) ... which is why I personally used the older Hensel Porty for many years, then got the new Porty Lithium. A car shooter bought my older Hensel as soon as I put it up for sale.

The only issue I'd have with Hensel is trying to rent anything these days if traveling. Plus, the support/availability in the USA is weak. However, in studio or local location I have enough round plug Hensel heads to not worry about order time for replacement parts.

I am pretty sure that the newer Profoto battery units are better sealed and protected ... although I am as equally sure I would not include the Acute 600B AIR Lithium in that mix.

Modifiers requiring speed-rings can be mixed and matched at will now. Most of the location modifiers I now use on my Profoto and Hensel lights are Elinchrom Rotalux ... the 39" deep Octa being a particular favorite. Rotalux speed-rings now come in most mounts including Profoto and Hensel. The new Profoto RFi soft-boxes now offer a complete range of RFi speed-rings for virtually every brand of mount ... I now have a few smaller RFis which are okay, but not as easy to set-up/tear-down as the EL Rotaluxes.

I started with Elinchrom and came to hate the EL mount. Elinchrom really needs to address the toughness and security of their mount system one of these days. After finally switching to Profoto as my main system, I never had an issue with the mount and came to prefer the ability to alter the light by moving the modifier along the body of the heads. I still use a number of Elinchrom accessories like a gobo box, snoot, and background reflector thanks to the EL to Profoto adapter. The only Elinchrom unit I still use is the Quadra ... only because it is simply the smallest unit out there and perfect for a "one man band" shoot.

YMMV.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Usually everything is nicely protected from inclement weather, and actually Hensel is nicely sealed against moisture with its foil-like cover on top. The link to hyper sync with PW and Quadra is interesting, but there's quite a lot of chatter on the mount. I, personally have no experience, but enough comments have made me question it. Hensel has a pretty good mount, i've had no modifiers tip themselves, but stands need to be bagged! I agree that Hensel needs better U.S. distribution, it's a great product, but bulbs and mods need so much lead time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of the inclement weather assignments I've been on actually used Hensel Battery Powered packs (as agency creative guy on car shoots, brake and tire shoots, etc.) ... which is why I personally used the older Hensel Porty for many years, then got the new Porty Lithium. A car shooter bought my older Hensel as soon as I put it up for sale.

The only issue I'd have with Hensel is trying to rent anything these days if traveling. Plus, the support/availability in the USA is weak. However, in studio or local location I have enough round plug Hensel heads to not worry about order time for replacement parts.

I am pretty sure that the newer Profoto battery units are better sealed and protected ... although I am as equally sure I would not include the Acute 600B AIR Lithium in that mix.

Modifiers requiring speed-rings can be mixed and matched at will now. Most of the location modifiers I now use on my Profoto and Hensel lights are Elinchrom Rotalux ... the 39" deep Octa being a particular favorite. Rotalux speed-rings now come in most mounts including Profoto and Hensel. The new Profoto RFi soft-boxes now offer a complete range of RFi speed-rings for virtually every brand of mount ... I now have a few smaller RFis which are okay, but not as easy to set-up/tear-down as the EL Rotaluxes.

I started with Elinchrom and came to hate the EL mount. Elinchrom really needs to address the toughness and security of their mount system one of these days. After finally switching to Profoto as my main system, I never had an issue with the mount and came to prefer the ability to alter the light by moving the modifier along the body of the heads. I still use a number of Elinchrom accessories like a gobo box, snoot, and background reflector thanks to the EL to Profoto adapter. The only Elinchrom unit I still use is the Quadra ... only because it is simply the smallest unit out there and perfect for a "one man band" shoot.

YMMV.

-Marc
    I now don't hate the Elinchrom mount as much as I used to after learning to put the light on the mod vs the other way around. OTOH if I were annoyed another 10% I would probably go the same way as Marc.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Moved from Elinchrom app. 2 years ago to Profoto and haven't looked back. Great build quality, durable as hell, strong swivel mount that will take anything, and a modifier mount that deserves it's reputation.

No experience w/Hensel as their distribution in Canada is even worse than in US - shame as they have some nice and unique gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do remember seeing people shooting with Hensel modified mounts. Hard to say which one is worse, the Hensel of the Elinchrom. I just use the Elinchrom > Profoto adapters and any time I use anything larger than the Maxi or 27" Deep Octa it's through the E>P mount adapter and a Profoto modifier.

Hensel makes some of the greatest modifiers in the world. But you have to be on the European side of the world to purchase them. North American availability is limited at best and typically non-existent.

Since the original Porty pre-dates the Elinchrom RX AS, and the old Porty hasn't been in production for a couple of years, I'd bet your experience with them is a few years ago Marc.

Post Thanks / Like

I've mulled over the merits of each system, and how this fits into my style. I think one of the key factors for me, comes down to the user replaceable items, such as flash tubes and lamps. Personally, if considering Hensel, then order a flash tube/modeling lamp(s), and any modifier you think you might use now, because it can take weeks or longer to have them in stock. I'm going to try PCB and VLM on ski shoot soon, this combo's portability factor is hard to beat, and I know what I can do with 40w/s! Turnaround for Profoto is far better than Hensel, and its mount is good, but for what I need from a strobe PCB seems to be the answer. PCB has a really good warranty too, and turnaround for tubes and flash is approaching legendary status.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 28th December 2012 at 07:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to try PCB and VLM on ski shoot soon, this combo's portability factor is hard to beat
    Let me know how that works out for you. I've been eying that system for a while. I think that a couple VMLs and a couple Einsteins would probably handle my outdoor portable needs pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

In 30 years of shooting I've only had to replace a flashtube on a brand new Elinchrom. It failed the second day I used it and was covered by warranty.

I've watched so many users have PCB gear fail I wouldn't touch the stuff. He markets to a price point, quality is secondary. Look at the enthusiast market, weekend wedding shooter etc., they love his stuff. Read their forums, they're all sending something in for the 'great warranty' service. I don't remember the last time I had to send a Profoto or Elinchrom piece in for repair.

Just my opinion, work with whatever suits you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Kirk, that's good info. I consider modeling lamps to be consumable, but aside from those my total lighting equipment failures are a Dynalite cap and a Norman socket that cracked from overheating, but that one was abuse, we were flogging that pony. I have also replaced a couple Norman 400b flash tubes, but they are cheap and I don't mind. The modeling light stopped working on one Integra on the last shoot and it isn't the bulb, so that is going to have to go in for repair.

If I bought into Buff gear it would replace the Norman 400s and the Dynalites as lightweight field gear. I like the idea of having a light stand or two where the light, power supply and stand are self contained, easy to move and have a short flash duration.

When the Einsteins first came out I heard a few horror stories of them melting, but I haven't really paid any attention to the current state of things.
    Last edited by Bill_Green; 28th December 2012 at 13:29.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I do remember seeing people shooting with Hensel modified mounts. Hard to say which one is worse, the Hensel of the Elinchrom. I just use the Elinchrom > Profoto adapters and any time I use anything larger than the Maxi or 27" Deep Octa it's through the E>P mount adapter and a Profoto modifier.

Hensel makes some of the greatest modifiers in the world. But you have to be on the European side of the world to purchase them. North American availability is limited at best and typically non-existent.

Since the original Porty pre-dates the Elinchrom RX AS, and the old Porty hasn't been in production for a couple of years, I'd bet your experience with them is a few years ago Marc.
    Yep, I used the older Porty for a number of years, and sold it only to get the newer Lithium version for it's much smaller size/weight and because it comes with three radio systems built in ... Hensel's strobe Wizard, Free Mask, and Profoto AIR (which allows me to mix lighting on locations with the Profoto Acute 600B AIR Lithium. The new one uses the same sealed digital touch controls.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In 30 years of shooting I've only had to replace a flashtube on a brand new Elinchrom. It failed the second day I used it and was covered by warranty.

I've watched so many users have PCB gear fail I wouldn't touch the stuff. He markets to a price point, quality is secondary. Look at the enthusiast market, weekend wedding shooter etc., they love his stuff. Read their forums, they're all sending something in for the 'great warranty' service. I don't remember the last time I had to send a Profoto or Elinchrom piece in for repair.

Just my opinion, work with whatever suits you.
    Ditto, same opinion here.

I think it is great that PCB offers some decent stuff, if only because it has helped more people get involved with lighting that may not have other-wise. Kudos for that. However, I would tread carefully if you plan on any demanding enthusiast's use, or professional use, or intend on a longer term involvement with lighting ... or less importantly, prefer decent looking industrial design

I started out with stuff that was inexpensive but seemed decent, and quickly learned that no matter what hype is out there, you basic get what you pay for one way or the other.

The only recent change I made in my Profoto system was to sell off my Profoto Compact Rs and replace them with D1 AIRs to facilitate altering output on heads buried in a softbox 12' up on a stand. The value equation showed up immediately because I sold the 4 Compacts the day I listed them, and got almost as much as I had originally paid for them. As far as I know, those Compacts are still working just fine.

I have replacement tubes for my Hensel Heads, and a bunch of Porty modeling bulbs ... haven't had to replace anything yet (they'll probably last forever just because I have replacements, LOL!)

I have a Hensel Mini 1200 with round plug heads that I used for years and years doing industrial location stuff ... we used to shoot all day long with that little pup and a couple of Integra Pro Plus monos ... the only drawback was the Hensel Strobe Wizard didn't have the distance of a PW or Profoto AIR transmitter ... but I've since discovered they make a better antenna which significantly increases the distance for the Mini.

For location work that isn't terribly demanding, I'd opt for a Profoto Acute 600B and 600B head ... or a Elinchrom Quadra over anything PCB makes. Honestly, the EL Quadra is so comparatively demure that it actually promotes take-with. The freaking heads will fit in your pocket, I kid you not Putting a PCB Einstein with a modifier out on the end of a mobile painter's pole is a real back breaker compared to the Quadra head.

YMMV, etc.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I have also replaced a couple Norman 400b flash tubes, but they are cheap and I don't mind.
    I shot with 200Bs endlessly and never burned up a tube. By the time the 400B had come out I'd moved over to Metz because they offered TTL through the 500CM.

I also had Norman P4000D pack with a twin tube head that let me shoot 8X10 with fewer repeated pops in the studio. I just had to keep a window open because it created ozone when it fired at 4000WS. Sold all that gear after years of use and original tubes still working.

Though the Norman was built like a tank I sure don't miss watching an assistant plug a head into a charged Norman and go flying across the room.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll know soon enough if PCB will fit my style for remote location stuff. I literally have to hike a thousand feet above tree line in 3feet of snow to the location, and with my ski gear and Think Tank bag loaded, there's no room for my Hensel L1200. PCB Einstein 's do much better in terms of freezing action when dialed down around 40 to 160 w/s, much better than Profoto or Hensel. If I do switch to Profoto, ll wait for a promo. At least with the VLM, i can plug in other lights, such as D1's in "bat" mode or charge a laptop.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll know soon enough if PCB will fit my style for remote location stuff. I literally have to hike a thousand feet above tree line in 3feet of snow to the location, and with my ski gear and Think Tank bag loaded, there's no room for my Hensel L1200. PCB Einstein 's do much better in terms of freezing action when dialed down around 40 to 160 w/s, much better than Profoto or Hensel. If I do switch to Profoto, ll wait for a promo. At least with the VLM, i can plug in other lights, such as D1's in "bat" mode or charge a laptop.
    Interesting problem John. Definitely wouldn't want to lug a Porty 1200L and Speed P heads in those conditions ...unless I had a Sherpa assistant

To be honest, if I was doing the carrying, I wouldn't want to lug an Einstein or Einsteins and VML(s) either. Plus I really do not like their modifier mount even in the studio, let alone outdoor blustery conditions.

For your conditions/output needs, my choice would be the EL Quadra in a New York heartbeat ... which does 1/6000 duration @ 134Ws using A (Action) heads and the B outlet at full output. While the Lithium battery would provide more pops, I'd probably opt for using the lead-gell Quadra battery since Lithium is less robust in lower temps (this is according to Elinchrom). Living in Michigan, "The Winter Wonderland", I kept my Lead batteries just for this reason Let us know how the PCB VML's do in extend cold and/or damp conditions as I have a couple of them myself.

Personally, I've never once had an issue freezing action with most any of this gear, especially dialed to below 200Ws. Lots of winter sports and super action work being done with all types of gear ... but I don't know exactly what you are shooting, and am sure you have figured out exactly what you need and why.

All the best success with whatever you end up with, and please share your experiences and photos ... sounds intriguing

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice Marc, I'm doing a series of dramatic, above tree line skiing shots in New England. New England above tree line is a really cold location this time of year, nothing like the West. I did this hike last year without lights, and it was quite a workout! My modifier would be a LTR, and the battery(VLM) would be tucked right next to my "jimmies", so should stay warm...I hope! My concern with the Quadra is the mount, it looks like a turn and lock type of mount, but what's keeping it from turning back out? The Hensel mount, i've been told is similar to PCB. I've had great success with the Hensel, even driving on a truck rig, hanging out the back with the 22inch BD. The PCB seems like it would benefit with a recessed lip of sorts, to insure those prongs stay engaged. I'm not sure taking PCB to this location to demo their unit is fair, but at least it will be all downhill from there... I think the Quadra has a very cool product on paper though. The size looks perfect with two heads, and at 3.5 lbs very light indeed! The Hensel is strictly my battery supply, but studio stuff will be mostly D1 Air's, as i'm a big fan of the Air Sync, the best range of any! Yes, the AC mains adapter is possible, but i'd rather get a light or modifier and get full control over several lights. Now if only I can use the D1's on a VLM, with "bat" mode! As a side note, Joel Grimes shoots with Einsteins, although, I'm not a big fan of composite photography, his portraits are superbly lit!
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 29th December 2012 at 07:41.