The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, enough with the equipment, lets see some lighting!

downstairs

Marc, thanks. Same setup; Key brolly a bit further off and she's pointing her nose into it. Basic principle: One source only and if you really have to fill, keep it 3 0r 4 stops under.

Last edited:

downstairs

More, If the lighting is any good you can't see it.
Here's a studio shot and a location shot where the lighting is visible
First, with movie fresnels for a 1960's corny look.
Second, with two umbrellas and some smoke.

Here, I hope it is invisible.

The principle is: One source only, ever. Detach the edges of stuff by shifting it around. That the real job.

fotografz

Nice work!

Yep, make it as invisible as possible is usually, but not always the goal.

I've posted these in the Leica S2 section, but they are more appropriate here.

Bridal shots on stairs: the ambient was very uneven lighting ... the background washed out with strongly dappled hot spots ... stairs/subject in shadow ... underexposed ambient and used a 600B @ 320w/s with a gold-toned Profoto Octa positioned camera left to light subject, and added on-camera TTL speed-light fill with a Craslon Prodigy diffuser oriented camera right.

The Calder sculpture shot was very low light, camera on mono-pod, dragged the shutter to pick-up the background ambient and added 600w/s oriented camera right... added TTL speed-light fill oriented camera left @ +2 comp.

One mobile strobe and TTL speed-light is all I can usually manage at a hectic wedding.

Marc

Zerimar

Here are some from me, all the lighting details can be found on flickr.

A majority of these are Profoto, with some Dynalite mixed in as well.

I believe pretty much all of these involve either my mola Setti or Demi beauty dish as well.

LeeAnna Vamp by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Lauren Calaway - The Orange Dress by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Haley Tipton - Gladlash by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Lauren Calaway by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Nancy Beverly by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Tom Ford #2 by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Minerva Mendez by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

LeeAnna Vamp + Minerva Mendez by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Kira Dihktyar by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Kira Dikhtyar Rooftop by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Haley Nicole Tipton by RickrPhoto, on Flickr

Hope that wasn't too many :x

downstairs

Home-made halogen window light in use. Test shot with a Leica M8.

Same subject, new background set up for definitive shot on 4x5.

Final.

Oamkumar

One fron my side..

One soft box from side and reflector, another softbox from back. And one light for the background.

Bildifokus

It's not always a glamourous job in the studio. :)

This set up works fine for bigger objects, even if the have a glossy surface. Just watch out for reflection.

gazwas

Something a bit different to all those beautiful girls....... beautifully machined chunks of metal. :p

Couple of Profoto AcuteB2 600 Air's (that I'm in Love with :eek:) and a Vivitar 285.

Ben Rubinstein

Not incredibly sophisticated but a lesson to the class I teach about how you can manipulate light outside of a studio and with basic equipment. Bit of black cloth. Bare strobe camera right behind the subject using a blue plastic paper holder as gel. A small umbrella box camera left and low for fill on the face. Oh and half a bucket of cold water! The student in the image was a hero in my book for volunteering in the first place but also for that ice cool expression even as the water hit her!

and a self portrait to finish, two softboxes on white sheet:

malmac

Not incredibly sophisticated but a lesson to the class I teach about how you can manipulate light outside of a studio and with basic equipment. Bit of black cloth. Bare strobe camera right behind the subject using a blue plastic paper holder as gel. A small umbrella box camera left and low for fill on the face. Oh and half a bucket of cold water! The student in the image was a hero in my book for volunteering in the first place but also for that ice cool expression even as the water hit her!

Ben

Very well done from where I stand - you are right it looks like trick photography she is so passive.

All I need now is a willing model.

Mal