The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor Love?

gazwas

OH and for you diehard Profoto B1 lovers I have one for sale...
Yes, absolutely no regrets selling off my Profoto gear. I wasn't bothered about the B1 (great light what it does but I didn't like them) but thought I'd really miss the little AcuteB's but the Move is just so good and I'm now a very happy owner of three Move kits.

Last edited:
M

mjr

Gaz, did you buy a para 88 or different light modifiers? Looking forward to seeing some shots lit with the Broncolor kit.

Mat

gazwas

Gaz, did you buy a para 88 or different light modifiers? Looking forward to seeing some shots lit with the Broncolor kit.

Mat
I got the Para 133 over the 88 and waiting for a P70 and honeycomb grid set to arrive today.

I've also had the 30x120 strip softbox from Bron's new range of softboxes to try out. Nobody seems to talk about Bron softboxes, only Profoto and Elinchrom so wanted to try them out before I bought any more. They just seemed too cheap compared to the competition but I can safely say they are extremely well made with very high quality fabrics and sturdy metal rods which are built to last years. The diffusers are great quality too and I got the optional third diffuser which produces a very clean even light.

The huge rectangular window light softbox with third diffuser might be my next purchase.

M

mjr

Looks good, I have been looking at modifiers to expand my options a little, I'll have a look at the bron models. I've read that the para 133 is superb, I was thinking about using the B1 on a para but feel the recessed tube may hinder the performance, not entirely sure though.

Anyway, good luck with it all, I hope it's good to work with.

Mat

gazwas

I was thinking about using the B1 on a para but feel the recessed tube may hinder the performance, not entirely sure though.
I've seen a B1 being used in a 180 Giant and it seemed to be doing a pretty good job but Bron's Para's are more parabolic shaped than the Profoto Giants. Not so sure it would reach the outer petals of the reflector for that wrapping effect? Pyrex dome might help on the B1 but I thought they were a bit of a compromise as they diffuse the direction of the light to widen the spread rather than diffuse the light direct from the tube as the Pro/Acute heads do.

I wouldn't buy one on the assumption it works with the dome, I'd try and hire/try one first.

aztwang

Gazwas just a note...If you can find used Bron ext cables they can be rewired so that they work with MobiLED ( so that the modeling light works )..saves a few hundred bucks! I traded a Profoto ext cable with a repair shop for a used Bron cable that he modified for the MobiLED. With the length or lack of cable legth on the MobiLED's, ext. cables are a must when using 2 lights per pack. Also if you have some images from the 133 send 'em over, would love to see them! I agree on the B1, Its a nice light but honestly when shooting a scene with my Move, I'm usually pretty dam close if not spot on with light levels first frame. The B1 takes the trial & error out of the equation , MOST OF THE TIME, but as we all know TTL is an average of the sensor, depending on settings and can be easily fooled depending on the background. On another note, IMHO the B1 can be a disadvantage to the photographer when it comes to learning light as it removes a good amount of theory and practice from strobe lighting. Don't get me wrong, its a great product and I can see a photographer grabbing it out of the bag for a shoot where they literally have minutes to capture the shot, but for now give me the Move and some great modifiers and I'm off to the races..Ciao...

M

mjr

I'm going to rent some kit next week, including a Leica S, business is actually going quite well at the moment.

I use the B1 fully manual, I'm a nikon shooter currently, what I like about the B1 is that I can be out in the forest, have it up high on a stand and be completely independent from it. I'm sure there's plenty of systems that can give you that freedom but as a newcomer to strobes, I'm learning to see what the light is doing and adjust from there, I'm getting so I can estimate pretty well to start and then it only takes a couple of shots to get things right, all good fun.

Anyway, I'd too like to see the quality of light from the 133 so looking forward to seeing some shots, no pressure Gaz!

Mat

gazwas

t.01 durations for the Bron pack are 1/8,500 at minimum energy (4W/s), and 1/350 at maximum.
Just wanted to correct that now having got the packs, the t.01 flash duration of 1/8500 on the Move is not just at its minimum power setting. The Move is still pumping out 1/8500sec (t.01) flash durations at 5.8 on the power settings (65Ws) which is a pretty health lump of power.

aztwang

"I've also had the 30x120 strip softbox from Bron's new range of softboxes to try out. Nobody seems to talk about Bron softboxes, only Profoto and Elinchrom so wanted to try them out before I bought any more. They just seemed too cheap compared to the competition but I can safely say they are extremely well made with very high quality fabrics and sturdy metal rods which are built to last years. The diffusers are great quality too and I got the optional third diffuser which produces a very clean even light.

The huge rectangular window light softbox with third diffuser might be my next purchase."

[/I][/SIZE]

I have the smaller octa and agree, they are well made. I wish they made a 6ft strip. I never thought about the "3rd diffuser" on the large softbox. I bet its very even & creamy.