The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto B2

gazwas

I'm not sure what to make of these........?

I'm sure it will be great but it does remind me of those excellent (Godox?) cheaper Chinese battery packs now on the market. Just hope this is not the replacement to the AcuteB2.

Last edited:

kdphotography

It reminds me of using Quantum Qflashes at weddings---but with an updated approach. Nice small kit for wedding photographers, which I guess is the selling point. Personally, I'd want more power than the B1, not less----to justify opening my wallet.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need 500 watts for outdoor fill. More would be great but I can get by with 500. I like the size of these though

eekimel

Guy, how much more punch are you getting with the 500 watts (B1s I'm guessing) that you're using now vs. your old Quadra system? (The pack I bought from you is doing wonderfully by the way -- updated it with a lithium battery.)

Given the desire for subjects to be photographed at or near sunset, one doesn't need 500 watts as the sun goes down (and in afterglow, a regular flash can be too much).

Profoto is clearly going more "mainstream" with the B1 and now B2 introductions and it's an exciting time to watch what's happening with portable lighting.

Guy Mancuso

The one nice thing with more power is you can at times dial back which picks up recycling time. I actually been thinking of going back to a Quadra as the value seems better. Have to compare the pricing and features but Profoto is typically not very wallet friendly. I really only need one head for fill.

I'm also shooting Sony which is not supported yet in Profoto for TTL which would be a nice advantage over the Quadra.

iiiNelson

The one nice thing with more power is you can at times dial back which picks up recycling time. I actually been thinking of going back to a Quadra as the value seems better. Have to compare the pricing and features but Profoto is typically not very wallet friendly. I really only need one head for fill.

I'm also shooting Sony which is not supported yet in Profoto for TTL which would be a nice advantage over the Quadra.
Yeah I bought a PCB Einstein/ Cyber Commander to practice using a strobe until I settle completely on a lighting system. Whomever gets a Sony TTL compatible strobe out first with the "right" features will have an inside track to earn my business.

So far that's sort of looking like Phottix Pro. My main gripe is that they make you choose between the AC and battery version. I don't get why the AC pack isn't just included though. If Profoto made an AirTTL-S controller then I'd buy into their system today as they have the widest range of light modifiers it seems.

RVB

Yeah I bought a PCB Einstein/ Cyber Commander to practice using a strobe until I settle completely on a lighting system. Whomever gets a Sony TTL compatible strobe out first with the "right" features will have an inside track to earn my business.

So far that's sort of looking like Phottix Pro. My main gripe is that they make you choose between the AC and battery version. I don't get why the AC pack isn't just included though. If Profoto made an AirTTL-S controller then I'd buy into their system today as they have the widest range of light modifiers it seems.
"If Profoto made an AirTTL-S controller then I'd buy into their system today as they have the widest range of light modifiers it seems"

This is very important.. and Profoto have the best selection around..Although I like Bron modifiers too.

Profoto also has excellent worldwide support with rental houses and repairs.

I think the B2 is a great kit to compliment a B1 or B3/4 kit,if it was 500w it would probably cannablise B1 sales.

Waiting for a Sony controller is risky,I dont have figures but I think Sony makes up a small percentage of shooters that use strobes,Canon and Nikon dominate and even the Nikon controller took a while.

iiiNelson

Waiting for a Sony controller is risky,I dont have figures but I think Sony makes up a small percentage of shooters that use strobes,Canon and Nikon dominate and even the Nikon controller took a while.
I agree but I don't believe I should be inconvenienced or throw money into a system I can't take full advantage of. Even if the numbers don't compare there is a market for it. There are enough 3rd party TTL devices out there so I'm thinking it can't be too tough to reverse engineer a controller to work with the Multi-Interface shoe.

Guy Mancuso

Been looking at the Phottux stuff the last hour. For portable flash it looks really nice but you still need the dang old hot shoe for the transmitter part.

Like to get there portable plus there Indra .

Need a good source to figure this all out for Sony . Thought about driving to Vegas for WPPI but it's almost over . I have a shoot the next two days

RVB

I agree but I don't believe I should be inconvenienced or throw money into a system I can't take full advantage of. Even if the numbers don't compare there is a market for it. There are enough 3rd party TTL devices out there so I'm thinking it can't be too tough to reverse engineer a controller to work with the Multi-Interface shoe.
I noticed this on a profoto blog.. Profoto Blog Nikon Shooters, We Got News for You

I do think they should bring it to the market,I use a Leica and that's not covered either,but hopefully this changes.

iiiNelson

I noticed this on a profoto blog.. Profoto Blog Nikon Shooters, We Got News for You

I do think they should bring it to the market,I use a Leica and that's not covered either,but hopefully this changes.
Yes... I got essentially the same exact cryptic replay last year when I inquired about the possibility of them making a AirTTL-S. I would've bought the B1's a long time ago (well last year) if it was available to be with all the features.

One other thing that I'd like to see them do is merge the D1/B1 by making a wall plug adapter that fits in the battery slot of the B1. That would give B1 users the best of both worlds IMO. I am considering these B2 as well but it may be possible to still buy two sets of Acute B600 AirS LiFe for about the same cost as the B2 Twin kit.

iiiNelson

Been looking at the Phottux stuff the last hour. For portable flash it looks really nice but you still need the dang old hot shoe for the transmitter part.

Like to get there portable plus there Indra .

Need a good source to figure this all out for Sony . Thought about driving to Vegas for WPPI but it's almost over . I have a shoot the next two days
Yeah there's supposed to be a new version of the Odin being released in 1Q2015 that can control up to 5 groups. I assume that the update will be based on the MI shoe seeing how the Mitros+ is as well. I'd wait for that myself. Besides I don't think that the Phottix Indra's will give you all the features with the old version based on the review but I could be wrong.

Guy Mancuso

I may just start with the Mitros + as my main flash and sell my Sony flash. Than I can add the transmitter even the old one for off camera. Than I may jump all over even the Indra 360 and maybe two of them. Like to get a litlle more portable than what I have today which really is none except my Dynamite 1600 pack and three heads which I would keep.

iiiNelson

Guy they are making a 1, 2, or 3 light Indra 360 bundle as well that saves you a bit of money from buying separately. That being said if Profoto supported Sony with the TTL and HSS the only choice would be to start with one or jump head first in the water. At the time I bought my options for transmitters were really PCB Cyber Commander or Profoto for the fact that they can both transmit fast enough to sync with any camera on the market to include the compact leaf shutter cameras like the RX1 or X100T.

The Indra does look nice a capable light with features I'd want and I've been reading up on them the past week. I'm debating selling my PCB Einstein to a friend who shoots Nikon if I go the Phottix/Profoto route.

RVB

Yes... I got essentially the same exact cryptic replay last year when I inquired about the possibility of them making a AirTTL-S. I would've bought the B1's a long time ago (well last year) if it was available to be with all the features.

One other thing that I'd like to see them do is merge the D1/B1 by making a wall plug adapter that fits in the battery slot of the B1. That would give B1 users the best of both worlds IMO. I am considering these B2 as well but it may be possible to still buy two sets of Acute B600 AirS LiFe for about the same cost as the B2 Twin kit.
The wall plug adaptor is a good idea,I reckon Profoto makes a good profit on the batteries,A friend of mine uses B1's and after just 6 months the batteries are dropping charge a lot faster and new ones are $250.

iiiNelson

The wall plug adaptor is a good idea,I reckon Profoto makes a good profit on the batteries,A friend of mine uses B1's and after just 6 months the batteries are dropping charge a lot faster and new ones are $250.
Yeah I know and I don't think there's a B1 owner that would not buy that accessory for everyone light they own. Batteries are not a cheap expense when you want to practice or the most convenient for indoor portraiture.

iiiNelson

I may just start with the Mitros + as my main flash and sell my Sony flash. Than I can add the transmitter even the old one for off camera. Than I may jump all over even the Indra 360 and maybe two of them. Like to get a litlle more portable than what I have today which really is none except my Dynamite 1600 pack and three heads which I would keep.
Yeah I've been looking at adding the Mitros+ if I go with Phottix but for now I'm happy with my Nissin i40 for a compact flash for travel or portraits.