The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?

haring

I have a Flashpoint Rovelight 600 monolight. I would like to take it to the beach for engagement photos and wedding photos.
The only problem is that it is a little bit top heavy. The battery is in the head unit itself.
I would like to use the light on a manfrotto light stand and a medium size softbox.

I am just wondering what size of sandbag do I need? What is your recommendation? We often shoot engagement sessions ans wedding portrait sessions on the beach. Wind is an issue.

seres

I use lead shot in my sandbags, each one about 10kg. That makes a small sandbag into a heavy sandbag.

But if I was placing a medium moonlight, with battery, in a medium softbox, on a beach (windy), I would have an assistant holding that lightstand at all times. Even with multiple sandbags.

haring

I use lead shot in my sandbags, each one about 10kg. That makes a small sandbag into a heavy sandbag.

But if I was placing a medium moonlight, with battery, in a medium softbox, on a beach (windy), I would have an assistant holding that lightstand at all times. Even with multiple sandbags.
Thanks so much! Assistant is the best solution, I guess.

robmac

We typically use old rubber dry bags, or any old HD bag we or find and fill them with gravel (easier clean up if leaks). Long tube-like bags are nice as you can create a void in middle to allow it to be draped around base of a stand. A Superclamp with a J hook or a Matthellini clamp make great hangers for packs or bags when placed low on the centre column (assuming not C-stand).

The minimum weight needed is hard to tell - depends on the stand weight, modifier, light weight, angle, wind, etc. An assistant is still the best (plus a bag as they'll have to let go sometime). A beach test session with an empty bag(s), your usual mod(s) and a small kids shovel for some trial & error might be an idea.

We use Profoto, including the B1 (akin to the Rove) and one very distinct 'plus' of an alternative pack & head system is the pack can be used as weight often - but we don't shoot weddings where shoot & scoot mandates minimal gear.

We LOVE our B1s, but every video I see where someone is using one (often on an extension arm) with no counterweight while touting how portable the kit is makes me cringe.