The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David I have no issues on waiting and if I purchase it I would NEVER buy without a demo and anyone that does is making a huge mistake with any MF system with this kind of money involved. You also have to remember David of who I am and what i do. I actually teach this stuff. LOL

But more importantly you need to remember who you are selling this stuff too and you are dealing with Pro's with vast experience and frankly most likely have more knowledge than anyone selling it to them. They know there needs and they know what they want in a file and nothing will convince them of that unless they do it themselves. Seriously the S2 just jumped completely over the consumer market and now you are dealing with really hard hitters that know there stuff. These reviews as well intentioned as they maybe do not serve us very well. This is a completely different attitude and selling environment than the normal consumers. No offense against Sean, Michael you or myself but this stuff in this high end market is taken at face value. People want raws and camera to try out. I would NEVER recommend any system to buy if someone did not try it out first. This is one main reason why Jack and I do the workshops so people can try this stuff in real environments and also get trained both to shoot it and process it. Believe me these folks walk away with real knowledge in there hands. This is just a totally different way of thinking and selling.

Just to clarify I am not saying the reviews are bad or don't have value to these high end buyers and shooters it brings some perspective but seriously the weight of them in total is most likely 10 percent as compared to a review on a M9 let's say that is more like 50 percent with the intent to buy. The only way to get that other 90 percent is demo's and processing or places people can really work them and learn like a workshop with experienced people that know how to work them. If that sounds like a plug so be it but those are the real truths. Sitting in a booth or camera store shooting under available light is not going to sell MF systems.

Christopher

I'm really interested in seeing 100% crops at higher ISO but I bet it looks the same as any Nikon or Canon and does not even come close to Capture One. However I will be convinced otherwise when I see it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Noise reduction seems quite high in the shadows; of course this is the problem with JPGs on the net rather than RAWs. Hard to tell if that's the JPG compression, David's development settings or the camera's native response.

This is NOT to say I think there is any issue here. I would expect the shadows to be very clean and detailed. I just want to SEE that rather than try to decipher it through a web JPG.

Capture Integration is actively considering becoming an S2 dealer. But we don't believe in judging products on their specs or companies at their word. We want to see how a shipping production model performs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Here's a nice set of a similar motif including shots of the CF22, H3DII39, H3DII50 and P65+ (all JPGs as well). For "comparision" :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dos-chin/sets/72157614936120567/

The image is sharpened very heavy so I actually can't tell anything... actually looks a bit like a blow up from a Canon.
Thomas,

I didn't add sharpening, either on import (left it on default of 25 in ACR), or on export. The files are really this sharp out of camera.

David

thomas

Thomas,
I didn't add sharpening, either on import (left it on default of 25 in ACR), or on export. The files are really this sharp out of camera.
So presharpened RAW files? Interessting.
There is clearly white halo around the eyelashes and the hair and skin show sharpening as well.
Anyway, thanks for sharing!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Thomas,

David
Actually, my bad.

This is the only file from my shoot that I processed through ACR. I just double checked the DNG by importing it into LR and it shows sharpening of 83, 0.9, 25, 10. So, yes, there is a small amount of sharpening applied.

For the rest of my files, I used the default 25 in LR.

I also have a Fill Light setting of 24, which is bringing up the shadows a bit.

David

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks for posting Dale... really appreciate it.

If you don't mind a comment... the skin seems a little hot on my end (at least for my tastes)... which can reek havoc with how it looks on screen. Also seems quite reddish. My first thoughts were "holy ****, that eye is sharp" followed by "skin looks strangely plastic".

... BUT, the more I look at it the more it seems that the "plastic" is from very heavy makeup as there still seems to be a lot of detail on the skin. Who knows, still to early to tell.

I enthusiastically look forward to more samples knowing full well I'll never own this camera :D

David K

Workshop Member
David,
That photo of the model on your blog looks pretty darn good to me. Let me know when you get a demo in stock and we'll have a "shoot off" with my Sinar e75LV :)

A

Alexander Bauer

regardless of sharpening I never seen a 100% crop with detailed eyelashes and detailed threads of hair without being muddy (a little muddy in the shadows but thats ok) not even from Phase :(

any of you know about any GetDPI thread/link of similar shots and crops by Phase DBs ?

PS: I presume there are no tricks (separate) exposures involved with using close ups to achieve more detail.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes there are plenty just have to search around but obviously different situations and such but you can get a good idea. Bottom line they are all really good and at this level that is what you are paying for. Obviously some backs have more res than others but I tested a load of them and they all are on a very high level. Depends on what you are really after in a system but they all will get the job done very well. Also it depends on how things are processed as well. This one in particular looks a little over sharpened to me.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David,
That photo of the model on your blog looks pretty darn good to me. Let me know when you get a demo in stock and we'll have a "shoot off" with my Sinar e75LV :)
You're on, buddy! Let's invite Andre too. :thumbup:

It'll be like old times... back when I had free time to go do fashion shoots for fun. :(

Seriously, this would be great. I already have plans in place to do comparisions with all of the current Phase One backs and the Hassy H3DII-50 (which should be interesting becuase they share the same 6um Kodak CCD tech). The Sinar produces very clean, very accurate images and has the benefit of using really nice Rollei, Schneider and Zeiss glass. This should be fun. :cool:

David

A

Alexander Bauer

it may be over sharpened but even if you try to blur it a bit you will see some serious detail in hair especially and some skin areas that are not too light

I have seen the reflection of the photographer in the eyes of the models from Phase DBs and I have seen some of the workshop images but not this kind of detail from a crop

dfarkas

Workshop Member
regardless of sharpening I never seen a 100% crop with detailed eyelashes and detailed threads of hair without being muddy (a little muddy in the shadows but thats ok) not even from Phase :(

any of you know about any GetDPI thread/link of similar shots and crops by Phase DBs ?

PS: I presume there are no tricks (separate) exposures involved with using close ups to achieve more detail.
No tricks. Single shot. Very minor retouching (healing brush) to get rid of some minor belmishes. No skin smoothing, blurring, etc.

I took this shot on the very first day of shooting the S2, after about an hour of using it.

Michael Reicmann uploaded a video of us in the studio. I'm the one in the maroon polo, shooting this set. Check it out at http://vimeo.com/6349921

I'll post more images in my full review and do apologize for the excess sharpening. I really hate oversharpened files myself. I processed this shot weeks ago on my laptop and posted it today, again from my laptop. It actually looks perfect on my 1920x1200 17" laptop screen. Tomorrow, at work, I'll check it out on an Eizo and update the online image.

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the hair looks even more impressive on some other shots I have.

David

S

Shelby Lewis

Oops... Sorry to David for calling him Dale. I played trumpet for a living for about a decade and every time I see his last name "Farkas", I think of Phil Farkas, principal hornist for years and years with the chicago symphony... and then I don't pay attention to what I type :eek:

Sorry David!

A

Alexander Bauer

Just a quick example with a p30+ no sharpening at all
thanks Guy:thumbup:

this P30+ example is also very nice

but if you look at the upper left corner that is when it starts to get muddy

maybe its the dark hair

on David's crop, threads of hair are nicely separated

David do you mind posting the link of the RAW file if not now perhaps in the near future?

A

Alexander Bauer

No tricks. Single shot. Very minor retouching (healing brush) to get rid of some minor belmishes. No skin smoothing, blurring, etc.

I took this shot on the very first day of shooting the S2, after about an hour of using it.

Michael Reicmann uploaded a video of us in the studio. I'm the one in the maroon polo, shooting this set. Check it out at http://vimeo.com/6349921

I'll post more images in my full review and do apologize for the excess sharpening. I really hate oversharpened files myself. I processed this shot weeks ago on my laptop and posted it today, again from my laptop. It actually looks perfect on my 1920x1200 17" laptop screen. Tomorrow, at work, I'll check it out on an Eizo and update the online image.

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the hair looks even more impressive on some other shots I have.

David

happy to hear that thanks David :thumbup: