The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wedding and event workflow?

Rawfa

Hey guys,

As many of you know photography is not what supports me, but I have been getting more and more request to cover weddings and events from time to time. I actually work as a project manager during the week and I´m not planning to quit it to become a professional photographer, but I WOULD like to protograph professionally from time to time. I did a couple of portraits for actors so far but that´s easy work under controlled circumstances....my biggest doubt is when it comes to stuff like weddings or events, where circumstances keep changing erractly. I mean, I usually shoot manually ALL the time, but I would think that in circumstances like that this would be a bit impossible. So, what do most people do? Do you guys shoot with apperture priority or something? I´m very curious.

Valentin

Hi Rawfa,

My suggestion is to decline those jobs. It sounds you are not ready to cover weddings/events. I would start assisting another wedding photographer (preferably several events) to see what's involved.

Unlike portraits, weddings are uncontrolled events and most IMPORTANTLY: one time shot. If you mess up, there is no do over.

To answer your question: I shoot 100% manual. I have photographer friends that shoot 100% aperture priority. And others a combination of the two. There is no right or wrong; just what it's easier for you.

aztwang

Rawfa,
My 2 cents....I would suggest watching some videos on Cliff Mautner. He is a very successfull wedding photog( Named as Top 10 in he world by some big wedding organization) He keep things simple and clean. And I agree with Valentin, hold off foe awhile and make sure you are confident & ready.