Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mamiya ZDB digital back - anyone using?

rastas

Mamiya ZDB digital back - anyone using?

I don't get it. These backs are ridiculously cheap (comparitively) to other MFDBs, but I can't find any reviews from anyone on the internet. They shoot 1.2 frames per second, and have a sensor the size of a P45plus.

Anyone in the world using one of these??

tetsrfun

Re: Mamiya ZDB digital back - anyone using?

Here is a review of the ZD system, I couldn't find a review of the newer ZDB.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../zd-late.shtml

Steve

tetsrfun

I don't get it. These backs are ridiculously cheap...
    Selling new at B&H for $3,700.

Steve

tetsrfun

I wonder what the down-side is? A used 645AFD body in ex condition run $5-600.

Steve

K3N

Is there any way to mount this back to a Hasselblad 503? Through adapters?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    I don't get it. These backs are ridiculously cheap...
    Selling new at B&H for $3,700.

Steve
    Perhaps do a search of ZD on LL. There have been more than I who experienced problems...

As example, perhaps verify if they ever fixed this http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...1&#entry169941

I do not know of that they have. It seems frankly that Mamiya rather stuck their head in sand on this, contrary to honest business. The ZDb is only updated buffer.

The Mamiya badged Phase One backs seem more adviseable... I think I read made by Phase One. Refurbished sensors in them by chance???? Bound to be more solid still I would assume. I am one of many who have sold their ZD, just do search on Luminous Landscape.

This and linked post only to inform you, from honesty.

Regards
    Anders

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can search here as well. Jack and I both owned them as well as Jim.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

rastas

There is not one reference in this website to a ZDb back, only the older ZD backs.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone confirm this back will work on the AFD? There seems to conflicting information....many places it says it is compatible with the II and III models, but doesn't list the original model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastas View Post
    There is not one reference in this website to a ZDb back, only the older ZD backs.

My understanding was that the primary (only?) difference between the ZD and the ZDb was that the continuous shooting was improved from around 11 frames to around 20. Hence the "b" for buffer in the naming.

I only sold one Mamiya ZD ever (cautioned against it) and the customer sold it shortly after they purchased. It seems to me that stretching your dollars a little to get a P25 or an Aptus 22 is a better way to go. We have units starting at upper $6K...

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    Is there any way to mount this back to a Hasselblad 503? Through adapters?
    From my limited research, it's Mamiya only. For a 503, a used Phase or CFV might be close in price to the ZDb.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From my limited research, it's Mamiya only. For a 503, a used Phase or CFV might be close in price to the ZDb.

Steve

You should be able to use the Hasselblad lenses with the Mamiya/Hasselblad Multi-Mount Adapter.

Steve Hendrix

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    You should be able to use the Hasselblad lenses with the Mamiya/Hasselblad Multi-Mount Adapter.

Steve Hendrix
    i think we are going into the "weeds". :>) I don't think that there are adapters for the ZDB to be fitted to a "V" series B'lad or other non-Mamiya body.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i think we are going into the "weeds". :>) I don't think that there are adapters for the ZDB to be fitted to a "V" series B'lad or other non-Mamiya body.

Steve

No, but there is an adapter for the Mamiya body that will accept Hasselblad V lenses. Usually the point of going on another body is to utilize that bodies lenses, not the body itself, except in the case of moving to an auto focus camera body from a manual focus body. For many, migrating to a Mamiya (or Phase One) camera from V series system makes sense because if they're old enough to own a Hasselblad V series, their eyes are often not making a comeback and so the auto focus is a benefit, yet they can still use their Hasselblad glass.

Steve Hendrix

tetsrfun

because if they're old enough to own a Hasselblad V series, their eyes are often not making a comeback
    That is the truth. :>) My solution was to get a used HC-3 Prism which has 4x magnification.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I have one..

i use is quite a bit and the files are awesome. I also use a P25+/P30+.

it's cheaper because of the following..

1. It's slower, solwer to process, slower to preview the shot eyc.. just slower (often not a bad thing).
    2. It's files are converted to 14 bit MEF files not 16 bit, however they are great MFDB files and no editor here in NYC can tell which DB I shot on.
    3. Screen is [email protected] totally [email protected] but hey you all knew that.

I think the backs are a steal and a great 'in' into MFDB also a great back up, We were shooting a fashion spread recently out on the saltflats in Utah, the P30+ packed up (ultimately a battery problem) but the mamiya back worked and worked and worked, so much so that i used it on my 'day off' down in Bryce canyon..

Fashion images here (recent 1) http://www.stevebrickles.com Bryce stuff here (Utah) http://www.brickles.org

Buying a Leaf Aptus 22 or a P25 gives you 'in the real world' a faster back to work with, with industry standard file types and ..'slightly' better files but that's picking hairs and is a whole different debate.

A new Mamiya back at $3700 is a deal... but so is a SH back from Steve at $7000... BUT if you've only got $3700 .......

S

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dogstarnyc View Post
    Buying a Leaf Aptus 22 or a P25 gives you 'in the real world' a faster back to work with, with industry standard file types and ..'slightly' better files but that's picking hairs and is a whole different debate.
    I would just point out here that the P25 and ZD files are very similar only when:
    - shooting at the lowest ISO
    - the exposure is spot on (no adjustment - aka "push" or "pull" in post)
    - the WB is not adjusted far from native response
    - the exposure is short (less than several seconds)

In those conditions the quality is pretty great. In fact a good part of my college portfolio was shot on a Mamiya ZD.

When any of the above is not true the differences become pretty significant. This is not to say the ZD is "bad" in those conditions, only that head to head with the Phase the difference is night and day.

The responsiveness of the back is also quite slow (everything from capture to reviewing to setting menu options), as indicated above.

Those may or may not be deal breakers for you.

I would also suggest very strongly that you not buy a used ZD unless you have the opportunity to return it if you find it not-to-your-liking for any reason. In fairness I would suggest the same of ANY item in this price range, but particularly here because the ZD had some major issues for a good duration of it's production and those backs are more likely to show up in the used market.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Post Thanks / Like

Doug has come up with a couple of points that are 'spot on..'

I never considered the higher ISO or longer exposure points ... because i never use them but they are very valid points.

Also, as with all digital exposures now, you should expose spot on or slightly hot to avoid noise.

i didn't mention the eposure point because let's face it, if you are buying into MFDB's it's for superb image quality and that MF look... You should be able to get your exposures pretty close.

I set my colour temp to 5300K and use a McBeth colour chart also. One other thing, earlier versions of Lightroom gave MEF files a green cast, the latest version does a very very good job straight out of the box.

Also, a ZD back is a totally different animal to the Mamiya ZD camera.

As for early backs with issues, I think backs earlier than a 'G' on their serial numbers had earlier firmware and weren't quite right, anything 'GA' onwards are ok I think.

Hope this helps..

S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bottom line for me was the Zd back was nice and for two or three months a nice intro to MF but I switched to the P25+ back because it was very slow in every category I needed the speed. If you do NOT have those type of requirements and can deal with the backs limitations it is a great image maker but on the same hand if money is the issue than I would try and stretch for at least a P21 instead. It would be the smarter buy since you would not feel those limits as bad. For me I need the high ISO and 800 is mandatory.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bottom line for me was the Zd back was nice and for two or three months a nice intro to MF but I switched to the P25+ back because it was very slow in every category I needed the speed. If you do NOT have those type of requirements and can deal with the backs limitations it is a great image maker but on the same hand if money is the issue than I would try and stretch for at least a P21 instead. It would be the smarter buy since you would not feel those limits as bad. For me I need the high ISO and 800 is mandatory.
    Agreed. Owned a ZD back. Loved the files when the db worked. Too many issues (well documented here), returned to Mamiya, they sent me a warranty replacement. That worked fine for about 1 month. More problems. Returned it to Mamiya. They told me that they'd offer me a ZDb when they came out, but frankly couldn't guarantee that I'd get a good copy (glowing endorsement from them, eh?) so instead they 'upgraded' me (with some extra cash outlay on my part) to a Aptus II 6 digital back. Love it.

Phew.

If you've only got $3700, I'd say, save for 6 more months.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am not as experienced with MF as most guys around here.
    Before I got my Sinar back I have used a ZD (not back-integrated camera) for some weeks.
    I felt I could clearly see the difference/advantage of the ZD-files compared to DLSR-files, but not really when moving from the ZD to the Sinar back - besides at higher ISO.
    I agree regarding the display of the ZD being crap.
    Other than that I believe the ZD has been a great idea (pretty much a plastic-S2 with a larger sensor)
    If they would have offered a ZD with good display and better usable high ISO I think it would be a great camera.
    Of course "ZD(-back)" it is not as "cool" as a Hassy or Phase or Sinar or Leaf

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I am not as experienced with MF as most guys around here.
    Before I got my Sinar back I have used a ZD (not back-integrated camera) for some weeks.
    I felt I could clearly see the difference/advantage of the ZD-files compared to DLSR-files, but not really when moving from the ZD to the Sinar back - besides at higher ISO.
    I agree regarding the display of the ZD being crap.
    Other than that I believe the ZD has been a great idea (pretty much a plastic-S2 with a larger sensor)
    If they would have offered a ZD with good display and better usable high ISO I think it would be a great camera.
    Of course "ZD(-back)" it is not as "cool" as a Hassy or Phase or Sinar or Leaf
    I think that about sums it up. The ZD was a brave attempt by Mamiya to grab a slice of the MF market. I have owned a ZD camera for several years. I feel inclined to stick up for it, because it was a pioneering design let down by a very poor rear screen display but excellent image quality at low ISO.

What Mamiya should have done is bring out a digital back early on and leverage their installed user base of loyal MF camera owners. Still, while I now use the ZD but rarely, it still handles very well and has some nice touches, like the very simple mirror lock up function. Nice camera, same about the screen.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my ZD back, but I only ever shoot at low ISO, don't really care much about the screen as long as it's big and clear enough to read a histogram, and my subjects aren't fast moving so the occasional glitch isn't a big deal. The image quality is excellent - unbelievably good for the price. Sure, I wouldn't say no to the features of a higher-end product, but not enough to plunk down thousands of dollars. If my uses were different I'd probably feel very differently, so caveat emptor. It's a great product for a serious hobbyist like me, but I doubt I'd want it for daily work use, except perhaps as an inexpensive backup.

Post Thanks / Like

3,700 usd might seem a sweet deal over a capable 22MP back at 7,000 usd,however it might also mean loosing maybe 2,000 usd when replacing it with another 22MP back within a year... then what is savings as compared to have a respectable tool from start?

The ZD has a problem as nature of the design, and there has been nil put fourth of that Mamiya ever fixed it. perhaps it was too difficult to fix... Do read the link I posted and understand this and the limitation of ZD. The ZD need lots of light. If in studio and images captured using plenty of light you might be ok. Forget high ISO, ISO 50 is best. If for landscapes at early morning with light bright in frame, same time as darkest shadows you will be disappointed and sell it fast. A P25 or Aptus 22 do not have those problems. The Aptus 22 even has the same sensor from Dalsa but Leaf worked out the hardware and internal software parts properly.

Now that Mamiya launched their Phase One backs... must be clear that ZD is a gonner, for good reason... indeed unfortunate because the ZD was a good idea, if only Mamiya would have designed it proper.

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very well balanced reporting here . Everyone hit it dead on the money on the ZD. Where was this when I bought mine.

Seriously the last 8 posts or so are just perfect.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Curious, has anyone removed the filter and shot this in IR mode?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post

Don
    Uh, oh. You just converted the 1Ds Mark II to IR only one week....and now the gears are turning and the lights and bells are going off-- for doing IR on your Cambo RS.....

I'm telling Sandy....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Uh, oh. You just converted the 1Ds Mark II to IR only one week....and now the gears are turning and the lights and bells are going off-- for doing IR on your Cambo RS.....

I'm telling Sandy....

No fair! Why do I feel blackmail coming?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don
    Did not Jim Cullum and Jack both do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes they did actually

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to see how the images compare to my 665nm filter 1DsII; the only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner. Now based on my experience I'd like to see what I could achieve in MF without busting the bank.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice to have a "pocket size" back that takes the same batteries.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don
    Physically, a ZD camera would be an excellent choice for IR because the IR filter is a user-removable cartridge. The IR filter slides out using a cartridge like housing. A mechanism in the housing clicks onto the IR filter and then slides out and is stored in the cartridge. The process is pretty easy, but definitely something I do at home, not in the field. I don't shoot IR, so I'm not sure how the camera would actually do.

An upside to the IR filter ahead of the sensor is that it creates a gap between the sensor and filter. When dust lands on the IR filter, it doesn't show up in the images unless it's a big, big chunk of a dust. In one year of shooting with many, many lens changes and ~5k clicks, I've cleaned the filter once. I've never had to clean the sensor.

If Mamiya (or Phase One) updated the ZD with a P40+ sensor, a newer rear LCD display and priced it around it under $12k (ha ha ha), they would have a S2 killer for sure. The Mrs. using her snap-shot camera a couple weeks ago

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So - does anyone want to share an IR image taken with a ZD?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    If Mamiya (or Phase One) updated the ZD with a P40+ sensor, a newer rear LCD display and priced it around it under $12k (ha ha ha), they would have a S2 killer for sure. The Mrs. using her snap-shot camera a couple weeks ago
    Wow, the ZD used as a street shooter's tool?...brave

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

K3N

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Thats a great idea and I would really like to see such a camera.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been following this thread with quite the interest .....

My main interest for a MF camera is studio, artistic nude. Right now, I'm using a D300/Contax G1/Polaroaid 4X5/Fuji 645, and I'm getting some pretty interesting results.

I really beleive the film vs digital debate from the quality view is over .... however, there is the economics view .... I can shoot/develop a lot of 4X5 film from the polaroid ( either fujiroid/Velvia/TriX) before I have dented the cost of a MF back.

Keeping in mind that this is my hobby, I have a few MF choices ....

16 meg Square back + Hasselblad V around 3.5 K
    Shoots with an image bank, and crops )

Mamiya ZDB
    22 meg, shoots to CF, minimal crop, some, but from all I have read if does not "cost" the MF look
    About 4.5K ...

Sony .... for me a non starter, while the same number of pixels, I really don't think a SLR = MF ( I am a Nikon shooter, so same for D700)

Or Mamiya + P25 at least 7K ......

For my hobby, 4.5K is a stretch, but if I forgo a M8, and feed the kids top ramen for a few months, it could work ..... the phase will not happen for at least an other 2 years ....

So, would it be better to keep shooting film or to get a ZDB? I hear an storong message in this thread that says, for the pros, its simple, don't do it, but there is that undertone, that says, hey, this is my hobby, a few lockups here and there, the occasional ruined shot, and a reboot every so often, is just the price you pay for being cheap. When the planets align well, which the often do, the images are great.

I shoot in the studio with a converted polaroid and a grafmatic back, the idiot errors that I make on that rig have my keeper rate somewhere near the 60% mark, can a ZDB really be worse that that?

any comments apprecieated

Dave

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should add to your list an H20 (16 megapixel square) or H25 (rectangular 22 megapixels) from Phase One. These are studio-only (no LCD and must tether) but offer the same sensor as the P20+ and P25+ respectively. They mount to either a Hassy 500 body or a Mamiya RZ Pro II (non D).

You can tether and process with Capture One DB (included for free with the back) which is rock solid and very highly regarded here and in the greater marketplace.

Excellent image quality, no lockups, no fuss, excellent future upgradability (since you'll already know Capture One) and can be integrated into the same workflow as Canon/Nikon/Leica (because Capture One works with all of them - and indeed is the preferred software for many users of those cameras).

We have an H25 on our website for $4400; you'd have to ask one of the sales guys (Steve/Chris/Dave) what the going rate for an H20 is. http://www.captureintegration.com/20...ring-cleaning/

That price includes all the accessories you need to tether to a standard mac.

I'm a pretty enthusiastic nude shooter as well. If you wanted to fly to Miami or Atlanta I'll even set up a test shoot for you in our studio with one of my models. (some of my work)
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 15th September 2009 at 08:35.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post

I'm a pretty enthusiastic nude shooter as well.

Doug - are you speaking of yourself or your work?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

You should add to your list an H20 (16 megapixel square) or H25 (rectangular 22 megapixels) from Phase One. These are studio-only (no LCD and must tether) but offer the same sensor as the P20+ and P25+ respectively. They mount to either a Hassy 500 body or a Mamiya RZ Pro II (non D).

Excellent image quality, no lockups, no fuss, excellent future upgradability (since you'll already know Capture One) and can be integrated into the same workflow as Canon/Nikon/Leica (because Capture One works with all of them - and indeed is the preferred software for many users of those cameras).

We have an H25 on our website for $4400;
    Doug,

So in short, comparing the ZDb vs. the H25, what are the differences?

Less crop factor on the H25? Same resolution but bigger sensor?

H25 has better ISO performance? A better sensor than the Dalsa 11mp on the H10? I find the H10 to have similar performance to what the ZDb is described as....not really worth using over ISO100.

So, you pay an extra $700 for the H25 and gain higher ISO performance, but have to use it in the studio where ironically high ISO won't do you much good?

And was the H25 ever made in Mamiya 645AFD mount?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by gsking; 15th September 2009 at 11:01.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gsking View Post
    Doug,

So in short, comparing the ZDb vs. the H25, what are the differences?

Less crop factor on the H25? Same resolution but bigger sensor?

H25 has better ISO performance? A better sensor than the Dalsa 11mp on the H10? I find the H10 to have similar performance to what the ZDb is described as....not really worth using over ISO100.

So, you pay an extra $700 for the H25 and gain higher ISO performance, but have to use it in the studio where ironically high ISO won't do you much good?

And was the H25 ever made in Mamiya 645AFD mount?
    Absolutely not; the high ISO on the H25 is terrible (not any worse than the ZD, but still not useful to use at more than 100/200).

The sensor is the same size as the ZD.

It was only ever made in a Hassy/RZ mount.

The electronics and overall image quality are a full step ahead of the H10 - that was a big generational leap.

You lose
    - an LCD and portable shooting
    - the Mamiya 645 AFD Mount (no autofocus - bummer)
    - on camera menus (not important in the studio)
    - on camera histogram (nice in the studio - though not as nice a tethered histogram)

You get
    - the hassy V mount (also Mamiya RZ pro II non D)
    - direct Capture One tethered workflow
    - an extremely hearty and field-tested camera which does not have many pages of threads complaining of strange artifacts, sensor errors, or other product problems
    - absolutely rock solid build quality with zero moving parts, all metal chassis, and a very large installed base proving extreme longevity
    - a 6 month warranty
    - true 16 bit A/D converter. When increasing the contrast of your images (as I do in my nude images) the smoothness of the final product relies heavily on smooth gradations in the original file. The H25 will have this in spades.

Do NOT underestimate the importance of the tethered workflow when shooting in the studio. The software (features/speed/stability) are all absolutely positively first rate with an H25. Capture One suppots the ZD files, but not a direct tethered workflow - and direct tethering is always preferable to hot-folders (faster, more stable, more full featured).

In short, if you would use the back both in the field and the studio the ZD would be a much better choice. Since you're exclusively talking about (as I read it) shooting in the studio I would go with the H25. However, I'm very (and openly) biased towards Phase products.

The best possible thing you could do is get each product in your hand to see what it really means to setup, shoot, adjust, process, and deliver files from each system.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gsking View Post
    So, you pay an extra $700 for the H25
    The market tends to price used equipment pretty efficiently. The market is telling you that despite the lack of an LCD or portable shooting that the H25 is still a more sought after back.

It's whispering in your ear like a jealous lover.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

Ha ha, thanks for the info. Glad I won't have to look for an H25, then...since it doesn't exist for my camera.

And although the Zdb would be definitely more suitable for my use (rarely any studio), I've ironically got enough performance out of my H10. I don't need more resolution and the image quality is outstanding. And I've made it portable.

I agree the Capture One software is very impressive. It's got more horsepower than I know how to use.

I'd add that for use ONLY in the field, ANY DSLR would be better for my purposes...but that would take the fun out of using the MFDB and all the hassles. I liken it to shooting film (no feedback, etc)...but with lower cost and no scanning hassles.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

It's whispering in your ear like a jealous lover.
    ...and all this coming from "an enthusiastic nude shooter" too.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey no streaking allowed on the forum. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Incidentally why doesn't Cspture One support tethered shooting for the ZD and ZD back? Given the tie-up between Mamiya and Phase, I would have expected support to be added. C1 does suport some DSLR tethered capture. Of course Mamiya provide their own Digital Photo Studio tethered capture dsoftware but its not the greatest.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Shelby Lewis

Do NOT underestimate the importance of the tethered workflow when shooting in the studio.
    As someone who shot their first medium format digital back last night... i have to absolutely agree. I've never experienced something so empowering or helpful as tethering to c1. I've never tethered anything but a few large mouth bass and maybe a dog. I was trying out an h1 with a p30+ and later a phase body. I've been really interested in the 80mm and the 120 macro from both manufacturers, and the ability to compare on screen during a shoot was great.

I was also able to quickly check if I was able to manual focus (something I've never had to do in 35mm)...and found out I was good to go at close distance. Not so good at further distance.

For me... it was all about the wealth of data (image quality, color, etc...) at my fingertips that no 3" OLED screen could offer.

Cool...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The power of MF. Hard to beat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I recall correctly, use of a Zeiss manual focus lens on a Mamiya 645 AF body provides focus confirmation in the viewfinder. Please corrected me if my memory is faulty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    If I recall correctly, use of a Zeiss manual focus lens on a Mamiya 645 AF body provides focus confirmation in the viewfinder. Please corrected me if my memory is faulty.
    The 645AF focus confirmation requires no electrical contact from the lens (unlike the smug Sony system ).

So, yeah, I conclude it would work with any manual focus lens as well as it does with the Mamiya manual focus lenses.