The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody using the Profoto D2?

Swissblad

I need to replace some old flash units and wonder if the D2 is worth the upgrade over the D1......ie full TTL (which I rarely use), HSS etc

Thanks for input, suggestions.

S ;)

fotografz

I need to replace some old flash units and wonder if the D2 is worth the upgrade over the D1......ie full TTL (which I rarely use), HSS etc

Thanks for input, suggestions.

S ;)
I mulled over the same question. I concluded that it wasn't worth it. I simply don't have a need for TTL and HSS in studio where my current D1s are used.

However, I also have the B1 and B2 portable units, and they ARE worth it for both TTL and HHS outdoors or for action work.

Like the D2 monos, the B1 and B2 have USB ports for firmware updates to keep them current as new features may become available or new TTL/HSS cameras are added. The D1s do not have USB ports.

Yesterday I updated the firmware for my B1 and B2 units to add TTL and HSS because Profoto recently added a Profoto AIR-S Transmitter, (Sony TTL/HSS). I had to update the firmware on my Sony A7R-II also. It all works fabulously well ... total control of bright backgrounds even up to 1/8000 shutter!

Then my friend came over in the afternoon to test it all in the brutal Florida sun. We did an acid test by shooting him backlit with the sun just barely out of the frame ... you literally could not hardly look at the scene it was such a bright white sky background. This was our initial exploration with just the little B2 unit ... next we are going to test the B1 alone, then the B2 and B1 together. Really want to do a beach shoot with this new kit.

Attached example: Sony A7R-II, ISO 100, Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 @ f/1.8, 1/2500 shutter ... Profoto AIR-S/TTL HSS, B2 with single head, small soft box. When TTL/HSS is used, the light automatically sets itself to maximum output (250W/s for the B2) and pulses the light duration to fit the shutter speed requirement.

If you do any outdoor work maybe the B1 would work for you? ... I even use mine in studio. I think they are about the same price as the D2s.

- Marc

Attachments

Swissblad

Thanks for the input, Marc...... I was pondering the D2 vs B1 as well......might lean towards the latter...no cables to trip over....
... and like you I updated by B2's last night... a terrific little system.
Cheers, S ;)

FelixWu

Thanks for the input, Marc...... I was pondering the D2 vs B1 as well......might lean towards the latter...no cables to trip over....
... and like you I updated by B2's last night... a terrific little system.
Cheers, S ;)
I have been wondering about the D2 as well. I may get two eventually. I used to shoot a lot of location work but now more and more studio/indoor work as well. I have 2xB1, B4 and a D1 500ws so for fashion or portrait most of my needs are covered. If I were to add more lights, I really wonder if I should jus invest in D2 for future proofing myself.

D2/D1 have modeling lamp which are great for studio work and the D2 recycles much faster and with newer technology (similar to B1) it should be more consistent/reliable than the old tech D1. But you could almost get two D1 for the price of a single D2.:eek:

baudolino

I just got one D2 recently (1000Ws version) and used in the studio for the first time last week.
I like the fast recycling time and a proper modelling light, compared to the B1's but...I still prefer using my D4 Air power pack that I bought almost new on eBay, for less than half the list price - the AcuteD4 heads I got for it (again at 1/2 the new price) are much smaller and lighter, which makes a big difference on a boom, especially with a heavier modifier like one of the Molas, and I find it quicker and easier to change power on the pack rather than on the head itself, especially when it's hanging somewhere out of touch (yes, the AirRemote helps here, but still...)

fotografz

Yep, semi-retirement is a bitch ... puts a damper on unbridled participation in frequent tech advancements in any category of photo gear. On the other hand, it makes you really evaluate what you already have and how competent it actually is.

While aggressively downsizing, I probably should have kept one of my D4R packs and a couple of heads for the same reason ... much better for boomed lighting. The D1/B1 mono heads put quite a strain on all but the most staunch stand/boom-arm.

Fortunately, I had enough brains to keep my Profoto Acute B2 600 AIR Lithium kit which has a really small, light weight head for boom work. Likewise, I also kept a Hensel 1200L pack with the AC converter insert and its smaller pack heads (the pack has Profoto AIR receiver built-in). I use this inside or out ... mostly when booming a big Mola in studio.

Hope it all lasts for a while ... :toocool:

- Marc

kdphotography

I'm finding it really hard to downsize, but the struggle continues :)

I had an extra Profoto B600 lithium battery, picked up another Acute2 B600 and lamphead in great condition, dead battery---got it for a steal and now have another B600 lithium pack. Love the integration with the Phase XF Profoto Air. Tempted to pick up a Profoto Acute twin head so I can hook up both packs to the head for more power if needed. Still haven't quite found the love for the B1, though it does all I ask of it. If Profoto updates the B2 with more powerful specs, I wouldn't mind picking one up.

ken