The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZDB digital back - anyone using?

R

rastas

I don't get it. These backs are ridiculously cheap (comparitively) to other MFDBs, but I can't find any reviews from anyone on the internet. They shoot 1.2 frames per second, and have a sensor the size of a P45plus.

Anyone in the world using one of these??

T

tetsrfun

I don't get it. These backs are ridiculously cheap...
Selling new at B&H for $3,700.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

I wonder what the down-side is? A used 645AFD body in ex condition run $5-600.

Steve

K

K3N

Is there any way to mount this back to a Hasselblad 503? Through adapters?

Anders_HK

I don't get it. These backs are ridiculously cheap...
Selling new at B&H for $3,700.

Steve
Perhaps do a search of ZD on LL. There have been more than I who experienced problems...

As example, perhaps verify if they ever fixed this http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22698&start=0&p=169941&#entry169941

I do not know of that they have. It seems frankly that Mamiya rather stuck their head in sand on this, contrary to honest business. The ZDb is only updated buffer.

The Mamiya badged Phase One backs seem more adviseable... I think I read made by Phase One. Refurbished sensors in them by chance???? Bound to be more solid still I would assume. I am one of many who have sold their ZD, just do search on Luminous Landscape.

This and linked post only to inform you, from honesty. :angel:

Regards
Anders

R

rastas

There is not one reference in this website to a ZDb back, only the older ZD backs.

gsking

Can anyone confirm this back will work on the AFD? There seems to conflicting information....many places it says it is compatible with the II and III models, but doesn't list the original model.

Steve Hendrix

There is not one reference in this website to a ZDb back, only the older ZD backs.

My understanding was that the primary (only?) difference between the ZD and the ZDb was that the continuous shooting was improved from around 11 frames to around 20. Hence the "b" for buffer in the naming.

I only sold one Mamiya ZD ever (cautioned against it) and the customer sold it shortly after they purchased. It seems to me that stretching your dollars a little to get a P25 or an Aptus 22 is a better way to go. We have units starting at upper $6K...

Steve Hendrix

T

tetsrfun

Is there any way to mount this back to a Hasselblad 503? Through adapters?
From my limited research, it's Mamiya only. For a 503, a used Phase or CFV might be close in price to the ZDb.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

You should be able to use the Hasselblad lenses with the Mamiya/Hasselblad Multi-Mount Adapter.

Steve Hendrix
i think we are going into the "weeds". :>) I don't think that there are adapters for the ZDB to be fitted to a "V" series B'lad or other non-Mamiya body.

Steve

Steve Hendrix

i think we are going into the "weeds". :>) I don't think that there are adapters for the ZDB to be fitted to a "V" series B'lad or other non-Mamiya body.

Steve

No, but there is an adapter for the Mamiya body that will accept Hasselblad V lenses. Usually the point of going on another body is to utilize that bodies lenses, not the body itself, except in the case of moving to an auto focus camera body from a manual focus body. For many, migrating to a Mamiya (or Phase One) camera from V series system makes sense because if they're old enough :rolleyes: to own a Hasselblad V series, their eyes are often not making a comeback and so the auto focus is a benefit, yet they can still use their Hasselblad glass.

Steve Hendrix

T

tetsrfun

because if they're old enough to own a Hasselblad V series, their eyes are often not making a comeback
That is the truth. :>) My solution was to get a used HC-3 Prism which has 4x magnification.

Steve

dogstarnyc

I have one..

i use is quite a bit and the files are awesome. I also use a P25+/P30+.

it's cheaper because of the following..

1. It's slower, solwer to process, slower to preview the shot eyc.. just slower (often not a bad thing).
2. It's files are converted to 14 bit MEF files not 16 bit, however they are great MFDB files and no editor here in NYC can tell which DB I shot on.
3. Screen is cr@p totally cr@p but hey you all knew that.

I think the backs are a steal and a great 'in' into MFDB also a great back up, We were shooting a fashion spread recently out on the saltflats in Utah, the P30+ packed up (ultimately a battery problem) but the mamiya back worked and worked and worked, so much so that i used it on my 'day off' down in Bryce canyon..

Fashion images here (recent 1) http://www.stevebrickles.com Bryce stuff here (Utah) http://www.brickles.org

Buying a Leaf Aptus 22 or a P25 gives you 'in the real world' a faster back to work with, with industry standard file types and ..'slightly' better files but that's picking hairs and is a whole different debate.

A new Mamiya back at $3700 is a deal... but so is a SH back from Steve at $7000... BUT if you've only got $3700 .......

S

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Buying a Leaf Aptus 22 or a P25 gives you 'in the real world' a faster back to work with, with industry standard file types and ..'slightly' better files but that's picking hairs and is a whole different debate.
I would just point out here that the P25 and ZD files are very similar only when:
- shooting at the lowest ISO
- the exposure is spot on (no adjustment - aka "push" or "pull" in post)
- the WB is not adjusted far from native response
- the exposure is short (less than several seconds)

In those conditions the quality is pretty great. In fact a good part of my college portfolio was shot on a Mamiya ZD.

When any of the above is not true the differences become pretty significant. This is not to say the ZD is "bad" in those conditions, only that head to head with the Phase the difference is night and day.

The responsiveness of the back is also quite slow (everything from capture to reviewing to setting menu options), as indicated above.

Those may or may not be deal breakers for you.

I would also suggest very strongly that you not buy a used ZD unless you have the opportunity to return it if you find it not-to-your-liking for any reason. In fairness I would suggest the same of ANY item in this price range, but particularly here because the ZD had some major issues for a good duration of it's production and those backs are more likely to show up in the used market.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

dogstarnyc

Doug has come up with a couple of points that are 'spot on..'

I never considered the higher ISO or longer exposure points ... because i never use them but they are very valid points.

Also, as with all digital exposures now, you should expose spot on or slightly hot to avoid noise.

i didn't mention the eposure point because let's face it, if you are buying into MFDB's it's for superb image quality and that MF look... You should be able to get your exposures pretty close.

I set my colour temp to 5300K and use a McBeth colour chart also. One other thing, earlier versions of Lightroom gave MEF files a green cast, the latest version does a very very good job straight out of the box.

Also, a ZD back is a totally different animal to the Mamiya ZD camera.

As for early backs with issues, I think backs earlier than a 'G' on their serial numbers had earlier firmware and weren't quite right, anything 'GA' onwards are ok I think.

Hope this helps..

S

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line for me was the Zd back was nice and for two or three months a nice intro to MF but I switched to the P25+ back because it was very slow in every category I needed the speed. If you do NOT have those type of requirements and can deal with the backs limitations it is a great image maker but on the same hand if money is the issue than I would try and stretch for at least a P21 instead. It would be the smarter buy since you would not feel those limits as bad. For me I need the high ISO and 800 is mandatory.

jdbfreeheel

Bottom line for me was the Zd back was nice and for two or three months a nice intro to MF but I switched to the P25+ back because it was very slow in every category I needed the speed. If you do NOT have those type of requirements and can deal with the backs limitations it is a great image maker but on the same hand if money is the issue than I would try and stretch for at least a P21 instead. It would be the smarter buy since you would not feel those limits as bad. For me I need the high ISO and 800 is mandatory.
Agreed. Owned a ZD back. Loved the files when the db worked. Too many issues (well documented here), returned to Mamiya, they sent me a warranty replacement. That worked fine for about 1 month. More problems. Returned it to Mamiya. They told me that they'd offer me a ZDb when they came out, but frankly couldn't guarantee that I'd get a good copy (glowing endorsement from them, eh?) so instead they 'upgraded' me (with some extra cash outlay on my part) to a Aptus II 6 digital back. Love it.

Phew.

If you've only got $3700, I'd say, save for 6 more months.