The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Lighting System Coming Soon

iiiNelson

Well the news is out the bag and the Kickstarter promotion has begun.

I've had to sit on the information for the better part of this year but the team has been hard at work with input from many photographers (to include both full time/part time, commercial, hobbyists, cinematographers, etc.) on a "wish list" of features to deliver what many believe is a unique product to the photographic community.

Highlights include:

Portable & weather sealed: Weight-saving aluminum alloy allows us to make PHOTONICZ ONE the smallest full-featured strobe on the market, and its unique weather sealing opens up new locations and shooting scenarios never-before possible (for example, rain or snow is no longer going to prevent you from using your strobes).
Unprecedented power: This tiny strobe can deliver thousands of full power flashes (equivalent to more than 2,500Ws under various conditions) on a single charge, with no need for AC power.
App-based touch screen interface: PHOTONICZ ONE eschews the traditional knobs and buttons for a modern touch screen interface complete with one-touch lighting setups and settings presets.
App-based remote: The PHOTONICZ REMOTE features an OLED display and built-in light meter that can automatically adjust exposure settings for you (see below for more on adding the optional remote to your backer package). The PHOTONICZ REMOTE can also connect to Android and iOS phones via an app for even more functionality.
Max-range wireless sync: PHOTONICZ ONE can wirelessly synch to your camera from up to a kilometer away (that’s roughly 3000 feet for us Americans), and can be triggered individually or as part of a group with more than a hundred strobes at very low latency.
Bowens-s compatible accessory mount: PHOTONICZ ONE is compatible with Bowens S-type speedring inserts, so if you already have modifiers, all you likely need is change your speedring insert and you are good to go.
Universal batteries: Powerful long-lasting v-lock batteries can power other gear as well as your PHOTONICZ ONE.
Lifetime software and hardware updates: Not only will you receive all the firmware updates for free, but our modular hardware design will allow us to offer upgrades to legacy hardware effectively extending the lifetime of your PHOTONICZ ONE well beyond your original purchase.
Never-Before-Possible Features Unlock New Creative Possibilities

While most photographers will be excited to shed the constraints of today’s traditional strobes and limiting LED solutions, the giant step forward we’ve taken with PHOTONICZ ONE also allowed us to build some truly exciting new features into the light, such as:
InstaCharge – Zero recycle time: With PHOTONICZ ONE’s InstaCharge capability, our strobe can fire as quickly as your camera can operate its shutter with zero recycle time, even at full power every time you‘d like.
TruePower – Unheard of high speed sync: PHOTONICZ ONE offers the world’s first TruePower feature allowing photographers to shoot at motion-stopping speeds up to 1/50,000th of a second across the strobe’s entire power range for crisp action-freezing images.
TrueSync – Native camera compatibility: Our TrueSync technology ensures that PHOTONICZ ONE can adjust its flash duration dynamically to the needs of your camera system, enabling communication with most Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Hasselblad, and PhaseOne cameras. Swapping between camera bodies in the middle of a shoot is now seamless, and if you ever change systems, all you’ll need is a new remote. It’s that simple.
PhotoniczSync – Built-in High Performance Wireless: Our proprietary 2.4 GHz RF system offers numerous redundancies to ensure maximum range and compatibility with the most demanding camera systems available today.
HSSPro – Next Gen High Speed Sync: Our ability to seamlessly control power and flash duration enables PHOTONICZ ONE to perfectly sync with the camera’s shutter at up to 1/32,000th of a second, resulting in the best possible exposure no matter what system you are using or what shutter speed you are shooting.
TruTTL – Actual TTL metering: PHOTONICZ ONE offers the world’s first TrueTTL, which eliminates the simulated pre-flash that other strobes require to deliver more accurate exposure results. Knowing how your images will look even before you take the shot will change how you work.
TrueBracket – Flash bracket multiple exposures: The world’s first TrueBracket technology allows shooters to bracket exposure with the strobe output rather than shutter speed, aperture, or ISO alone, which means no lag between exposures for crisp HDRs and much reduced post processing for images where you combine multiple bracketing approaches.
VariSpeed – Variable flash output: PHOTONICZ ONE’s VariSpeed can adjust the flash duration based on the shutter speed you select. Unlike traditional solutions which only enable the strobe to reduce flash duration at the cost of power output, VariSpeed can extend the flash duration, effectively contributing more artificial light to your exposure. This effectively raises the output equivalent to levels impossible to achieve with traditional technology.
VariShape & VariPattern – Customize light shape and emission patterns: With VariShape, if you can imagine a shape PHOTONICZ ONE can recreate that light pattern for creative lighting possibilities; while VariPattern allows complete control over the emission pattern of the LEDs.

kdphotography

2400ws?? I find that hard to believe watching the video, not to mention claimed capacity of thousands of flashes at full power (e.g., 2400ws) on a single battery charge.

It'll be interesting to sit back and watch what develops.

ken

steve_cor

2400ws?? I find that hard to believe watching the video, not to mention claimed capacity of thousands of flashes at full power (e.g., 2400ws) on a single battery charge.

It'll be interesting to sit back and watch what develops.

ken
Ken,
It's not a flash tube, it's LEDs. I think they are saying the brightness of the LEDs is equivalent to the brightness of 2400ws.

--Steve.

jdphoto

The specs are interesting, but the name is terrible. Branding is important and maybe I should get out more, but i'm not sure if the emphasis is on "Photo" or "Photon". I'd also like a Profoto mount because of the safety and versatility.

iiiNelson

The specs are interesting, but the name is terrible. Branding is important and maybe I should get out more, but i'm not sure if the emphasis is on "Photo" or "Photon". I'd also like a Profoto mount because of the safety and versatility.
Full disclosure, I happen to know the owner and principle developer of these lights. He happens to be someone that does most of his work in Hollywood production with Red Cameras and commercial photography with Phase One and Sony Mirrorless cameras. While developing these lights, his main motivation was bringing something different to the table than what was available. To start the most important thing was light quality and consistent temperature while raising and lowering power. Then it was about bringing the right features together at a certain price. The preproduction lights are working and have been in testing for about a year. The last 4-6 months have been dedicated to optimization for each camera system prior to production.

I assume there's a substantial licensing fee for the Profoto mount... or maybe they're unwilling to license their mount.

I think Bowen's S mount is a smart option since it allows for some less expensive modifier options. Identical modifiers often cost more in Profoto mount than in any other mount. That's not to say that Profoto isn't worth it because it's sort of "the standard" though you can argue for Broncolor as well. Bowen's S mount is a very stable mount though and very secure with heavy modifiers. It's a good compromise if one wants to compete with Profoto/Broncolor in lighting quality but Asian companies in price.

iiiNelson

Ken,
It's not a flash tube, it's LEDs. I think they are saying the brightness of the LEDs is equivalent to the brightness of 2400ws.

--Steve.
Yeah and the problem lies in that traditional strobes tend to be measured in watt seconds versus lumens. LED doesn't use the same amount of power so watt seconds wouldn't really capture the output brightness from a marketing standpoint. For instance a Profoto B1 LED modeling light is rated at 20w but is equivalent to a 70w Halogen in brightness.

V

Vivek

I am quite interested in this. The price and a few concerns I have regarding CI of the output (compared to that of a Xenon tube) would keep me from becoming an early adopter.

I will continue to follow this development with much interest.

iiiNelson

I'd be a little concerned since this is apparently this is one of they guys who did a Kickstarter last year to start a Priolite distributorship in the U.S. and never fulfilled all of the orders.
Alex is not an owner or involved in management of Priolite. Priolite is a German owned company. This company has absolutely nothing to do with Priolite or the Kickstarter campaign by that company. That being said Priolite is still actively producing products (The Leica remote was developed and released earlier this year) and I fulfilling orders from Kickstarter (slowly).

med

I assume there's a substantial licensing fee for the Profoto mount... or maybe they're unwilling to license their mount.

Can you patent and then license a ~100mm tube? The brilliance of the Profoto mount IMO is that the receiving end (the light) isn't a "mount" at all... just a tube around the light.

I'm not sure if Hive Lighting had to pay Profoto (I doubt it) to license their mount for their LED light kickstarter (Wasp 100C) but they were able to manufacture their lights in a Profoto-friendly enclosure and that's why they received my money. It is possible that if permission from Profoto was required that they were ok with it since the Hive light is a continuous light and doesn't compete directly with Profoto strobes directly.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Can you patent and then license a ~100mm tube? The brilliance of the Profoto mount IMO is that the receiving end (the light) isn't a "mount" at all... just a tube around the light.

I'm not sure if Hive Lighting had to pay Profoto (I doubt it) to license their mount for their LED light kickstarter (Wasp 100C) but they were able to manufacture their lights in a Profoto-friendly enclosure and that's why they received my money. It is possible that if permission from Profoto was required that they were ok with it since the Hive light is a continuous light and doesn't compete directly with Profoto strobes directly.
Depends on what you find necessary... in any case it's pretty easy and cheap to convert most modifiers if you want to with a new mount ring. I'm not 100% familiar with Hive Lighting other than knowing their name and knowing they target the filmmaker crowd more than the photography crowd.

I'd assume that the Profoto mount is patented otherwise I'm sure we'd see a lot of copies of it. Instead most everyone chooses Bowens S-mount for strobe lighting whether it's Bowens, Phottix, Godox, Photonicz, etc. one reason many choose Bowens is that lights with exposed bulb really get into the modifier for max efficiency. That's not to say Profot is bad - it's he established standard for many pros and rental houses but many choose the pack/head setups over the monoblocks for a reason. Choice is good and I can't nor won't disparage Profoto. They are top shelf lights.

med

Depends on what you find necessary... in any case it's pretty easy and cheap to convert most modifiers if you want to with a new mount ring. I'm not 100% familiar with Hive Lighting other than knowing their name and knowing they target the filmmaker crowd more than the photography crowd.

I'd assume that the Profoto mount is patented otherwise I'm sure we'd see a lot of copies of it. Instead most everyone chooses Bowens S-mount for strobe lighting whether it's Bowens, Phottix, Godox, Photonicz, etc. one reason many choose Bowens is that lights with exposed bulb really get into the modifier for max efficiency. That's not to say Profot is bad - it's he established standard for many pros and rental houses but many choose the pack/head setups over the monoblocks for a reason. Choice is good and I can't nor won't disparage Profoto. They are top shelf lights.
Yes, I bought the Hive lights for video work, not still. The fact that it could take my existing Profoto modifiers right out of the box was a huge selling feature!

You're probably right... if all anybody had to do was make a tube shaped light that happens to be 100mm in diameter to take advantage of the Profoto modifiers, I'm sure more would do it.

fotografz

I apologize in advance if my questions have already been answered.

These are Mono-Light strobes that deliver up to 2400W/s at full power? That would make them the most powerful monos the world has ever seen by a factor of 2X.

They have zero recycle time?

Profoto mount is available for almost any make of modifier. I prefer Elinchrom Rotalux mods because of their easy set-up/tear-down but use them on Profoto lights because the light characteristics can be modified by sliding it back and forth on the strobe body, and it is the most secure.

- Marc

Had a friend link me to this a while back; very interesting and similar to the Rotolight, but with much more power.

Curiously, though, even with some high profile names in the video, no results were shown... Some really lofty promises made.

As far as the mount, swapping out a speedring is easy enough. I'd like to have backed the project, but much of it seems too good to be true (to me) at least, right now.