The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto Zpro Heads

gazwas

So I'm about to pull he trigger on a ProB3 but would like some opinions on head choice.
I can either get a single Pro Head or two ProB heads for virtually the same deal and I'm stuck with what to do.......

The B3 is for location lighting and the type of stuff I'll be shooting (industrial or interiors) usually only ever requires one light source per lighting position meaning the second B head might not be used that much and trailing head extension wires in these environments are never a very good option. However, two heads are better than one right?

So, is it a no brainer to get the two ProB heads or are the full Pro heads that much better in use?

Dustbak

If you plan on using the heads on generators like the D4, Pro8 or B4 I would go for the Prohead. if that is not the case I would go for the 2 B-heads. Are they the newer B-plus heads?

gazwas

Not the new plus heads they are the older version. Apart from the plug and new flash tube (which will fit the old heads) there is no difference I've been told.

The old B heads will work with the new B4 battery generator but not the stdio packs. So apart from using the full pro heads on studio packs is there any ither must havd feature over the B heads?

Dustbak

Not that I am aware of. The Proheads have the regulated fan which is not in the B heads but since you will most certainly not making much use of modelling lights (I guess you will also not machine gunning the pack) this is of little use to you.

Allegedly the Proheads have more color stability and output stability but I always wonder whether that makes a big difference. I figure in most cases not.

gazwas

Allegedly the Proheads have more color stability and output stability but I always wonder whether that makes a big difference. I figure in most cases not.
Interesting point, I'll ask my dealer. Possibly with active cooling the pro head might be more stable due to the temp regulation? However the fan coud be a negative on a battery pack due to extra power drain. When does the pro head fan kick in - all the time, modeling only or when they are being gunned?

That said shooting on location in factories and mixed lighting interiors a few hundred kelvin will be neither here or there in the grand sceme of things.

Dustbak

I have been paying attention to the fan last weekend. It spins a little when in normal use. The faster (noisier) mode kicked in when I had the modelling light on for a while. (10 min. or so).

I am not the gunning type of photographer, the thought of having to wade through hundreds of almost identical images to sort out the ones to keep is one of my biggest nightmares). I cannot say if that will kick in the second phase of cooling, I would not be surprised if it did.

gazwas

So if the fans run all the time (at a low speed), the ProB head is the better option with a battery generator then?

fotografz

Get the two heads.

Even if you rarely use it for a two light configuration, you will always have a back-up for your standard one light use.

I'm a paranoid believer in back-ups when you have the choice. Shyt happens, even to Profoto stuff.

-Marc