The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor Move 1200 L Issue

dennishuang

Hello,

I would like to know if other Broncolor Move 1200 L users have the same issue that I have with my unit.

When I use my Broncolor Move 1200 L with a MobiLED plugged in when plugged into the charger and plugged into the wall outlet when power time-out occurs it will lock up the unit. I am not able to turn it on by pushing the power on button. I have to remove the battery and put it back in before I can turn it on.

Broncolor told my dealer that they were able to reproduce this but that it affects all units and that there is no fix other than not letting it go into power time-out while plugged into the charger and plugged into the wall outlet.

I’d appreciate hearing from other Broncolor Move 1200 L owners to see if my experiences are isolated or not.

Thanks!

Last edited:

aztwang

Cant say I have had that problem. Do you leave the charger plugged in all the time? I ask because it's not good for the battery. I will try to your set up and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Don

gazwas

Hi Dennis, as I said in my PM, no issue with my pack locking up after auto shut down while charging with either a 50% battery charge or 100% battery charge. My packs are running software version 48.05, are yours the same?

Gareth

dennishuang

Cant say I have had that problem. Do you leave the charger plugged in all the time? I ask because it's not good for the battery. I will try to your set up and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for checking your unit. It doesn't always lock up after powering down, so if you could try it more than once I'd appreciate it. It does occur frequently enough for me that I can reproduce the problem.

I have it plugged in when I'm doing a photo shoot since I do long shoots. If I recall correctly from the manual, I am supposed to be able to use it when it is plugged into the charger into the wall outlet (charging).

Thanks!

Dennis

dennishuang

Hi Dennis, as I said in my PM, no issue with my pack locking up after auto shut down while charging with either a 50% battery charge or 100% battery charge. My packs are running software version 48.05, are yours the same?

Gareth
Hi Gareth,

I'm using prog.version 48.05.

The problem doesn't occur after every power down but happens enough that I am able to reproduce the problem. If you would keep checking I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Dennis

gazwas

Did you have a MobiLED plugged in when testing? I forgot to mention that before.
Hi Dennis, yes a single MobiLED head plugged into the pack while charging set to lowest power (if that makes any difference).

Not heard of this before but does sound very strange especially considering your dealer said Bron's response was they knew of the problem and it effected all packs...... apart from mine and Don's?

Good luck

dennishuang

Hi Dennis, yes a single MobiLED head plugged into the pack while charging set to lowest power (if that makes any difference).

Not heard of this before but does sound very strange especially considering your dealer said Bron's response was they knew of the problem and it effected all packs...... apart from mine and Don's?

Good luck
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for letting me know. My dealer was not aware of the issue until I let them know. The dealer spoke with Broncolor. Broncolor informed my dealer that the issue affects all Moves. Broncolor was unwilling to replace my Move. Hopefully your and Don's testing will help me when I speak with my dealer and Broncolor.

Thanks!

Dennis

dennishuang

My dealer (Capture Integration) informed me that they are able to replicate my locking issue with the Move that they have on hand and that they will contact Hasselblad Bron Incorporated (HBI) again. When I had inquired about this issue in the past, Capture Integration had said that HBI reported that the Move is not designed to be used while charging and then go to sleep. That sounds like a rationalization to me.

Before I had purchased the Move, I had researched the product. I've attached a portion of the Move manual about operating the unit while charging.

Broncolor Move 1200 L Operation While Charging.jpg

aztwang

I tested both my packs today for Steve over at CI and they do not lock up. I had MobiLed plugged in and had Modeling lamp on for 15-20 minutes and popped a few test flashes before I let it go idle on the charger. One suggestion I had was you may possibly have an older battery/older firmware as I remember when I had one of my packs upgraded to RFS 2.1 I had to send the battery in also as Bron had to change firmware in the battery as well. I'm not sure how to tell firmware edition, may have Steve ask Solomon over at Hass/Bron service.

Don

gazwas

Hi Dennis,

Just an update, I have three Move packs and have now tested them all and can confirm one is effected like yours. The other two were purchased together at a later date and I cannot after multiple ettempts get it to happen on these packs so as Don suggests they must have done something to the packs or battery.

I'm going to put the older battery in the newer packs and test again and vise versa with the older battery. My original pack is probably two is years old so similar to yours.

Thanks, Gareth

dennishuang

I tested both my packs today for Steve over at CI and they do not lock up. I had MobiLed plugged in and had Modeling lamp on for 15-20 minutes and popped a few test flashes before I let it go idle on the charger. One suggestion I had was you may possibly have an older battery/older firmware as I remember when I had one of my packs upgraded to RFS 2.1 I had to send the battery in also as Bron had to change firmware in the battery as well. I'm not sure how to tell firmware edition, may have Steve ask Solomon over at Hass/Bron service.

Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for the update! I appreciate the testing.

The pack firmware shows prog.version 48.05. I don't know if there is a way for me to see the firmware version of the battery.

I'll check with Capture Integration again.

Dennis

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dennis,

Just an update, I have three Move packs and have now tested them all and can confirm one is effected like yours. The other two were purchased together at a later date and I cannot after multiple ettempts get it to happen on these packs so as Don suggests they must have done something to the packs or battery.

I'm going to put the older battery in the newer packs and test again and vise versa with the older battery. My original pack is probably two is years old so similar to yours.

Thanks, Gareth
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the testing!

That would be great if you could check the packs with the different batteries!

I'll check with Capture Integration again.

Dennis

rodal126

After seeing this post I was curious if my Move pack and MobiLED was affected as well.

I tested it 4 times and it locked up once. The time it did lock up I waited approximately 5 minutes before powering it back on. Possibly waiting that 5 minutes caused the battery to go into deep sleep mode or something.

Jay Emm

Same issues. Happened again last night - nasty failure as it added a thermal error to the mix and stood down for 20 minutes. I'm over the Move. Hired studio, model good to go, and my lights have failed. WTF? Avoided embarrassment because I didn't trust these things and had alternate lights in my car outside. Seriously not good enough for pro lights. For any lights actually, but at this price point it's deeply frustrating.

dennishuang

Same issues. Happened again last night - nasty failure as it added a thermal error to the mix and stood down for 20 minutes. I'm over the Move. Hired studio, model good to go, and my lights have failed. WTF? Avoided embarrassment because I didn't trust these things and had alternate lights in my car outside. Seriously not good enough for pro lights. For any lights actually, but at this price point it's deeply frustrating.
I am sorry to hear about your problems with the Broncolor Move. I had sent it to Hasselblad Broncolor Inc but they couldn't fix it. I ended up having to buy a new one for a different reason. I haven't done extensive testing of the new one but I haven't run into the issues with the new one that I had on my previous Move.