The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, enough with the equipment, lets see some lighting!

Ben Rubinstein

Have to admit I'm getting fed up of people claiming I've photoshopped it. It's not even complicated lighting. Digital has a lot to answer for and laziness to learn what is possible without photoshop is one of them.

Ben Rubinstein

Elinchrom RX300/ beauty dish
Elinchrom dlite for background.

and a nice big white backdrop:)

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/westerw/6924018029/][/URL]
I'm a big fan of lots of negative space. Did this shoot for a client who saw my self portrait above and wanted a similar concept for her new album cover. I decided that rather than doing just a self portrait I would try and outline her in the shape of an instrument alongside the instruments she actually uses in the album.

Ben Rubinstein

First night of Chanukah, had 3 of my students over for the candle lighting. Decided to give an impromptu demonstration of how easy it was to control light and shadow to create an image. Sheet of A4 paper, flashlight, blue gel and a 1 second exposure to give this image of a spinning Dreidel. Their end of semester show has the theme 'light and dark' and they are panicking a bit. Not sure why, for photography the theme couldn't have been easier!

etrigan63

OK, I'll play.

This is my Mad Science portrait (some of you will have seen this already).

Mad Science by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

This was shot entirely with one light. Multiple photos, but one light overhead.

This shot of my daughter was done with a Metz 58 AF-1 with a 24" softbox in TTL mode. The sofbox was just off camera left.

Mel by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

fotografz

Those are very well done Gareth. I've done a fair amount of industrial photography in past, and can appreciate what it takes to pull off location shots like yours. :thumbs:

-Marc

gazwas

Thanks for the kind comments Marc.

Yes, industrial photography can be quite challenging with often very dangerous, dirty and cramped conditions. With so much manufacturing going to China/India etc its and area of photography that is not what it used to be, however a subject matter I enjoy photographing very much.

A couple more shots from a shoot just before Christmas.

emmawest72

D700/ 85mm
Profoto D1 500 air / RFI 2x3 softbox as you can see :)
Portrait of me by one of my sons.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/westerw/8581916999/]
-W- by WesterW, on Flickr[/URL]

etrigan63

Just got an adapter cable to connect my Sony HVL-F60M to a PocketWizard III. The cable has the Minolta style hotshoe and I mounted the speedlight with shoe adapter that came with it. Sounds like a kludge but it works well. Mind you this is manual flash only. Here is a shot of the rig:

The Rig by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

and here are some samples shot with it:

Mel by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Carlos by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

It took Carlos 7 tries to keep a straight face/not mug the camera. Mel got it in one try.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Gridded beauty dish, a 1/4 stop silk, a gridded reflector for the hair light, and a gobo projector.

-bob

Ben Rubinstein

So I finally started a new project that I've had in mind for a long while. Called 'Who am I', the project is a response to the past decade of wedding photography where I told people to look in a specific direction, or at each other or at the camera, it was always posed, even the PJ stuff was about as 'real' as a politicians smile and handshake, just never going to be as relaxed as if it wasn't a big occasion. I wanted to do something different, I wanted to capture real thought so I came up with the 'Who am I' project. Sitting a subject down I tell them to look anywhere but me and think. Who are you. Really. The answer has to be a single word. Sum up your personality and being in a single word. It's difficult. Purposely so. I want them to forget me, forget the world, to really get lost in thought and to allow me to capture the real thoughts as they happen.

Lighting is the modelling light of a strobe into a 45" umbrella box camera left and not too high. White background. Canon 50L shot wide open for the vignetting and specific smooth look. I'm using modelling light cause it's far less distracting than flash popping while you think and also I find the light has a very different feel to it, far less 'clean'.

These were two of my students. I want to spread this project out over a wide age range, I think the contrast in captured thought will be fascinating. I also think that starting with 18 year olds will have been eye opening. I have a feeling that everything else will be a disappointment as I shoot varying levels of self delusion and shields built up over many years. These kids will be my purest subjects methinks.

Shira - Emotional

Talia - Messy

New guy here and thought I'd jump in to the lighting section partly as a way to introduce myself. I'm a commercial food photographer and here's an example of a recent project that required shooting a large variety of drinks in an equally large variety of glass shapes for a national restaurant chain's drink menu. The set was conceived to be somewhat flexible in nature so as to be able to keep a 'production line' type of workflow, tweaking as needed along the way. We averaged 10-12 drinks in a day. Valeo 22 on a Cambo 23 Ultima.

EricWijoyo

Finally I'm on semester break and that means I can work more on my personal stuff. This shoot I did couple of weeks ago. Using 4 lights, 2 broncolor litos with para88 as the main light and beauty dish with cap as the fill in and 2 litos head at the back with P70 reflector gridded as the kickers.

MCTuomey

I'm completely humbled by the samples posted here. Being an abject newb to lighting, and having just bought a single CheetahLight CL-180, here's one of my first attempts, single light:

20130615-041-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Criticisms are very welcome. Thanks for looking.