Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Profoto Monolights released

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Profoto Monolights released

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Like Marc, I am also hesitating just a bit on the D1 Air monos. I think they are a very attractive solution, but will deliver, as all Profotos have.

If the D1 Airs hit the marks they are advertising, I do think them to become excellent solution options for lighting.

The debate will rage on about whether you are getting what you pay for, especially at the higher initial costs of some of these. That is a personal decision each shooter must make. If you shoot a lot with lights, getting better ones will be in your interest, versus buying cheaper ones several times to keep up. Just a thought.

LJ
    After following the threads on lighting here for some time and missing yet another of Marcs for sale items ( I would never make a good rugby player ), I started looking at Profoto lights. Disclaimer - I am not a pro and mainly focus on objects distant and fairly slow moving like trees hills railroad trestles and the occasional herd of cattle. Portraits and interior architecture does play into my decision and after loading the recent 800 ISO FW upgrade from Hasselblad I realized that light really does matter and should be important ... especially in view of the poor high iso function of all CCDs in MFBs at the present time.

Initially thought I would buy a AcuteB 600R but was dissuaded by counsel that one 600 would not be adequate. As it has been some 15 years since I had any mono lights and I am not burdened by having a system that might be incompatible with regards to accessories the D1 system sounded ideal. I would have to add on PW function to their other mono ComPact R system which diminished the cost differential a little.

It is obvious that the Profoto marketing department is gearing this towards the portrait market...they have bundled the lights in a couple of systems with umbrellas and offer three LST kits that appear to be after the same core group of users...small light box, beauty dish zoom reflector and gridkit. There is little written material available on the system at the present time...a couple of PDFs and a series of youtube videos demo'ed by Tony Corbell. My dealer had one 500 D1 Air kit and had not opened nor seen any of the information that I had found on the Profoto-USA site and on this thread. I have seen little advertising for the LST accessories for the D1 and no ads for the D1 Air remotes as separate items as yet.

After driving to the dealer on three different days I brought the kit home. I had forgotten how good, good light can be. The kit is of higher quality than my first broncolor light system some 15 years ago....stands are light air cushioned type, great small umbrellas - reflective black over white, unbelievable AC mains cords. The D1 air remote is fast small and syncs instantly....I did not go into the back yard or down the street to test distance...yet. There is a small instruction on the remote and none for the lights.

I had only 20 minutes or so the other night to fire them up and have a lot of reading to accomplish with regards to ratios, distances and the like but I am very pleased with them. Control from the remote is a great addition...light on off model light on off individual light power setting or combined power for groups. The D1s can be IR Air remote or cable synced.

I have added a couple of very rough JPGs that follow ... comment and advice welcomed...please.
    Last edited by docmoore; 20th March 2009 at 11:44.

Post Thanks / Like

D1 Air Nikon D3 capture sharpened little else...two umbrellas.
    Last edited by docmoore; 5th June 2009 at 19:20.

Post Thanks / Like

D1 Air as above

Post Thanks / Like

D1 Air Canon G10 Two umbrellas...

Post Thanks / Like

Again, it has been a long time since I have used studio lights and as you can tell I need some instruction and practice. However, I was captivated by how consistent the light output and quality was...very little post capture needed. I know this is the hallmark of any good studio light system but personally regret my delay in adding it to my system(s).

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

These look like they are working nicely. Thanks for sharing your foray down this path. Making me think harder and harder on these.

The light is both soft and hard edged at the same time, which I find interesting. By that I mean that the wooden goose shot shows the nice wrap of light, even from what I suspect is a silver umbrella that would normally be more specular and contrasty. The glasses of milk show the same sort of thing....sharper distant shadows, as expected, but softer wrap on the main subject for very even lighting.

Not wanting to get into color balance and stuff, but the images have a bit "cooler" look to them, and that may be the Nikon rendering, as tends to be seen in other shots. The exposure is preserving the surface details, as can be seen in the wall texture on the sled shot, yet the shadows have a nice softened edge to them.

Do you have any feel for the beam angle spread? It obviously works nicely with the smaller umbrellas, but how do you think it will work in say a softbox or some shallow light shaping tool? (The shop I have been to had a set, sold them, but have not restocked yet, so I have no way of checking things out myself.) What about the case build? I know it is plastic, compared to the spun aluminum of the other ComPacts, but it looks fairly sturdy. The one area of interest is the handle itself. The Elinchroms had a handle on top that had a weak point in how it attached, versus this molded lower-side handle on the D1s.

Sorry to pepper with so many questions, but it is great to see somebody here using them in the wild as it were. (I was sure Marc was going to be the first to spring for them ;-) )

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

LJ,

Sorry for the delayed response...been on dandelion patrol in the back. This has been a beast of a spring for weeds. Nothing like a couple of hours pulling weeds to clear one's mind.

These shots were not color balanced ... I noticed that the Nikon placed them at 4550 K in CS4 so it really could be a bit warmer. I have not had much time to play with the capatures. Light spread seems as advertised without modifier as not a real central hot spot when I look at the umbrella reflection in a couple of shots. I was six feet from the table, maybe 12 to 15 from the cradle and 8 to 10 from the decoy with the key light. I imagine that the upcoming glass cover may add some spread ... I hope to add an octa and a medium soft box and magnum reflectors at some point. I would think that Profoto spent a lot of time looking at the issue of softbox octa dish accessories and the PDF shows them bundling these in three kits.

Case build is extremely sturdy...handle seems very strong like they added a 50% margin for safety. As in the pics on the PDF it is two piece but very rigid and thicker than I had imagined when I first looked at the PDF. I don't know how it will fare over a long rental product cycle but know I would have to work to mess it up. My overall impression was ComPacts remind me of the 50 - 60's, engineered to drop from the third floor to keep from having to carry them down plug in and use them while the D1s are more modern but maintain that overbuilt ethic: Volvo 240 vs C70. I looked at Elinchrom 400 BX and 600 RX lights and these appear much more stout than the those.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,
    The WB explains it for me. Take it up to daylight or even flash at 5500K or so and things should jump into place nicely.

You are correct, not much LST info on the D1s, but then they are built to take all or almost all of the other Profoto tools. There is a "glass dome" that I have not seen, and nobody else has either (Profoto part# 101561, I believe) that both Calumet and B&H have listed on their books at $155, but no other info, and nothing on the Profoto site. I have been sending emails to Profoto (through the MAC Group here in the states) to get info beyond what is posted. Has been of some help, but for a major product like this, they sure seem to be a bit unprepared to handle the questions and stuff. I think the formal roll-out is in a week or so, but places have them and are selling them, so not sure things are coordinated.

The Air System has been out for a while longer. It was introduced at the time of the big Pro8a Air pack a few months ago. That and the D1 Airs are the only things that can be controlled with the Air Remote unit, or the Air USB unit while connected to a computer and running their software (Studio Air). There is an Air Sync that can plug into other packs or heads, much like a PocketWizard, and be used to trigger the device, but it does not provided individual lighting control, just triggering.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on build, etc. Will be interesting to get your impressions once you start playing with them more. Your first results looked good for the light shaping and such, and I am sure it will be really nice to start trying more creative lighting also. I like softbox lighting for a lot of things, and am hoping the light from these units will work well in various boxes. I do not think there will be any issues with things like grids, and even the beauty dish, as it has a central reflector piece to kick the light around. Not sure how longer throw reflectors will work, and most wide reflectors would not, unless the glass dome is used.

Lots to play with and think about. Thanks again for letting us in on your new toys ;-)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Bob,
    The WB explains it for me. Take it up to daylight or even flash at 5500K or so and things should jump into place nicely.

LJ
    Corrected the following to 5100K.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

i'm a proud owner of a D1 1000 Air kit... but there's one think i don't like with it... you can't put the head completly vertical ... i have to find a bogen part to be able to do it !
    Any idea of the part i should use for it ?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea of the part i should use for it ?
    anything better than the manfrotto/bogen 026 ?

Post Thanks / Like

by the way, it looks like that the color T is around 6600K while on the website it said to be 5600K !

T checked with leaf capture and a gretag white black grey card !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    by the way, it looks like that the color T is around 6600K while on the website it said to be 5600K !

T checked with leaf capture and a gretag white black grey card !
    Do the skintones look as though it is 6600K ?

Post Thanks / Like

i've used it only on location for artwork reproduction... i will check it, as soon as i can !

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering if anyone has come across any major limitations after several months of use?
    Any problems with light spread with large soft boxes or with beauty dishes like molas?

Post Thanks / Like

how is the hardware? the hardware on the new acute portable head is junk!!