Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mamiya ZDB digital back - anyone using?

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mamiya ZDB digital back - anyone using?

The focus confirmation has worked quite well for me with non-electronic lenses. (AFDII body though.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One could also ask why Phase One still after one year does not support live view on their newest back or Live View with ANY back on a windows workstation. God bless that I don't need it, otherwise i would have....., well you get the idea ;-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Live view has long been a topic of discussion of conversation for medium format backs and centers around the different usage of sensors from those normally found in 35mm cameras that offer live view.

I might be in the minority however I hope manufactures never change sensor types as that is what helps give medium format in my opinion "the look" that is much better than 35mm and one of the things that made be switch platforms for my landscape work.

We've also got a 1DsIII that offers live view and other than see what it looked like right out of the box it's never been used.

Bottom line and this again is just my 2Ę worth - we'd be giving up too much of what helped motivated the move to MF should the sensors be changed just for the sake of live view.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Same from my side, I use MF digital because of the unique qualities it offers over 35mm and life view is something which I so far never used other than playing around.

So please no tricky changes in MF to make life view happen and compromise IQ.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Same from my side, I use MF digital
    Ah, so you finally bought! What did you get?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve no other excuse for this other than weíve been without air conditioning for over a week and as anyone familiar with the Tucson area in September it just isnít a great idea. The upside is that weíve had several technicians/installers working of gutting and installing the needed parts. And now for the real reason of this postÖ

I posted a response earlier today addressing my thoughts on live view with MF. I thought that Iíd add a couple thoughts to that earlier post; again this is all my opinion so that it with a grain of salt.

While live view would indeed be a nice thing to have I think it also would present several problems. The current size of the screens are in my opinion much too small to give an adequate detail that Iíd be looking for regarding critical focus; Iím uncertain that given the screen size of say a 1DsIII (which I believe is near sports bar size when compared to my 1DsII) is even large enough. Then thereís the power and heat concerns that a larger screen might process. A larger screen may very well cause more heat as well as a shorter power life for the battery. Lets not forget the added noise from the added heat.

Iíll admit that it would be nice to have live view so that I could work better or smarter with my WRS; heck maybe thereíd be no need for a viewfinder or groundglass!

I donít believe based on what Iíve read regarding the sensor differences that we can expect to see live view any time soon; besides there has to be other improvements made to even make live view functional such as a larger screen. Again I do not want live view if it comes at the expense of the image quality Iíve become accustomed to.

On a slightly different side note, Iíve just resurrected an old Dell XPS M1210 sub-notebook I had sitting in my equipment locker. Dual core, SSD drive 4 USB ports and firewire, loaded with C1 Pro 4.0. I plan on taking this out for a test spin shortly tethered to the WRS/P45+ to see how much of a PIA itíll be to actually this in the field.

Okay Iím officially done flogging

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ