The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why no Air module for Sekonic flash meters?

gazwas

So........

Sekonic must be the most widely used and respected meters around the globe. Be that professionally, by amateurs and probably 95% of all colleges and universities running photographic courses.

Profoto are one of the most highly regarded strobe manufacturer around the globe. Professionals, aspiring amateurs and up and coming students all look up to this brand and consider it top of its game and the norm in high end photography.

Why the hell can't they talk to each other and give us a Air sync module for our flash meters.

Is this not a relationship made in heaven??????

fotografz

Yes, it would be a marriage made in heaven.

I suspect that it is up to Sekonic to approach Profoto and secure the technology ... which I'm sure isn't free. I guess it would also matter whether they have an exclusive contract with Pocket Wizard.

Profoto seems open to sharing since all the new Hensel strobes come with both their own Strobe Wizard AND, Profoto AIR receivers built in. I can fire my Hensel Porty 1200L along with any Profoto AIR strobe using the Profoto AIR transmitter.

- Marc

gazwas

Yes, it would be a marriage made in heaven
I'm glad its not just me then and I find is very strange nothing has been developed, especially considering how well regarded the Profoto Air system has become.

I searched the net for information and there has been rumours of Sekonic developing a compatible module going back over two years ago now but still nothing has come to market? However, like you said Marc, Sekonic might be happily under the thumb of Pocket Wizard looking at their latest meter which has various PW features built directly into the meter.

Oh well, I guess for the rare occations I use a flash meter I'll just have to stick with the open flash mode on my 758 and the Air Sync test button! :(