The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto D1/Senso A4/Einstein 640

fotografz

Thanks for the clarification guys. Do you think it's better to buy grids for the zoom reflector 2? Or get the d1 specific grids?

The kit comes with a 20 degree grid with two softboxes. I was thinking of getting the dome and 2 zoom reflector 2.

Any suggestions from you guys? I'm looking to get a large softbox but not set on what to get yet.
Which kit is this? Is it this Profoto 3 light kit?

Profoto D1 Air 3 Head Studio Kit - 2- 1000W/s / 1- 500W/s 901088

If so, it is a 10º D1 grid.

RE: Grids

I have all three D1 slip on grids, and leave one D1 with the flat glass diffuser for their use. However, my system is mature and more complete with two D4/2400 generators and a host of D4 heads, an army of unused zoom reflectors that came with D4 heads

IMO, the Zoom Reflector 2 is a far more versatile tool for you at this stage because it accepts more accessories ... including a 5º grid not available in the D1 grid series, and stuff like filter holders, barndoors, etc.

The caveat to the Zoom Reflector 2 is that you are forced to buy the much more expensive Profoto grids as opposed to the just as good ones from almost anyone else that fit the older Profoto 7" grid reflector ... read the reviews here:

Profoto 7" Grid Reflector for Profoto Flash Heads 100705

I'd say just get one zoom reflector for now, and get two domes for the D1s because you'll need the domes in softboxes or a beauty dish.

RE: Modifiers

Consider a 20" beauty dish

Profoto White Softlight "Beauty Dish" Reflector 100608

Soft-boxes:

Here's a Profoto 4' X 6' RFi that is bundled with a 50º honeycomb fabric grid for $508, plus the RFi Profoto speed-ring @ $110.

Profoto RFi 4.0 x 6.0' Softbox with Grid Kit B&H Photo Video

Be aware that regular large softboxes like this RFi are NOT easy to set-up and tear down, and are best left set-up if you have the room.

For easier set-up/tear down, I recommend the 69" Elinchrome Rotalux Octabox @ $410, plus the Profoto Rotalux speed-ring @ $120.

Elinchrom EL 26186 69" Rotalux Octa Softbox EL 26186 B&H

However, any big soft-box is NOT easy to set-up and tear down, especially if working alone on location. That is when something like this 65" XL Parabolic can be a God sent ... including the front diffuser for the XL.

Profoto XL Umbrella - White (65" / 165 cm) 100326 B&H Photo

Lastly, do not expect to put any of these big modifiers on the stands that come with the kit. Look to buying nice sturdy C stands.

-Marc

johnnygoesdigital

Agreed, the stands that come with these kits are garbage. B&H has Matthew stands in many sizes. Add a couple of sand bags (shipped empty, get play sand at local store), and you're good for most modifiers on a vertical and slight boom. One more plug for PB...there grids are as good as any i've used (Hensel, Profoto), and a 7in. grid cost less than $20. Same construction imo. Also, i'm not sure of speed ring adapters, but PB soft boxes are incredibly durable and easy to set up/ take down. The stitching and fabric are really strong. I can sometimes be a lighting gear snob, but some of the Paul Buff gear has really been quite good with their modifiers.

pophoto

What are the best large softboxes for setup and tear down? Do they exist?

Also anyone know if the Profoto XL Umbrella works with Elinchrom Ranger or quadra via a speedring or mount?

Thanks!
Po

I don't really use large softboxes. Mainly the broncolor para. But there are some softboxes that have Velcro on the corners that serve as a quick release. So when you want to break it down you pull on the and the rods slide through, releasing the tension. The photoflex light domes have this feature and they are very reasonably priced. Also, the photek soft lighter umbrella is another gorgeous lighting tool that is really affordable. Most umbrella's work with any strobe same with soft boxes, as long as you have the correct speedring...

whiskey01

Marc, thank you so much for the detailed response, and everyone else as well for contributing!

You're right Marc, it is a 10 degree grid. I think I'll get the following to start

2x1000 + 1x500 kit
1 zoom reflector 2
2 domes
1 USB Air Sync

Also going to try the paul c buff large soft box.

Paul C. Buff - Foldable Softboxes

doing some research, people have had success changing the speed ring adaptor with

SP Studio Systems Speed Ring for Profoto SPARPR1 B&H Photo Video

Should be a good start. Then when I get more jobs, I can either get a d4 2400 pack or get more d1 heads if power is sufficient.

Looking forward to all of this. The studio that I rent has tons of C-stands, so it should be sufficient for grip and I can avoid the kit stands for heavy modifiers.

I am also looking to get a beauty dish with grid.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I feel like I'm heading in the right direction both short and long term.

whiskey01

Marc, thanks for the lengthy reply and everyone else who chipped in.

I think I'm going to start with the following...

2x1000w/s + 1x500 w/s kit
1 zoom reflector 2
2 domes
1 usb air sync

For softbox I think I'm going to try Paul Buff's giant softbox along with the grid.

Paul C. Buff - Foldable Softboxes

I have read that people have had success using this speed ring adaptor with paul buff's speed ring

SP Studio Systems Speed Ring for Profoto SPARPR1 B&H Photo Video

The studio that I rent when I'm shooting has tons of C-stands to use, so I'm not so concerned about grip, and also means I don't have to depend on the kit stands for anything really heavy.

Now I'm looking at a beauty dish with grid. Not sure if the Profoto one that was linked above offers a grid.

Thanks for everyone's help! I feel like this is a good direction for both my short and long term needs.

Yeah, but its really nice, well worth it. You can even put a diffuser over beauty dish, then put the grid on.so it's even softer but doesn't stray and still has a bit of an edge... As well as controlling the light spill more without the diffuser.

whiskey01

Thanks for the help guys! looks like I'm going to rent the profoto beauty dish when my lights get it. the 3 head kit is a special order for my local shop, so I won't get them for another 3-4 weeks :(

Thanks for the Kupo link, to be honest I've only ever heard of Manfrotto and Avenger, so this helps!

Kirk Candlish

Thanks for the help guys! looks like I'm going to rent the profoto beauty dish when my lights get it. the 3 head kit is a special order for my local shop, so I won't get them for another 3-4 weeks :(

Thanks for the Kupo link, to be honest I've only ever heard of Manfrotto and Avenger, so this helps!
Kupo is the Chinese knock off of Mattews/Manfrotto/Avenger.