The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LED-How to tell the real ligthing output of led lights?How to compare lighting power?

haring

I am looking at several led light options. Obviously, one of the considerations is how much light the led panel emits.
Some companies list their products specifying out put via "lux"
Flashpoint 500C LED Light - Works on AC or V Mount Battery - Bi-Color 500LEDBBB
Others list Watt, W.
ID508-v2: ID508-v2 LED Studio Light w/Light Stand Mount
Others use lumens...

My questions: How to measure/compare the lighting output of led lights? Is there a way to convert these numbers? All I want to know how much light these lights output so I can compare them.

geotrupes

not that simple.

lux will tell you how much light you get at a distance, usually along the centre axis of the beam.
this means that if you have a spot light or if you have a wide beam the value will be the same despite the coverage being different.

lumens will tell the amount of light coming out of the fixture. But lumen alone will not tell you the distribution, so you will not be able to guess the lux level at a distance unless....

you have the intensity curve. The intensity curve is the only way that you have to determine the light distribution. often this is scaled by a 1000lm factor

unfortunately this data is not available for most of consumer (and even pro) products.

and even more depressingly the colour quality of the light are often unknown. if you have a colour rendering of 90, you may be quite disappointed by the rendition of the reds. A full set of colour rendition for each R sample should be considered...
etc.

g.

fotohouse

not that simple.

lux will tell you how much light you get at a distance, usually along the centre axis of the beam.
this means that if you have a spot light or if you have a wide beam the value will be the same despite the coverage being different.

lumens will tell the amount of light coming out of the fixture. But lumen alone will not tell you the distribution, so you will not be able to guess the lux level at a distance unless....

you have the intensity curve. The intensity curve is the only way that you have to determine the light distribution. often this is scaled by a 1000lm factor

unfortunately this data is not available for most of consumer (and even pro) products.

and even more depressingly the colour quality of the light are often unknown. if you have a colour rendering of 90, you may be quite disappointed by the rendition of the reds. A full set of colour rendition for each R sample should be considered...
etc.

g.
I was going to drop a similar post--really isn't as simple as that.