The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

flash bracket for Profoto B2

cunim

I am thinking of a B2 single head unit to allow me to get into some small spaces that my D1 and D4 heads won't fit. Not the ideal solution (low output) but should do while keeping everything on the Air system. I know how to use that, and I find fancy flash controllers as challenging as the old VCRs.

Anyway, I need a flash bracket that would let me use the B2 on both a Sony A7R2 and Phase DF+. Anyone have experience with the PMG Boomerang X? I have not seen it used with the DF.

Another issue is getting a flash bracket to work with a hand strap (Camadaptor). I depend on a strap to make the weight more manageable. Otherwise that DF is too heavy, even without the bracket and head. Anyone using hand straps with flash brackets?

FelixWu

I am thinking of a B2 single head unit to allow me to get into some small spaces that my D1 and D4 heads won't fit. Not the ideal solution (low output) but should do while keeping everything on the Air system. I know how to use that, and I find fancy flash controllers as challenging as the old VCRs.

Anyway, I need a flash bracket that would let me use the B2 on both a Sony A7R2 and Phase DF+. Anyone have experience with the PMG Boomerang X? I have not seen it used with the DF.

Another issue is getting a flash bracket to work with a hand strap (Camadaptor). I depend on a strap to make the weight more manageable. Otherwise that DF is too heavy, even without the bracket and head. Anyone using hand straps with flash brackets?
I used the bracket with B2 with Canon 1dx with L plate and lens attached. I had the bracket screwed directly under my L-plate so that I don't have to keep shifting things.

Super heavy once the head, the bracket the camera and the lens are all up in your hands! PhaseOne is even heavier.

fotografz

I use Kirk Grip with ARCA mount like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859456-REG/Kirk_AG_2L_AG_2L_Left_Handle_Action.html

Handstrap on right, grip on left for very secure hand held work. Camera with L Bracket fits the ARCA mount. Light mounts on the hand grip. Hot shoe remains free to take the AIR Tranciever.

If you want the B2 head higher and right over the lens, then you'd need an articulated extension, or a different flip bracket.

- Marc

cunim

I use Kirk Grip with ARCA mount like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859456-REG/Kirk_AG_2L_AG_2L_Left_Handle_Action.html

Handstrap on right, grip on left for very secure hand held work. Camera with L Bracket fits the ARCA mount. Light mounts on the hand grip. Hot shoe remains free to take the AIR Tranciever.

If you want the B2 head higher and right over the lens, then you'd need an articulated extension, or a different flip bracket.

- Marc
This looks like a good setup. Not as visually interesting as the PMG but with a practical hand grip and simple construction. Like that they put AS plates top and bottom of the base.

kdphotography

My back hurts just thinking of using a flash bracket and the B2 on top---reminds me of when I used to shoot mf film with a Qflash on top.

One of the advantages to a bracket like the Boomerang or Custom Brackets is being able to keep the flash centered above the lens whether in portrait or landscape orientation.

*ouch*---I think I much prefer a lighter speedlite on a bracket and then keep the B2 completely off camera....

ken

cunim

My back hurts just thinking of using a flash bracket and the B2 on top---reminds me of when I used to shoot mf film with a Qflash on top.

One of the advantages to a bracket like the Boomerang or Custom Brackets is being able to keep the flash centered above the lens whether in portrait or landscape orientation.

*ouch*---I think I much prefer a lighter speedlite on a bracket and then keep the B2 completely off camera....

ken
Good advice. I will pick the B2 up tomorrow and use it a bit before deciding. Now if I could just train the dog to point with a flash bracket on his head .....

fotografz

I'd tend to agree with Ken.

With the Kirk Grip, my most used mobile set-up is TTL flash in the hot-shoe for fill, and B1 or B2 off-camera as key light triggered by the AIR Remote located on top of the grip and hard-wired to the camera with a PC cord. Using the "Remote" (as opposed to the AIR "Sync") transmitter allows adjustments of the off-camera light as needed from the camera.

I use an assistant, or anyone that'll help, as my human light stand when working mobile ... B2 head on a hand-held boom arm like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/740942-REG/Elinchrom_EL_31049_EL_Handheld_Boom_Arm.html

Unfortunately, while this set-up would work with your Phase camera (as it does with my Leica S) ... it doesn't with the A7R-II because there is NOT a PC outlet on the Sony.:angry:

I do use the Sony with all strobes off-camera, and the AIR Remote in the hot-shoe. Fine for stationary set-ups or studio stuff, but requires two assistants ands/or two stands when trying to be mobile.

I gave up on worrying about the Sony with Profotos for mobile work, and went with a Pair of Nissan TTL speed-lights and their TTL sender for Sony. Set the camera to wireless flash, Transmitter in hot-shoe, one speed-light on the Kirk grip handle for fill, and one off-camera for key. The Nissan transmitter allows setting ratios for separate speed-lights even with TTL. Befitting the complex Sony cameras, the interface for these Nissans requires a degree from MIT, and a translator for the instructions.:ROTFL:

- Marc

kdphotography

Marc,

Offtopic, but would something like a hotshoe pc adapter work? I just found this: Amazon.com : HuiHuang Travor Hot Shoe Mount Adapter HC-511 for Sony A7 A7R Camera MI Interface to Canon Flash : Camera & Photo

It might allow connecting the Profoto Air Sync, attached to a flash bracket (or put Profoto transmitter cold shoe into the hotshoe adapter even).

No experience with it, but put it on my Amazon wish list for my son who does shoot with the A7II, but now in retrospect am fearful he takes the Canon speedlites on the shelf and also goes for the B1 and B2s....

ken

cunim

I've now fooled about with the B2. Very nice for indoor work. Given that I have no assistant (I've given up on the dog) and aging rotator cuffs, holding the B2 aloft with one hand and holding the camera with the other is a painful option. I will try to find the Kirk unit at a local shop and see how it hefts.

fotografz

Marc,

Offtopic, but would something like a hotshoe pc adapter work? I just found this: Amazon.com : HuiHuang Travor Hot Shoe Mount Adapter HC-511 for Sony A7 A7R Camera MI Interface to Canon Flash : Camera & Photo

It might allow connecting the Profoto Air Sync, attached to a flash bracket (or put Profoto transmitter cold shoe into the hotshoe adapter even).

No experience with it, but put it on my Amazon wish list for my son who does shoot with the A7II, but now in retrospect am fearful he takes the Canon speedlites on the shelf and also goes for the B1 and B2s....

ken
Thanks Ken.

I don't think that is what is called a pass-through TTL adapter.

I tried something like it with the A7R-II. Placed the adapter in the hot shoe hard-wired to the Profoto AIR sender on the grip handle, then a speed-light in the adapter set to A rather than TTL ... very inconsistent results ... unusable actually. With highly mobile work, like at weddings or multiple location portraits, I like using the speed-light as TTL fill when working with off-camera strobes as key light. For that application not having a PC port on the Sony body is a real PITA.

- Marc

kdphotography

Bummer---figures. You just saved me 14 bucks. ;)

Now if Sony comes out with their own TTL transmitter, might change things for some, but probably not for me.

I still use my old Canon 1Ds III, custom bracket---speedlight up top, and either PW or Profoto transmitter hooked up with the pc sync to trigger the lights off camera. Works like a charm. Too bad Sony missed something so simple as a pc sync socket.

ken

cunim

Well, I weakened and picked up both a PMG BBX and a mini light stand (Mathews, Cheetah is not in Canada). So far, only tried with the Sony.

The BBX is a device that suggests its manufacturer has a clue. Nicely made, light, and very functional. I really like the ease with which I can flip between vertical and horizontal. Mounting and removing is also easy.

OTOH, you lads were right and the weight issue is certainly there. Not the BBX, but once the B2 is on top of it, yes. However, it is so convenient not having to worry about moving the stand that I think I will put up with the weight. For static objects or with the OCF soft box, I'll probably put the B2 on the light stand. Taking pictures on the go I'll try using the BBX. Let's see how I feel about it all in six months.

rickgrainger

It appears that folks really seem to be happy with their ProFotos. Been seriously considering ditching the speedlight only method and picking up a B2 kit.

Rick

kdphotography

The B2 definitely offers better quality light and a choices in modifiers than speedlites, but the biggest difference is getting that light off-camera.

rickgrainger

Well, reporting in.

I took the leap and purchased the Profoto B2 Location kit. (Two heads and a spare battery).

This light is fantastic!

Sold all of my Phottix Mitros+ speedlights and have a buyer lined up for my Phottix Indra500.
Kept my Nikon SB-910 speedlight (which has a PC connector on it).

Currently, I use the Nikon SB-910 on my Nikon body and plug a PC cable into the speedlight. The other end of the cable (3.5mm) goes into
a Profoto Air Remote that is attached to my L bracket with a couple of small pieces that I had acquired. I keep one Profoto B2 head on a
Cheetahstand (collapsible legs) and hook the battery on it with the supplied loop strap. Works great!
Now, the ProFoto head doesn't have TTL nor HSS, but I can adjust it quickly from camera position using the Air Remote.
It seems like it is all put together with duct tape, baling wire, and a lot of prayer, but it works for me and allows me to move quickly at weddings,
not to mention get great lighting that most guest "iPhone photographers" just can't duplicate. :)

Now, I would love to see Profoto and Metz collaborate on a TTL shoe-mount speedlight with a built in Air Remote TTL unit.
Thereby allowing a hot shoe flash to fill in shadows while triggering off camera B1s and B2s; and also allowing for HSS.

If this doesn't come to pass, maybe a Leica S, Hasselblad X1D, or a rumored Fuji MFD mirrorless might be a good replacement for the Nikons.
Just need some cash to drop out of the sky. :D

Rick

kdphotography

FYI, Promediagear a makes a B2 battery cage that allows you to attach the battery pack to a light stand without it dangling from the strap. I haven't opted for this method---just an fyi. This is a $250+ option. Expensive but pretty slick---it doesn't interfere with swapping out batteries on the pack.

ken

rollsman44

FYI, Promediagear a makes a B2 battery cage that allows you to attach the battery pack to a light stand without it dangling from the strap. I haven't opted for this method---just an fyi. This is a $250+ option. Expensive but pretty slick---it doesn't interfere with swapping out batteries on the pack.

ken
JUST MY .02 I need to shoot vertical and horizontal with the speedlight mounted on top and just having the camera rotate vert and horrid. Custom brackets makes a bracket which I use on weddings. My concern NOW IS SHOOTING with a Med Format camera which is heavier then some DSLR. I would like another way to accomplish what I do with another bracket or device to make it easier and lighter

kdphotography

Dennis, I don't know about getting lighter---but I'd talk to the folks at Custom Brackets again. I used to shoot weddings in the days of medium format film, and the best bracket was the Custom Bracket---which kept the speedlite (or Qflash) directly over the lens while the camera rotated. I wouldn't do this with the XF, but with other medium format bodies it is do-able.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ken.

I don't think that is what is called a pass-through TTL adapter.

I tried something like it with the A7R-II. Placed the adapter in the hot shoe hard-wired to the Profoto AIR sender on the grip handle, then a speed-light in the adapter set to A rather than TTL ... very inconsistent results ... unusable actually. With highly mobile work, like at weddings or multiple location portraits, I like using the speed-light as TTL fill when working with off-camera strobes as key light. For that application not having a PC port on the Sony body is a real PITA.

- Marc
Gotta love Photokina. Sony and Profoto are cooperating-----TTL Air Sync coming in 2017!

ken