The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Profoto B1 500 AIR TTL

fotografz

My requirements often involves lighting equipment in large spaces or hiding lamp heads out of site. Working mainly alone means lots of walking for the final lighting tweaks with the Actutes. Industrial power supplies in factories (three phase?) means regular lights (Pro packs or D1's) cannot be used and battery is the safest power source. The ProB4 is ideal but out of my budget so the B1's sound perfect with their Air control and LCD power info for each attached lamp.
Perfect use for these lights IMO.

I used to do industrial photography quite a bit ... clients like American Axel ... and the distances were a giant pain in the *** when adjusting lights ... even with an assistant.

I went with Hensel for a lot of that work back then because they already had an on-camera adjustable transmitter ... unfortunately, the max distance was nothing like a PW or the new AIR units.

- Marc

gazwas

Don't get me wrong, I like this new light too, but will use it to compliment my current lights and modifiers as needed. The bi-tube is a must for the AcuteB!
I couldn't agree more and IMO we are overdue a AcuteB3 from Profoto with similar functionality as the B1. As I'm not a people shooter the vast improvement in functionality of the B1 over the AcuteB2 far outweighs the head weight on the end of a boom problem and is why I ordered the B1 over another AcuteB2 pack.

gazwas

Great find Marc!

Looks a little heavy on the end of that light stand however, certainly manageable. Will be nice to loose the head cable of the AcuteB head (always too shots or in the way when up high).

AC is probably possible but Profoto might think that would take too many sales away from the more expensive Acute and Pro battery packs?. I don't see why they can't produce a power adapter that swaps out for the battery pack that supplies the head with juice. Would be a great and rather an elegant addition but these are after all being offered as off camera flash rather than battery versions of the D1 (which I still find weird?).

johnnygoesdigital

I think it's looks a little heavy too. Not an issue with several assistants and HD Matthews stands though...Completely different scenario if your in remote, breezy locations with just one assistant who also has to hold the reflector! Packing bigger sand bags negates the portability, however. I'll use this light for when I shoot snowboarders and skiers because I frequently place the light low anyway and Profoto's range for the Air remote is absolutely the best in the biz. I'm certain more versions of this light will be available (250W/s, 1000W/s), but agree that a Acute B3 is would be nice too! I eagerly await my B1!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Adding these to your existing kits or even alone looks very tempting. I would love to have 2 of them myself. Ill at least get one starting in January for sure.

aztwang

Adding these to your existing kits or even alone looks very tempting. I would love to have 2 of them myself. Ill at least get one starting in January for sure.
Thought Nikon model was not released till 2nd quarter of 2014?

Last edited:

med

I believe only the controller is brand specific. If you're a Nikon shooter you can fire the B1s with a current Air transceiver (without TTL support obviously) and add the appropriate controller when it is available to get the extra features.

gazwas

Another example of why I think Profoto are wrong just pitching these at strobists. Without the the TTL feature these are still amazing lights for so many applications and can be fired with a Nikon, Phase, Hasselblad, Sony etc, etc with the normal Air Sync transmitter or Air controller. Non Canon shooters can use these lights just fine and should consider them battery D1's rather than off camera flash (??).

I hope these features filter up the range to the AcutesB's as even without the TTL function the new TTL Air controller looks just brilliant.

gazwas

There here!

Andrew at AJ's come through early on these beauties but still waiting for the AirTTL controller to arrive. Its just a shame I'm too busy today to even get these out of the box for a play.

fotografz

There here!

Andrew at AJ's come through early on these beauties but still waiting for the AirTTL controller to arrive. Its just a shame I'm too busy today to even get these out of the box for a play.

Lucky you! :thumbs:

Are the smaller boxes the domes (I hope)?

- Marc

gazwas

Are the smaller boxes the domes (I hope)?
Yep, domes and transport caps.

Never used the D1 style heads and not sure what to expect from the flat glass so giving the domes a trial. Many people I speak to claim the domes make very little difference to the light output for every day use and you only notice the differences testing against a flat white studio wall.

fotografz

Yep, domes and transport caps.

Never used the D1 style heads and not sure what to expect from the flat glass so giving the domes a trial. Many people I speak to claim the domes make very little difference to the light output for every day use and you only notice the differences testing against a flat white studio wall.
I have three D1's I use ... two 500s with domes, and a third 1,000 with the flat glass.

While the D1 domes aren't quite as effective as the domes found on other Profoto heads, they still do make a difference because they project into a modifier (like an Octabox) and use the whole interior reflective surface ... also when employing the sliding modifier feature such as Magnum it is more efficient projection of light I think.

I kept one without the dome because I really like the little slip on grids for the D1s ... which can't be used on heads with domes in place.

- Marc

gazwas

While the D1 domes aren't quite as effective as the domes found on other Profoto heads, they still do make a difference because they project into a modifier (like an Octabox) and use the whole interior reflective surface ... also when employing the sliding modifier feature such as Magnum it is more efficient projection of light I think.
Yes, I always thought the glass domes on Profoto heads were what contributed to their beatifully crunchy yet soft light light output but we shall have to see. Makes sense that the light is more uniform in bigger soft lights and reflectors and why I wanted to give them a go. Also better for bare bulb when you need to hide a light in a machine or behind a table to give some accent lighting.

gazwas

First trial with the B1's today so not an extensive test for the quality of light output but from a pure user experience I'm really impressed and would strongly recommend these light to anyone looking as a battery option.

What I first noticed when opening the boxes is the compact nature of these lights, even down to the XS bag that ships with the light. Much easier to pack into the car than the already compact AcuteB bag.

The quality of the included bag is excellent - very padded and well made and the head fits beautifully inside. Removing one on the spacers also allows the B1's to be stored with Domes and transport caps permanently - something I was worried about.

As expected, all is excellently made and functions as you'd expect a Profoto head to. The battery locks very firmly onto the head and the new charger has a great charge level indicator rather than the amber/green of old.

The main thing I noticed today (shooting interiors) was what a revelation it is to have no cable and generator attached to the lamp head - felt very strange at first but soon very liberating.

Can't wait for the TTL controller to arrive to add more functions but I honestly think even as a battery D1 this is a very special product from Profoto

johnnygoesdigital

Congrats on the B1's...

I'm not a fan of flat diffusers, even with domes, but for table top, and softboxes they're ideal. I also see the attraction for architecture too...no cables. I'd like to know what these are like on a stand with a BD, slightly extended on a boom because the weight of the B1 would be similar to my B2Air batt pack. Have fun with these!

Dustbak

Thanks! That is a bit of a pity. I would have loved for them being just a tad shorter (some cm's). The same size will work too though. The Elinchrom softbags for their monoblocs are ideal bags. You can fit 2 D1's in them. The bag has the ideal ratio of space and protective material., eg. you end up with being able to carry 2 in really small package.

I think I will just order 2 too and see for myself. There is currently a special tax depreciation period that allows 50% write off at once (until 31-12-2013) Just the excuse I need :)

Sharokin

Has anyone in the US received the B1's? I pre-ordered from B&H a few days after the announcement but keep getting a back order email from them. I talked to them last week and was told they only received two B1's so far.