The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto D1 vs Broncolor Siros

raj

Hello hello!

I've seen a wealth of information here, so I figured I'd come ask my questions :)

I'm currently in the market for studio lights. I've been using an Elinchrom 600S and an Elinchrom Ranger RX set with one head. I recently sold the Ranger RX as I wasn't really shooting on location often enough to justify having that light. I also really despise the Elinchrom mount, which, in my opinion, is one of the worst designed things in photography.

Now I'm looking at buying either the Profoto D1 or the Broncolor Siros. I primarily enjoy using large light sources as you can see in most of my work here: RAJ BHARDWAJ

I've used Profoto Compacts and the Profoto B1 before and recently rented the Broncolor Siros. I loved the Broncolor Siros. I always thought Broncolor was very expensive, more so than Profoto, but recently I found out that it's not really the case with the Siros.

I sometimes rent the Profoto Giant as I get a good deal on it. I'd eventually like to rent/buy the Broncolor Paras. I can rent the Profoto for $50/day and the Paras for about $150-$175/day.

If I get the Profoto, I can use any modifier (speciality or not) from any brand. If I get the Broncolor, I'm pretty much set with Broncolor speciality modifiers.

I believe the Siros are better lights (better color consistency, exposed bulb, 9 stop range vs 7 stop range). If I get the Profoto, I'd be annoyed with the recessed lights (I don't hear great things about them).

Any suggestions? Thank you!

FelixWu

Hello hello!

I've seen a wealth of information here, so I figured I'd come ask my questions :)

I'm currently in the market for studio lights. I've been using an Elinchrom 600S and an Elinchrom Ranger RX set with one head. I recently sold the Ranger RX as I wasn't really shooting on location often enough to justify having that light. I also really despise the Elinchrom mount, which, in my opinion, is one of the worst designed things in photography.

Now I'm looking at buying either the Profoto D1 or the Broncolor Siros. I primarily enjoy using large light sources as you can see in most of my work here: RAJ BHARDWAJ

I've used Profoto Compacts and the Profoto B1 before and recently rented the Broncolor Siros. I loved the Broncolor Siros. I always thought Broncolor was very expensive, more so than Profoto, but recently I found out that it's not really the case with the Siros.

I sometimes rent the Profoto Giant as I get a good deal on it. I'd eventually like to rent/buy the Broncolor Paras. I can rent the Profoto for $50/day and the Paras for about $150-$175/day.

If I get the Profoto, I can use any modifier (speciality or not) from any brand. If I get the Broncolor, I'm pretty much set with Broncolor speciality modifiers.

I believe the Siros are better lights (better color consistency, exposed bulb, 9 stop range vs 7 stop range). If I get the Profoto, I'd be annoyed with the recessed lights (I don't hear great things about them).

Any suggestions? Thank you!
The non recessed tube will likely to have slightly better light quality in some modifiers. Go with Siros if you need them now and if the Bron system works for you, or wait for a few months to see what will Profoto bring to the table.

JohnGress

The non recessed tube will likely to have slightly better light quality in some modifiers. Go with Siros if you need them now and if the Bron system works for you, or wait for a few months to see what will Profoto bring to the table.
Very true. I just wrote a review comparing the two and the Bron Siros creates soter more even light than the D1 in some modifiers. But the dome on the D1 really doesn't make it the same as a pro head or a Siros in the right modifier. http://johngress.com/broncolor-siros-800-s-v-profoto-d1-500-air-review/

robmac

Agree with John above. We had a mix of old and new Profoto gear, packs and monolights - including D1s, B1 and B2 - all with domes (except B2 obviously). While the recessed light has it's advantages for travel, etc., they aren't great in any modifier that needs more than a 70 deg spread of light. BDs, large boxes, Paras, certain 'tin' reflectors, etc. With a dome it's better but not the same as the 180 deg spread of an exposed tube. Call it splitting the difference between no dome and old style.

It got so annoying having to parse out lights on a shoot depending on what worked best with certain mods, that we sold all our recessed units and moved to just 'old-style' Acute & Pro packs & heads plus some older Compact monolights.

It really comes down to what you primarily intended to shoot, what mods typically used, budget etc., By all appearances, the Brons are nice, but have no experience with them.