The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto Acute head question

med

Having recently acquired an Acute 600B pack (which is awesome!), I decided to acquire an Acute Twin head to experiment a bit (lower flash durations, and higher power potential if I acquire more packs in the future). In testing the Twin head on the 600B pack I noticed a few things.

As expected, both tubes on the Twin head pop when connected to the 600B pack, and the modelling light doesn't work (I don't have the adaptor). This is all as expected, however I haven't heard the fan come on yet, but haven't really done much more than fire it at full power a few times in succession. At this point I'm unsure of whether the fan isn't on because it doesn't need to be, it won't ever be on the 600B pack, or, worse, it is broken and I need to return it to the seller. My questions are:

1) Can the 600B pack supply the power to the fan on non-B Acute/D4 (Twin) heads if required?
2) Does the fan on Acute/D4 heads only turn on when it heats up, or should I hear it as soon as I fire the pack up?
3) If I won't be using the primary source of heat on the head (the modelling light), do I even *need* the fan to run at any time?

I'm going to ask my dealer if I can come by and test the head with an Acute/D4 head so I can at least make sure everything works properly. I doubt I would cause any heat issues at my shooting pace if the fan was indeed broken (also, the Acute B head seems to do ok popping at up to 600ws without a fan), but I would prefer it to kick in if it was needed instead of melting something... especially if I acquired another 600B pack and fired it at 1200ws.

Thanks!

-Matt

robmac

The AcuteB pack was never designed for a head with a fan and doesn't have the power supply pins on the female side of the socket to supply power to same - would suck the battery dry quickly. If you plug in an Acute2 /D4 head into an AcuteB pack, you don't get fan power. In short - what you're seeing is normal.

While given the good but not blistering recycle rate of the AcuteB and the max ~ 200 pops at ~600WS per battery it will be fine, and while odds of having an issue are very slim, it would still be prudent to keep an eye on it if using it hard with two packs with head tightly enclosed with no air flow. If gets hot, just slow pace down.

Oh, BTW if want a 2nd AcuteB kit, drop me a line - have one of ours for sale in N.S.

Having recently acquired an Acute 600B pack (which is awesome!), I decided to acquire an Acute Twin head to experiment a bit (lower flash durations, and higher power potential if I acquire more packs in the future). In testing the Twin head on the 600B pack I noticed a few things.

As expected, both tubes on the Twin head pop when connected to the 600B pack, and the modelling light doesn't work (I don't have the adaptor). This is all as expected, however I haven't heard the fan come on yet, but haven't really done much more than fire it at full power a few times in succession. At this point I'm unsure of whether the fan isn't on because it doesn't need to be, it won't ever be on the 600B pack, or, worse, it is broken and I need to return it to the seller. My questions are:

1) Can the 600B pack supply the power to the fan on non-B Acute/D4 (Twin) heads if required?
2) Does the fan on Acute/D4 heads only turn on when it heats up, or should I hear it as soon as I fire the pack up?
3) If I won't be using the primary source of heat on the head (the modelling light), do I even *need* the fan to run at any time?

I'm going to ask my dealer if I can come by and test the head with an Acute/D4 head so I can at least make sure everything works properly. I doubt I would cause any heat issues at my shooting pace if the fan was indeed broken (also, the Acute B head seems to do ok popping at up to 600ws without a fan), but I would prefer it to kick in if it was needed instead of melting something... especially if I acquired another 600B pack and fired it at 1200ws.

Thanks!

-Matt

med

Many thanks! Good to know that what I'm seeing is normal. I suppose if there was a high risk of overheating they wouldn't have designed the AcuteB packs to take regular Acute heads, would they?

The AcuteB pack was never designed for a head with a fan and doesn't have the power supply pins on the female side of the socket to supply power to same - would suck the battery dry quickly. If you plug in an Acute2 /D4 head into an AcuteB pack, you don't get fan power. In short - what you're seeing is normal.

While given the good but not blistering recycle rate of the AcuteB and the max ~ 200 pops at ~600WS per battery it will be fine, and while odds of having an issue are very slim, it would still be prudent to keep an eye on it if using it hard with two packs with head tightly enclosed with no air flow. If gets hot, just slow pace down.

Oh, BTW if want a 2nd AcuteB kit, drop me a line - have one of ours for sale in N.S.