Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: portable battery system

Post Thanks / Like

portable battery system

I saw the hensel porty lithuim battery system. quite frankly though a bit lighter it still felt heavy. Also the heads were big. I will wait for broncolor or dynalite which a rep of there's said, when I asked if they were developing a lithuim system said, "we are not allowed to talk about products in development."
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: portable battery system

I shoot with a Comet CBm-1200, it uses 2 NiMH batteries yet still provides 150 or more full power flashes and that goes much higher with lower power. The new Hensels are nice but nothing that is earth shattering using lithium batteries.

I do wish Comet was better represented in the U.S. since Dynalite doesn't put the best effort in advertising, promotion and the Comet website, but does provide decent support on the back end.

Atleast the lithium Hensel packs support full size heads. That's the downfall with some such as Broncolor with the small packs and even smaller heads that are almost pointless with modifiers.

Buy what exists, and use it. Waiting for something in the future is an endless losing game.

jeffrisk

Thats good
    your are too much

manola

The new Hensels are nice but nothing that is earth shattering using lithium batteries.
    sonnerie portable gratuite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like my Elinchrom Rangers.
    Yeah, a bit heavy, but so am I.
    -bob

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I like my Elinchrom Rangers.
    Yeah, a bit heavy, but so am I.

manola

The new Hensels are nice but nothing that is earth shattering using lithium batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not seen anything that suggests the lithium ion batteries more than cost more and maybe weigh in lower. They should have the ability to be charged more total cycles than other batteries, IF the right technology is used in their construction. They are going to deliver the same voltage, but no idea how they handle load for each charge. I was looking into some of this kind of technology with portable tools from companies like Dewalt, Makita, and others. There are significant differences in the battery material construction, but all that does is permit more recharges. Does not deliver any more power or anything like that. Am wondering if the same sort of thing is going on with some of these light kits. Just because they say lithium battery, may not mean much more than higher cost and greater number of recharges....maybe. The rest of the electronics determines how fast the lights recycle. Granted, the reduced weight might be nice, but not if the battery power suffers.

I had DynaLites and ran them off a DynaLite battery power inverter (sealed lead acid), and they worked quite well. Not enough power now to drive my Profoto D4 pack, but there would be enough to drive a couple 500Ws D1s....when I finally get them. I like that all the stuff from the studio kit will work on the portable kit, as some others like Elinchroms will do also.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    If you want lightweight look at the new Elinchrom Quadras.
    We have been testing a few over the last few weeks and they are really very nice, incredibly small for the power and speed they give.

If you need more power than 400Ws the Ranger RX is a great option but takes in a lot more space and is heavier, on the other hand compared to some other brands it's still small

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof View Post
    Hi,
    If you want lightweight look at the new Elinchrom Quadras.
    We have been testing a few over the last few weeks and they are really very nice, incredibly small for the power and speed they give.

If you need more power than 400Ws the Ranger RX is a great option but takes in a lot more space and is heavier, on the other hand compared to some other brands it's still small
    Are the modeling lights continuous and bright enough on these or the same as other portables?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Outside modeling lights are never bright enough.
    However they do have a rather high output for such small units, but I never use them to be honest unless I'm shooting inside.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where in the US can we get them.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Where in the US can we get them.
    Guy, the Ranger Quadra units aren't commercially available yet. All we are hearing as a dealer is "soon". I'd be happy to post availability once we have all the details.

The modeling lights are white LEDs and can be run continuously pretty much all day. I handled these units at Photokina back in September and they are indeed very, very small. I'll dig around and see if I have some pictures from the show.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Over here in europe they are being sold since a week or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy
    Adorama claims to have them.
    David

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got more info.

The Ranger Quadra will be available starting in mid-July. Here are the prices for the kits and links to them on our website. We are taking pre-orders now.

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra 2 x A Head Kit - $2,330

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra 2 x S Head Kit - $2,200

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra A Head To Go Set - $1,560

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra S Head To Go Set - $1,495

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

manola

We are taking pre-orders now.

ddk

Hi,
    Outside modeling lights are never bright enough.
    However they do have a rather high output for such small units, but I never use them to be honest unless I'm shooting inside.
    Thanks Frank, I realize that the modeling lights are useless outdoors but I have indoor shoots in places that have no electricity. I have the Profoto 7B but the modeling lights drive me crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Indoors they work nicely but it will never beat the normal monoheads.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indoors they work nicely but it will never beat the normal monoheads.
    400 w/s is 400 w/s ... these will be the same as most any other 400 w/s unit. The difference between this and 400 w/s units is the Sky Port trigger which allows control of the box from the camera. Pocket Wizard triggered units do not allow this.

They should be fine outside if all you need is 400 w/s total max light output.

The obvious advantage is portability and no need for a power outlet ... which is a major advantage over standard Monos outdoors.

Most battery driven units are quite a bit bigger and a lot heavier. You can use standard monos with a battery unit such as the Hensel Visit... but trust me that is a really big battery and difficult to carry along with big Mono heads unless you have assistants on the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes and i am already using the Skyports so for me this is quite interesting. Little pricey though . But having the small form factor over my Ranger is a plus
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

They do look interesting. Seems like they (elinchrom) realized that folks will want to use modifiers and they are coming out with something to handle that part as the new heads are not able to take many (any?) other Elinchrom modifiers like the Octa and stuff. The heads for these do look compact, and the battery unit appears to be a lot smaller than the Ranger unit, so it could be a much more compact set to cart around.

I agree with Marc, normal monos may do the job quite well for a lot less, but they are not as portable or the added cost/weight of a battery to run them changes things.

LJ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    They do look interesting. Seems like they (elinchrom) realized that folks will want to use modifiers and they are coming out with something to handle that part as the new heads are not able to take many (any?) other Elinchrom modifiers like the Octa and stuff. The heads for these do look compact, and the battery unit appears to be a lot smaller than the Ranger unit, so it could be a much more compact set to cart around.

I agree with Marc, normal monos may do the job quite well for a lot less, but they are not as portable or the added cost/weight of a battery to run them changes things.

LJ
    The largest modifier you can safely use with the adapter is the 39" Octa softbox. Beyond that and modifier weight gets to be too much for the adapter.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    The largest modifier you can safely use with the adapter is the 39" Octa softbox. Beyond that and modifier weight gets to be too much for the adapter.

David
    Understood that part, David. I guess the question becomes just how well they will handle the 39" Octa, which is one of the more popular devices used from Elinchrom. Smaller reflectors and small softboxes or umbrellas should be a piece of cake, but larger softboxes or the bigger Octa are heavier, and can apply too much torque to the mount of the smaller head, hence the need for the special support bracket. Still think it they are very nice units. Very small and quite portable looking.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

@Fotografz,
    I was talking about the modelling lights

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post

David
    Unless it's my 8' Octa which has an integrated mount so all the head/adapter need do is support themselves. The Octa holds the head, not the other way around. 400/ w/s works even on that huge Octa, I've done it before. ... but that defeats the whole portable nature doesn't it?

I'd just use these with 40" umbrellas or bounced.

How long is the cord from box to head? The one shown with the girl holding it looks too short to be able to place the heads apart and up high. Are extensions available?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    There are longer cords available indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Frank , yes I would need at least 10 ft from the pack. Wish this was 800 watts

Post Thanks / Like

Well they have a 1100Ws version for sale ?
    It's called the Ranger RX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I have one of those. Love it too

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm just kidding.
    I think both are perfect combined in ones toolkit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My thoughts exactly Frank. Nice to have both setups with you on location

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mmmm... Quadras looks pretty interesting. Now I need to find out what kind of deal my local Elinchrom guy can get me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yah. I want it badly. GAS....

Post Thanks / Like

I think Frank's last post was referring to the modeling lights on the Quadras vs. a mains-powered unit.

Question - how many Ranger/Quadra, etc users run with an asymmetric pack vs say two symmetric packs for more output control? Just doing some research on the packs and fixed-ratio asymmetric power output just seems like a PITA. What am I missing?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I think Frank's last post was referring to the modeling lights on the Quadras vs. a mains-powered unit.

Question - how many Ranger/Quadra, etc users run with an asymmetric pack vs say two symmetric packs for more output control? Just doing some research on the packs and fixed-ratio asymmetric power output just seems like a PITA. What am I missing?
    I would think that the idea of these is "small and portable" ... a step better than Quantums and a bunch of on-camera flashes used off camera on stands (like I use now for a set-up that I can quickly manage by myself.) I see them as a more modern replacement for Lumidynes/Normans, and the like.

Comparing them to standard packs, or more powerful battery packs, is comparing apples and watermelons.

Not to say that two units wouldn't provide more control ... but if that were the objective I'd probably go for 2 Profoto 600Bs which only have one outlet. I sold my 600B precisely because it only had one outlet. I'd rather have this set-up for that kind of portable, supplemental work ... as long as longer extension cords for the heads are available. Otherwise I'd use my Hensel 1200 w/s Porty.

Modeling lights are power drainers on battery powered portable units ... not many provide much in the way of modeling lights even on the bigger units. 50 watt bulbs rather than 200 watts is common.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My only complaint about Profoto B's is they are not weatherproofed at all --- a tiny bit of overspray or drizzle on top then snap, crackle, pop and they're DOA... LOVE Profoto lights, modifiers and heads, but went with the Rangers when I needed a battery unit. If money were no object, I'd have a set of Profoto heads wired up for my Ranger packs -- now that would be ideal!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

Thanks. Doing some more research and I can see the attraction of the A system - ability to use 2 lights at 2:1 ratio, 1 light at higher power range or 1 light with lower power range (min and max).

Am I correct in recalling (I think) that the cabling of these systems normally taxes the output by out 1 stop vs. a similar WS studio strobe?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Marc,

Thanks. Doing some more research and I can see the attraction of the A system - ability to use 2 lights at 2:1 ratio, 1 light at higher power range or 1 light with lower power range (min and max).

Am I correct in recalling (I think) that the cabling of these systems normally taxes the output by out 1 stop vs. a similar WS studio strobe?
    That's a good question. I use a 30' extention on the Hensel Porty and have never noticed that happening ... but then, I wasn't looking for it either.

I just got off the phone with Gary at Paramount cords, and am trying to rig up two Metz Potato Mashers for stand use (a bit more juice that the SB900s or Sony flashes at weddings). Metz's off-camera system is a bit confusing ... and it isn't easy to figure out how to mount them on stands with umbrellas.

Anything to keep from spending more money right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious - thought I'd read somewhere that the resistance of the long leads (vs a studio unit) between the capacitor circuits and the tube rob a bit of power.

That said, fretting about an extra stop (if even true) when you're getting 1100-1200 WS out of a weather resistant, remotely controlled remote pack with todays (uber clean) ISO capabilities would be simply finding something to complain about.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on why you use it.
    When you want to fight the sun, every stop you can squeeze out of a pack is of vital importance. That's why we use the maxispots at the moment that give an ENOURMOUS lightoutput.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you want to fight the sun, every stop you can squeeze out of a pack is of vital importance. That's why we use the maxispots at the moment that give an ENOURMOUS lightoutput.
    What is a "Maxispot" Frank?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point

Maxispot - me thinks the Elinchrom maxispot long/narrow-throw 29 deg polished surface reflector. Literature claims you can gain a spot (narrow throw
    of course). Looks like a slightly longer, 'choked' (at lip to get 29 deg) polished version of the 50 deg long-throw unit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lector_29.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    What is a "Maxispot" Frank?
    Marc,

I'm not Frank, but I'll answer anyway .

It is a focused reflector that is perfect for pushing a lot of light to one area when you need to, and is way more portable than an optical spot head. It's kind of like a Profoto Magnum, only tighter and brighter:
    http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=94

Duh, just saw Rob's post above...

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

see the two above
    Sorry I was on location today so I just saw it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the info from Elinchrom, like with the BD's and color effecting the degree spread of light (white being wider), it's the polished vs. textured silver surface of the MS that tightens the spread - not a choked front lip (the way I thought it appeared in some pics).

What's also interesting is that according to Elinchrom (see Jack's link), moving from the small to large silver BD has a notable effect on light spread 55 deg to 64 deg but not so in white - 80 deg to 82.

Cool - shows the notable difference color/degree of polish the interior of a reflector can make to light spread.
    Last edited by robmac; 8th July 2009 at 09:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sidebar note for Elinchrom: Note that with Elinchrom, the Beauty Dish style deflectors mount in the umbrella hole, so you can use them to tune the light pattern with *ANY* reflector . The kit includes two mount posts, a silver and a gold deflector, and then it is very easy to mount any homemade one on a post too -- like a translucent or white tupperware lid... (hehehe)

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have a 53" octa with the deflectors enroute to go with my 70x70, so looking fwd to seeing it in action.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Marc,

I'm not Frank, but I'll answer anyway .

It is a focused reflector that is perfect for pushing a lot of light to one area when you need to, and is way more portable than an optical spot head. It's kind of like a Profoto Magnum, only tighter and brighter:
    http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=94

Duh, just saw Rob's post above...

Cheers,
    Thanks Rob and Jack. That part I kinda knew ... I thought there was something new in lights or something ... not just the modifier.

Lizabell

Hi
    If you need lighter battery check Sony for this purpose.