Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Profoto B1 500 AIR TTL

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Profoto B1 500 AIR TTL

No way am I hanging a B1 off an overhead boom arm, any more than I'd hang a D1.

Initially, that was my thought too, but in the situations where I do need a boom on location, i'll have an assistant. AcuteB2 Air's sell for $500 more and don't even include a head. Other than size and a slight increase in power there's no comparison between the two for my style of shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I do agree about sales for the AcuteB2 Air being affected, but perhaps that's be phased out anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    If they replace the B600 with full digital AIR, it'll cost an arm and a leg.
    I feel the reason the B1 is being billed as the "strobists" Profoto light is we will see an updated range of Acutes that gain much of the functionality of the B1 but in pack form and undercut the cost of the big daddy, big wallet Pro range.

The Acute range must be a massive seller for Profoto but is looking tired IMO - 2014 and still no Air control, only Air sync! Acute users don't need the blisterinlg fast recycle times but we do want digital accuracy and Air power control etc.

But I agree, considering the B1 is priced on the high side (but well worth it), it paves the way for a price hike for the all digital, AcuteB3 AirTTL.

I'd order one tomorrow!!

Post Thanks / Like

[I]Other than size and a slight increase in power there's no comparison between the two for my style of shooting.
    I agree.

I love my AcuteB2's sooo much and we will never part but hate when working alone I can't control the packs from camera. The B1 solved this problem overnight and are a joy to use with the new AirTTL controller.

For me, this convenience far outweighs any negatives about size and weight of the heads by a long, long stretch. Now I have tasted the joys of using the B1's, I'll never buy another ActueB until they are upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, this convenience far outweighs any negatives about size and weight of the heads by a long, long stretch. Now I have tasted the joys of using the B1's, I'll never buy another ActueB until they are upgraded.

I agree...I actually sold my AcuteB2 gear in favor of the B1's after a recent shoot in an ice storm. Adjusting power and cables on an icy incline was not pretty. I do like the size of the AcuteB's, but it is outdated. Hensel really nailed it withe the L1200, built in Profoto Air, and weather sealing. It would only make sense for Profoto to have an AcuteB3 with the same functionality.

Post Thanks / Like

For all the B1/D1 owners, what stands do you recommend? I shoot primarily location portraits with modifiers like a beauty dish, and 39" octoboxes.
    Prefer the stand to be compact for storage purposes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use Mathews C stands and steel Hollywoods in studio, but only occasionally on location (IF I have beefy boy assistants to lug it all ).

Outdoors, I recommend looking for regular "general purpose" folding stands with a large "footprint" diameter for more stability outdoors, and a leveling leg for uneven terrain. Beware of the so called "stacking stands" that nestle together for storage, as they often have a small footprint when opened (some are 4' or less).

The height needed is up to you, but keep in mind that the more riser sections the stand has, the weaker it gets when extended to full height. Air cushioned helps when using heavier heads like a Monoblock.

This one has a 5' diameter footprint which is pretty good

Manfrotto 007BUAC Alu Senior Stand with Leveling 007BUAC B&H

This one has a 4.5 ' diameter footprint:

Lowel GS Grand Stand Air Cushioned Light Stand - 10.5' (3.1m) GS

Hope this helps,

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I had my first shooting with a actor and the B1. Late in the night just for fun I would see what is possible with 500Ws (I have also a Hensel Porty 1200L, but never tried that). I find its pretty impressive. The Church is really big...
    125/sec F3.2 at 200ISO. The second one is without flash, same time etc.
    Anyway, also to work with the B1 in the city was really a pleasure. We walked around, my assisten hold the B1 over here head. No cables, just great!
    rem

Post Thanks / Like

Hi !
    This was lit with a B1 and octa 3'. I had 2 from Profoto France to test them (beta unit).

Post Thanks / Like

I showed up to the shoot having forgotten my 5D3 batteries sitting inside the chargers at home (35 miles away)
    Luckily my friend and assistant had an old 50D (different battery) which I used with my own lenses. I was really surprised the files were this good from a camera, even new, was never known for good image quality.
    All images photographed using a one B1, and a 25 degree grid.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    I showed up to the shoot having forgotten my 5D3 batteries sitting inside the chargers at home (35 miles away)
    Luckily my friend and assistant had an old 50D (different battery) which I used with my own lenses. I was really surprised the files were this good from a camera, even new, was never known for good image quality.
    All images photographed using a one B1, and a 25 degree grid.
    Proving once again that good lighting can have more impact on images than what camera you use.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Matias,

I always enjoy your lighting set ups...nice! Sharokin, I also like the low contrasty feel of your tighter portrait-almost film-like.

As it turns out the B1's are not fast enough for my needs and I have no use for TTL, but that feature was never the draw for me. The fastest duration is really somewhere around 2w/s of output and the full power output speed is somewhere around 1/200 of a second at t0.1. I am really intrigued with wireless lighting though.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dibs on Johhny's B1 units!

-Chad

Post Thanks / Like

My initial excitement over the B1 has wavered a little and while I still think they are a wonderful lamp I'm not getting on with their size. Stick a modifier on them and you notice their size is quite considerable.

I went back to the AcuteB's as the first lights out of the bag on shoots and only used the B1's when needed. I quite like the bare bulb output (no modifier) of the AcuteB head but this is impossible with the B1 unless you mount the pyrex dome and again I didn't like these as they add to the already long length of the B1 and their attachment method is a little flimsy IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Single B1 with a PF RFi 3.0 Octa with a grid. Shot with a 5D3, 135L @F/2.8
    Last edited by Sharokin; 7th April 2014 at 20:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    For some reason I can't upload my photo.
    Upload to your user gallery and paste a link from the image into your post is the best method.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    My initial excitement over the B1 has wavered a little and while I still think they are a wonderful lamp I'm not getting on with their size. Stick a modifier on them and you notice their size is quite considerable.

I went back to the AcuteB's as the first lights out of the bag on shoots and only used the B1's when needed. I quite like the bare bulb output (no modifier) of the AcuteB head but this is impossible with the B1 unless you mount the pyrex dome and again I didn't like these as they add to the already long length of the B1 and their attachment method is a little flimsy IMO.
    Interesting to go back a few posts and compare excited conjecture with reality. The strength of the Acute Bs is still their tiny size but big-head output.

Having worked with the D1s for some time, including with PCB batteries on location, I knew the size would be a bit of an issue … with a decent modifier that's a lot of weight out on the end of a boom arm or up 12 feet on a stand.

If I shot with Canon, I'd probably already have a pair of these B1s for mobile work like weddings and such where I could set these in a reception room and shoot away using on-camera fill. But for Acute B2-600AIRs Lithium walk-about type work with a "painter's stick" assistant, the assistant becomes the "remote"

Unfortunately, it'll be a month of Sundays before Profoto offers TTL for any cameras I own, and probably never for my Leica S2-P. That's the downside of using Sony … hardly any new tech lighting solutions apply. Old school works just fine anyway.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Interesting to go back a few posts and compare excited conjecture with reality. The strength of the Acute Bs is still their tiny size but big-head output.
    Indeed, however if you've never used an AcuteB you'd wonder what all my moaning was about as the B1 is one super head and offers some amazing features.

But.... for all its ageing, primitive design nothing beats the AcuteB2 in terms of light quality in an ultra compact package. I sorely miss mine already and I only sold them a few days ago.......

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, having not used the AcuteB's, I have no reference point, for me the B1 is superb and I've not yet come to a point where I wish it was smaller, that day will probably come, it's not an issue in the studio but out on location I can see the potential for issues.

I'm waiting for news on the para though Gaz, what's the score?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed, however if you've never used an AcuteB you'd wonder what all my moaning was about as the B1 is one super head and offers some amazing features.

But.... for all its ageing, primitive design nothing beats the AcuteB2 in terms of light quality in an ultra compact package. I sorely miss mine already and I only sold them a few days ago.......
    Yeah, I don't want to come off as dissing the B1s because they are a fantastic advancement in taking Monos mobile. Not everyone is hanging the light over the subject's head where all that weight produces nervous sweating

If I were a Canon shooter, I'd be all over the B1's … with their swift mobility, they are well suited for the higher end wedding and portrait shooter for sure. That's who Profoto seems to be targeting the B1s at lately:

Profoto - Justin And Mary

I see the good old Acute B2 Lithium AIRs with its' mostly analog dials and rocker switches like I do a good old Leica M or Hasselbald V analog camera … reliable to a fault, and no-brainer to use.

My Hensel Porty 1200L is all digital and well sealed against the elements, but I still love the familiar "old shoe" analog stuff …

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly, after using most of the lighting discussed here, the Paul Buff E640/VML was the most useful with the shortest duration and best price point!

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly, after using most of the lighting discussed here, the Paul Buff E640/VML was the most useful with the shortest duration and best price point!
    Possibly for someone who lives in the US but for the rest of the world a none starter IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly for someone who lives in the US but for the rest of the world a none starter IMO.
    I would strongly suggest the Hensel L1200 then. It's ProfotoAir is by far the best range of any. The sealed battery and tiny lights with detachable cables are a must for portability. I only sold mine because of the lack of USA support and customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Morning

I picked up the TTL N controller the other day to give it a go on the D800E, first commercial shoot with it yesterday and I was really impressed!

I shot a personal trainer who wanted dramatic shots, hard light and dark backgrounds, I got access to a local power station and I think it worked pretty well, client is happy anyway! One issue with the TTL N is the speed of setting things up, it literally took half the time, I hope I don't lose money with charging for less hours!

Here's a couple.

http://matrichardson.com/
    Workshops for 2018! http://www.matrichardson.com/workshops
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This really looks like a good set-up..... dream....