The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help needed with Nikon SB-800 Flash

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm in serious head-scratching mode. When I depress the shutter to make the capture, my SB-800 fires off about 3 pre-flashes before finally flashing again while the shutter activates. It's a tremendous lag and I know it's a wrong setting somewhere, I just can't figure it out. Not to mention I lost the manual (or maybe I burned it, the thing was an evil, toxic thing) so I don't have a lot of reference. Can someone please point out the simple-but-overlooked-and-totally-humiliating reason for this behavior?

Thanks!
Tim

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I went ahead and tried your suggestion Bob, but it turns out that the problem was a setting I inadvertently made on the camera body. The D2Xs has a rectangle on the top LCD and by depressing the flash lightning bolt symbol on the left top of camera, you can manipulate a few of the flash settings right from there. I had it set to "red eye reduction". When I took it off that it was fine. With that left on, I got triple pre-flashes no matter what the mode setting was. Thanks for the response though.