Site Sponsors

Thread: using (leaf shutter)high shutter speed with studio flashlighting

Post Thanks / Like

using (leaf shutter)high shutter speed with studio flashlighting

Hoping experts here can help me .

I just switching to using studio lighting for my hobby reason, I have tried profoto(not mine) , broncolor(not mine) & some cheaper studio lighting, I just use cheap in price remote triggers , I found that If I use shutter speed higher than 1/125 s , the resulting image because darker than I expected. It seems not enough light reaching the sensors. The more serious the higher shutter speed(1/250, 1/500 & 1/1000) . My camera is Hy6.

Is it related to the trigger or maybe any other technical secret ? For my understanding, leaf shutter speed not affecting the flashlight exposure since the flashlight is much faster than the shutter .
    Last edited by Rollei6008i; 21st January 2016 at 17:47. Reason: update title

Post Thanks / Like

Re: using (leaf shutter)high shutter speed with studio flashlighting

Studio strobes are not necessarily faster than your shutter speed so you might "cut into" the flash and experience less light than expected. In your case itīs probably the remote trigger that is causing the light loss, because it is not transmitting the trigger pulse fast enough so the strobe is firing with a short delay and is not in sync with your shutter. You might try a hardwired sync cord to verify. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: using (leaf shutter)high shutter speed with studio flashlighting

Quote Originally Posted by UlfKrentz View Post
    Studio strobes are not necessarily faster than your shutter speed so you might "cut into" the flash and experience less light than expected. In your case itīs probably the remote trigger that is causing the light loss, because it is not transmitting the trigger pulse fast enough so the strobe is firing with a short delay and is not in sync with your shutter. You might try a hardwired sync cord to verify. Hope this helps. Cheers!
    Understood , thanks a lot.