The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Collapsible beauty dishes.

gazwas

I'm intrigued but the new collapsible beauty dishes recently coming in the market like the new Broncolor beauty box below.

Broncolor Beautybox 65

Anyone have any experience of these as they look really portable and nifty. I like the ability to change the colour temperature with gold reflector or add a front diffuser turning it into a small octo.

Too good to be true?

kdphotography

I have been asked to test and review two new "SpeedBoxes" for a manufacturer/Distributor, 36" and 44" boxes, and so far I really like it. Novel design in terms of how the ribs snap quickly into place. Dodecagon shape (round), removeable inner baffle and outer diffusion panels, attachable grid, Bowens and Profoto mount. I'm not sure about other mounts---I'm testing with Profoto. I work very quickly when on location, often without an assistant, and these show a lot of promise. More information to follow....

Ken

180q

For me, the option to add a grid is essential. Is that an available option for these "off brands"?

JMaher

Not sure I ever seen a grid on a beauty dish.

Lots of choices from many brands of octa's, etc with grids.

fotografz

Not sure I ever seen a grid on a beauty dish.

Lots of choices from many brands of octa's, etc with grids.
Grids are widely available for rigid beauty dishes. Most makers offer beauty dishes ... and Mola makes a wide range of sizes from their 22" Demi, to the giant 43.5" Mantti ... all of which can be used on most any light with the proper mount.

Of interest may be Honey Grids, a company that makes rigid, snap-in grids for almost any make of beauty dish ... or even make a custom one if you wish:

http://www.honeycombgrids.com/

The advantage of rigid grids like Honeygrids makes is that they can be had from a narrow light spread control of 10º to a wider 45º, and ordered in either the typical black or more flattering white.

The objective of a beauty dish is precise control of the light with less spill onto surroundings, and perfectly round catch lights.

These soft beauty dishes seem to be gaining popularity, especially for mobile applications. I have not used one yet, and would love to hear about user's experiences. I currently use the Elinchrom Rotalux 27" Deep Octa with a Profoto mount for my lights. The Rotalux's modifiers are very mobile because they set up and break down super easy and fold-up like an umbrella for transport. They can be fitted with a silver, white or gold bounce deflector inside like a beauty dish, and come with those as part of the set. So, it'd be interesting to hear how these soft beauty dishes differ.

- Marc

eekimel

I'm a big fan of the Chimera 24-inch collapsible dish (it's possible to get a Lighttools grid for that). I also have the 30-inch dish (haven't bought a grid for that yet). That being said, I also own a 33-inch Cheetah folding dish with a silver interior (similar to the Phottix) that has a little more punch, and a 40-inch Interfit version of the same style dish which had a nice, soft even light. Neither of those can be gridded. I have noticed on eBay that there's a 27-inch version of the same dish that does have an optional grid.

TEAM KEN

Opinions on Westcott Apollo...Orb?...50'' ??
Just curious.
Thinking about ordering to go with my Nissin flashes, and my new 360 bare bulb flashes
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,
Ken