Site Sponsors

Thread: bi-head for Elinchrom

Post Thanks / Like

bi-head for Elinchrom

greetings,
    Have googled but haven't seen any...
    I want to take 2 of my Ranger RXs and feed into one head,
    to then go into a Chinese lantern-type thingie.
    Hanging overhead over a group of people. Outdoors
    and to overpower ambient light.
    Generator not an option, otherwise, there's a Digital RX 3000w I believe?
    If the speed bump is real, will take advantage of that later...
    Perhaps a Profoto bi-head with an Eli adapter?

worst case, I'll have to jimmy two RX heads together inside a large lantern,
    and hang from a pole on two stands, each side...PITA.

any thoughts, anyone?
    btw, shooting on Mamiya RZ, so I'll already be at full open...
    thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: bi-head for Elinchrom

I'm not aware of a Profoto to Elinchrom adapter for use of a battery pack. Probably a custom job if it is even possible.

I have the Profoto Bi-Tube that I use with 2 Profoto D4/2400 Packs ... but not necessarily for the 4800 W/s it could deliver ... instead it allows shorter durations @ 2400 W/s total by setting 1200 W/s or less on each pack. That head has a strong modeling light and a fan if I recall correctly ... which would deplete a battery pack pretty quickly. However, I've never used it with a battery pack so I'm not sure how that would work out.

Why the lantern "thingy" modifier? I think those are designed to light a room with omnidirectional bounce light ... outdoors it seems like it would be a waste of light ... and when you roll down the reflector flaps it isn't very different from a more standard modifier, or perhaps even less efficient.

You may not need 2,200 W/s of diffused light to overpower the sun. I think using a diffused source in outdoor lighting is also wasting light. Plus, due to distance to subject, even a large lantern will be a small, more spectral source when shooting a larger group, so direct flash won't look much different, and it'll increase the light on the subject. A Magnum type reflector or a El 27" or 39" Rotalux Deep Octa with diffusion panels removed will probably deliver 1.5X to 2X light on subject than a Lantern would

Just a thought.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Marc for your thoughts.
    1. on the battery packs with a bi-tube...never even occurred to me but you're right. I was thinking of two things: having the speed to capture blood spurting out of people (squib effects) while they were also in motion. Secondly, I was thinking of one light source (at 4800ws) that'd be easier to hang over a large spread out group of people.
    I do have smaller groupings that I wanted to shoot with the lantern - both for the soft overhead light, but also cuz I might actually include it in the final composition...
    2. In the end, overhead silks on frames will probably do the job, though it wont bring the background down in a pleasing manner...
    cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=fotografz;624163]I'm not aware of a Profoto to Elinchrom adapter for use of a battery pack. Probably a custom job if it is even possible.

Hi,
    FYI - As it turns out Marc, it does exist....

Elinchrom X6000N Twin Flash Head w El Adapters for Ranger RX Quadra Packs | eBay

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good detective work Ocarlo!

- Marc