The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, enough with the equipment, lets see some lighting!

Giorgio

The final shot of the day, overcast and about to rain. Actually it did rain after about 12 frames and the umbrellas were deployed and I didn't get any more frames.

Main light was an Elinchrom spot lite S35 set to about 30 degrees at about 6 ft elevation and 9 ft from the subject. Powered by Profoto.

Great team, I had a blast.

Ben Rubinstein

This for me was a very complex shoot. I'm an (ex) wedding photographer and a studio shoot using 6 lights was really pushing my envelope.

OK here goes. Two separator lights at the back gelled blue, you can see the mist from the fog machine catching them at the edges. The girls at the back were lit by two narrow but non gridded strip boxes, one on either side. Above them was an Lastolite Umbrella Box on low power for fill. The girl in front is still dark at this point apart from her outline provided by the separator lights and a little spill from the umbrella box on the left shoulder. She was lit up by two speedlites, both gelled red. The first is next to the camera low and zoomed in on her via the balloon though it's given red eyes to the other girls as well which was a nice touch. The other with a lightsphere attached (first time it's ever been used!) is actually held in her hand behind the water balloon pointed up at her face on very low power to give the red spread of light up to her face. Can't quite work out the yellow highlight edges, probably the gel didn't cover the entire flash she was holding or something to do with the lightsphere.

4 Speedlites, An Alien Bee B800 and two Bowens 500's. Had to be very careful with light placement as I was using a 50+ year old single coated lens.

Remarkably little PP actually. Some dodging and burning but the contrast, colour and exposure were all pretty much perfect out of camera. Did desaturate the reds somewhat, two red gelled flashes was a lot. :) Used C1 rather than my usual ACR, it's a lot better at these kinds of colours. Oh and the shadow detail from the A7r was beyond compare.