The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, enough with the equipment, lets see some lighting!

fotografz

Apologies for hi-jacking this "Picture" thread with gear questions ... many thanks to Bob and David for their assistance! :)

Bob, I also have Hensel gear, and I think I'll go with the self-contained Hensel Starspot head for the Porty 1200L, the round plug will also work with my Hensel 1200 Pro-Mini AC pack albeit a weaker modeling light, (which I may be able to swap out for AC studio use).

This provides the most versatility for my small operation, and an interesting option for outdoor applications with less wind issues like with umbrellas and soft-boxes. If and when I need more, I'll rent it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled parade of lighting examples :thumbs: (although Bob and Irakly are tough acts to follow :ROTFL:)

-Marc

irakly

Another memory from Siberia :)

Two Profoto monolights (3x5' softbox and a conical snoot), one wall, one floor and a looking-glass-woman

neelin

Leica M8 CV75/2.5 ISO160 1/125 f/8
Ancient hot lighting:
300w halogen video light left of camera
2-300w tungsten each in 12" Smith/Victor parabolics right of camera
1-CF PAR on backdrop

Canon F1n FD135/3.5 Agfa Scopix (ortho-xray) EI25 1/30 f5.6 Phenidone/Carbonate/Sulfite developer
Lighting as above, except 2-300w's are shot thru semi-silver umbrella.
Slight dodge around eyes/nose.

All lighting extremely close, just outside camera field of view.

Robert

jusu

From last summer.

2x elinchrom ranger rx with three flash heads.

2x elinchrom ranger rx with two flash heads.

jusu

Two ranger rx with three flash heads. Two octas, one with 130 and one with 100 deep. One bare behind.

fotografz

D700 with a Vivitar 285 in small softbox. Works ok if used fairly close to subject.

Hope you enjoy.

Hey Emma. I like the dramatic feel of this. Beautiful model and fun dress.

In your shot, how did you have the speed-light set into the softbox? I ask because of the hot spot on her camera right arm. Speed-lights can do this sometimes especially if close to the subject, because the light is so concentrated when it hits the soft-box diffuser.

I also think I may have tried to use something to fill the shadows around her camera right hand ... which have "subjectively" created a sort of webbed finger effect.

-Marc

fotografz

Another memory from Siberia :)

Two Profoto monolights (3x5' softbox and a conical snoot), one wall, one floor and a looking-glass-woman
Cool as usual! Tricky lighting with the mirrored statue.

Are those paintings by Androv Worholsky ... :)

-Marc

emmawest72

Hey Emma. I like the dramatic feel of this. Beautiful model and fun dress.

In your shot, how did you have the speed-light set into the softbox? I ask because of the hot spot on her camera right arm. Speed-lights can do this sometimes especially if close to the subject, because the light is so concentrated when it hits the soft-box diffuser.

I also think I may have tried to use something to fill the shadows around her camera right hand ... which have "subjectively" created a sort of webbed finger effect.

-Marc
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments. The Vivatar is attached fairly close to the opening of the small softbox which is also quite close to the model. As I wanted the light focused on her upper body without too much spill I moved it in close which has probably given this hot spot.

I have since also bought a reflector which will help to fill in some areas. I'm still learning a lot on using strobes and all the possible modifiers. It's very exciting!!

Will very likely soon invest in a real "studio" strobe and some additional light modifiers ( beauty dish and a bigger softbox).

To clear some confusion, I made a mistake when subscribing to this site and used emmawest when my name is William:)

Cheers
Wil

fotografz

Hi William!

Yeah, working with lighting can be pretty addictive. You are to be lauded for giving it a go. A lot of folks are either intimidated by it, or are put off by bad examples, think ill of it, and never explore.

What many do not realize is that an incredibly vast majority of imagery seen in the movies, on TV, in publications, posters, billboards and so on ... are artificially lit.

All the best on your venture into new areas William :thumbs:

-Marc

emmawest72

Thanks Marc.

I have been using natural light ( or sometimes continuos light from various lamps around the house)for the past 15 years but now feel really motivated to move on to strobed light and all its possibilities.

The only "problem" is the vast amount of choice in equipment ( and price....). I will start with one head and a few modifiers not too confuse myself too much:)

take care
Wil

fotografz

Wil, IMO, you can't go wrong with Paul C. Buff lighting gear for average applications where you aren't pounding out shot-after-shot. Lots of choice, but not so intimidating that you can't get to an answer for what you want to accomplish.

I'd bet they are the biggest seller for folks like you for portraits and such, and many wedding shooters also use their strobes. Good product, USA based so you can get answers when you need them, and lots of relatively inexpensive modifiers to play with.

Google them and take a look when you are ready.

-Marc

emmawest72

Hey

Funny you mention Paul Buff. In fact, I was looking at getting the Einstein 640 with a vagabond mini so I can use it outside as well. Iim also quite tempted by one of the PLM modifiers as well.

I don't live in the USA unfortunately but I have a friend who will do the shopping for me. Their UK store is close but I will pay double the price...

As you seem to know quite a lot of lightning, could you recommend a good light stand/ boom arm ? There are quite a lot of different models/prices and I would like to get something fairly sturdy. Don't mind paying a bit more.

Thanks
Wil

fotografz

Any of the Matthews or Manfrotto Avenger stands and boom arms would be good choices. Don't know the availability of those brands where you are.

How heavy duty depends on a couple of things:

1) How portable you might want it. In my studio I use mostly Matthews or Avenger Century stands (C Stands) because they can be set right next to one another, where the conventional ones cannot ... but while they fold, they are not as compact as regular ones that fold down and fit in a carrying bag.

2) How much weight will you have out at the end, and how far of an extension you think you'll need. Mono heads like the 640 weigh more than a pack head, because everything is self-contained ... in this case almost 5lbs ... add a light modifier and it's 7 to 10 lbs ... extend a boom out over someone's head and that starts getting to be enough weight to bow a wimpy boom arm.

Hope you don't have to pay $1,000 for an Einstein + $ for the radio, reflector and some case. For $1,700. you can get a complete 1000 w/s Hensel studio in a rolling case ... which MAY be less where you live since Hensel is a German product.

Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 Two Monolight Kit 7048815SW B&H

Best of luck,

Marc

L

Landshark

I thought I would be back here sooner, but work got in the way
Here are two from a shoot last year in Miami,
first one is just a Profoto ring light, sun and some foam core

this one is a mix of available, a very small box for fill and a straight reflector head as the main going through the window from the balcony

L

Landshark

one more, again with the Profoto ringlight along with side lighting

downstairs

4x5 Ektachrome with a shortish lens. One brolly for background, one brolly for keylight just to left of camera, one tiny strobe on camera for fill (3 stops under).

Last edited: