The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

External power source for Studio strobes

waki

Has anyone heard anything about or tried this power unit? Introducing the New Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator Kit | GOAL ZERO Blog | Read & Comment About Portable Solar Power Topics

I'm a 600R user when shooting outdoors, but oft times it would be nice to bring my Acute2 1200 with or a couple of D1's. I know I can use Vagabonds with the D1's but I was looking at a power unit that could do other duties at times. I cover gravel/dirt bicycle races and can be very mobile and out all day and into the night so a generator power unit like this could help with powering my laptop, a router, plus perhaps my lights. Cost is about ~$1799 with the solar panels to charge which, if it would work, is better than spending it on a BatPac. I could even use this out camping.....or during power failures.

All I can tell from the site is "safe with all electronic devices" its got a lead acid cell rated at 100ah, and delivers a pure sine waveform. I have sent a question to the manufacturer about photographic lights, but figured to ask around here too.

Thanks!

Hi,
I have a dyna-lite xp1100. It works for what you would need. I've actually used it with a 2400 acute pack on slow recycle. I might be selling it actually, because I haven't used it in a while. Let me k ow if you want more info on it or message me if you are interested.

Cheers,
Josh

waki

I'm very familiar with the XP1100 and it is a good power pack. The XP1100 would indeed power the strobes but it wouldn't be worth much for the other "chores".

Thanks. Still, if you decide to sell it drop me a note.

Yeah, these are two completely separate type of devices. I'll have a better idea of what I'm going to do early next week. I'll be in touch.

Thanks,
Josh

fotografz

I have the BatPac which I got new for under $1,500 by being patient. My main purpose was not only some location work, but as a back-up power source in the studio should a power outage happen in the middle of a shoot ... I live in a heavily wooded area of Michigan and that has happened to me twice now. Using the supplied Charger-2 the BatPac can be left plugged in to the AC outlet indefinitely, so it's always fully ready. (BTW, Solar charging is not a dog that hunts in Michigan : -) I've run all kinds of stuff off the BatPac when needed,

I also use a pair of PCB Vagabond Mini's to run the D1s when I want more "Profoto" than the Acute B 600 AIR on location. Those work like a charm with the D1s set to BAT. Besides being truly "mini" compared to everything else, the chief advantage is that they require no long cords to a central power source ... just clamp them to the stand and nothing is touching the ground. Best bang for the buck on the planet IMO.

I'd investigate the ability of the Goal Zero unit to power D1s and Acute 1200 very closely. I'm not an engineer, but do know that some power sources won't work well with some lighting units.

Best of luck. If you do get it, come back and give us a report.

-Marc

J

jamadophotography

Haven't heard of that. I usually just use alien bees. They haven't let me know yet.

waki

I'm still looking around at portable power sources....thought i would share the news about Dynalite offering a replacement for the XP1100, its been said "in December" which is here and I have heard nothing. I was catching a video by Jay P Morgan on his site called theslantedlens.com and he is sponsored by dynalite (he is the NASCAR of photo sponsor guys if ever) and he was mobile using the new unit. He even mentioned a December announcement. The bag had Godox all over so I'm thinking a LP-750 or variant.

Just in case y'all were interested....