The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

profot soft boxes, grr!

jlm

Workshop Member
am struggling to dis-assemble a couple of these, 3' x 4' fitted with speed ring. cannot seem to pop the struts out of the ring no matter how much i twist and flex (the struts, that is).

any advice?

thx

robertwright

am struggling to dis-assemble a couple of these, 3' x 4' fitted with speed ring. cannot seem to pop the struts out of the ring no matter how much i twist and flex (the struts, that is).

any advice?

thx
I have the octa and they are tough. I've found that I have to remove all the baffles and front silk completely, undo any velcro around the neck, this allows for flex in the shape of the box which gives enough room to undo the rods. Also do opposing sides and brace the opposite side against a wall or something that you can push against to flex the opposite rod while you pull out the opposing rod.

but really mostly it was take all the other stuff off that made the difference.

FelixWu

any advice?

thx
I only used the 3x4 once not long after I bought the profoto units. Some effect required to get take these things apart. But I latter learned that the best way to install and take apart the softbox is by doing it in diagonal orders. Hope it helps.

abstract

The tips mentioned above are good ones. One other thing when pulling the wands/rods/struts from the speed ring, is to try to keep the wands/rods/struts heads as parallel as possible to the hole so as to make the entry/removal as smooth and effortless as possible. When one tries to remove them when the wands/rods/struts are at an angle, there is a lot of friction. I find this removal method to be useful with other lighting equipment brands as well.