The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paul Buff thoughts

johnnygoesdigital

Okay, so I did a quick demo for a client using a PCB Einstein and VLM. The location was a New England Ski area and the idea was to just test the functions and portability, and most importantly...reliability of these components. The actual shoot will utilize wireless triggers, being tethered to a camera, well... just plain sucks!
It was partly cloudy with forecasts for 4000/6000 ft. for strong upslope gusts, temps in the 20's f. Without going to too much detail (first impressions only), the unit functioned perfectly. I was convinced I'd have to change batteries, but it kept popping when needed. I even left the modeling light on with no appreciable battery drain. Only reflectors were used for this demo and they stayed put. I understand the comments about the balcar mount, and personally think a lip on the modifier and a recess on the "fingers", would be a small improvement to security, but nonetheless, it held tight.
I liked this combo so far... this image was a quick snap...

Last edited:

eekimel

Nice image. I have a VML that I use @ the beach on occasion (when not using Quadras) but while the beach presents itself with one kind of "wet" issue, snow is a little different. Were you just securing the VML to the stand, or did you have it shielded from occasional bits of flying moisure in a different fashion?

kdphotography

It isn't that the Balcar mount is that horrible or doesn't work. The reason the Balcar mount "sucks" is that it leaves more room for error by the photographer in not securing modifiers, e.g., not seeing that one of the metal fingers is locked correctly onto the speed ring. With care, it's "okay." Definitely room for improvement. But it's also hard to beat that performance price point. I've heard of photographer's using "rubber bands" of sorts to keep more pressure on the Einstein spring levers. I've never had to do that. It's a Love-almost hate relationship but it works.

The VML works great and really holds it charge. I've used it to power strobes triggered wirelessly at a wedding reception where a power source was not available, and the VML lasted all night long. I wouldn't use modeling lights though.

Where the price point really hits home is when using wireless high speed flash sync. The Einstein flash duration and cyber sync triggers work well on the Phase DF. Hate the watch type batteries the CST trigger uses though, and it's a good idea to keep a spare battery in the bag. (Cybersync transceiver CSXCV on Einstein used with Cybersync trigger CST).

I use this bracket to secure the VML to a lightstand: The VML Bracket - The Ultimate Vagabond Mini Lithium Mounting Solution which works great.

johnnygoesdigital

Nice image. I have a VML that I use @ the beach on occasion (when not using Quadras) but while the beach presents itself with one kind of "wet" issue, snow is a little different. Were you just securing the VML to the stand, or did you have it shielded from occasional bits of flying moisure in a different fashion?
The VLM just hung from the stand, like an impromptu sandbag. There were a few moments of snow bits here and there, but nothing infiltrated the unit. We have rain covers that can be cinched and still be used while attached to the light.

johnnygoesdigital

kdphotography-

I've heard of those spring clamp issues too, but it seems to be okay now. The VLM is an interesting option. I don't have experience with Cybersync, but this combo's price point is worth looking at for total lighting control and portability.