The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wind-Up or Crank style light stands

I am shopping for a "wind-up", or "crank" style heavy duty light stand to hold a Mola Setti Beauty Dish & Dynalite electronic flash head on a boom arm. *This combination is currently mounted on a Matthews*Hollywood Baby Jr. Stand, which is plenty strong, but a bear to extend upwards given the combined weight of the gear. Matthews used to make a crank up stand called the "Mini Vator Triple Stage Crank Up Stand", but they no longer make them and so far I have not found one used. The only other manufacturers are Avenger & Manfrotto, which are part of the same company. Avenger offers two models, an 8'5" and a 12'8". Manfrotto offers three models, 8', 9', & 12'. I live far from any dealers that might stock these stands, so I am reaching out to see if anyone has experience or suggestions with any of these models. Or, if you have a Matthews Mini Vator for sale, please let me know! Thanks. Mark Weidman