The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best modifier for group/family photos?

jdphoto

My experience shooting with strobes is usually with individuals. I'm curious what the best modifier would be to get the most throw and spread?

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Depends on the size of the group
I’m anticipating taking a group of 32 men; I plan on seating half of them with the balance standing behind.
I plan on using two large umbrellas to light the group, but I anticipate the aiming the lights directly at the group will result in flat light; therefore I plan on feathering the lights from one side adjusting the output so the light is evenly distributed.
Stanley

msstudio

I’m anticipating taking a group of 32 men; I plan on seating half of them with the balance standing behind.
I plan on using two large umbrellas to light the group, but I anticipate the aiming the lights directly at the group will result in flat light; therefore I plan on feathering the lights from one side adjusting the output so the light is evenly distributed.
Stanley
My usual go to is the elinchrom Octa, usually that’s good for 3-5/8 people, feathered of form the left, often ending up at a near 90mdeh angle away from the subject, once I need to shoot more people in one frame I actually use multiples of these and stager them in a similar angle and height to have a somewhat even spread, and some fill so I don’t loose the shadows.

kdphotography

Stanley
I would not worry about "flat" lighting as opposed to simply lighting the entire group evenly, metering edge to edge. This does not sound like a type of portrait where you have dozens of lights on set to create dramatic lighting. The difficulty with "feathering" light with a large group is where the shadows fall. If the faces are close together in the group, you need to watch how shadows will cut across the next subject. If you can, a single large (or two large umbrellas close together will become a large source) light source placed well above camera axis is the easiest way to light a moderately large group without worry about cross shadows. 32 is manageable. As the group grows in size, obviously might need to widen the throw/sources but take care to knock shadows down off faces.

Ken

fotografz

I've shot hundreds of large groups ... place two 72" umbrellas with diffusers parallel to the camera at the outer corner of the group angled inward a bit set up very high pointed down so the drop shadows drop down behind the subjects ... and shoot from a step ladder so the subjects are slightly looking up at you. makes it easer to accomplish DOF.

I would not worry about "flat" lighting as opposed to simply lighting the entire group evenly, metering edge to edge. This does not sound like a type of portrait where you have dozens of lights on set to create dramatic lighting. The difficulty with "feathering" light with a large group is where the shadows fall. If the faces are close together in the group, you need to watch how shadows will cut across the next subject. If you can, a single large (or two large umbrellas close together will become a large source) light source placed well above camera axis is the easiest way to light a moderately large group without worry about cross shadows. 32 is manageable. As the group grows in size, obviously might need to widen the throw/sources but take care to knock shadows down off faces.

Ken
This photo dates back to about 1924. The father is John F. Pimentel. He immigrated to America from the Azores through Ellis Island in the first decade of 20th century. His family moved to Fall River, Massachusetts, because the city had a large community of Portuguese immigrants Bill Barbosa Photography. This photo was recently posted by the son of older boy on the left on the Fall River Facebook page. My wife and I are both from Fall River and the little boy in the middle is my father-in-law. He would have around 100-years-old in 2020.
This photo dates back to about 1924. The father is John F. Pimentel. He immigrated to America from the Azores through Ellis Island in the first decade of 20th century. His family moved to Fall River, Massachusetts, because the city had a large community of Portuguese immigrants. This photo was recently posted by the son of older boy on the left on the Fall River Facebook page. My wife and I are both from Fall River and the little boy in the middle is my father-in-law. He would have around 100-years-old in 2020.
IMG_5273.jpeg