The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

LJL

This go around, I used C1 which was a royal PITA without a profile. I do hope Phase comes through on that. Once I have the S2 in hand, I can make a C1 camera profile myself using my EyeOne XT and ColorChecker SG, so that might help.

After C1, I used PS to fix the colors (only took about six different adjustment layers!) and remove blemishes.
David,
Not to jump your case any more than you and others have done a bit, but this (bold text, my edit) is one of the reasons why some of us would be better off just having RAW files to make adjustments and such in processing. Your efforts are much appreciated for sure, so do not take this as a slam. It is just that nobody knows just what you may have done in those various adjustment layers to get your final result. I understand your desire to post the best looking shots you can, and it does look very nice. That does not really help those folks that may have very different expectations and skills in processing, let alone using different tools for the job. Again, not trying to criticize your efforts at all, just underscoring again why it is worth separating the sizzle from the steak at these price/user levels as Guy has said in a different way.

All that being said, I will admit that I am liking what I am seeing from the S2 so far. Still a ways to go with respect to non-studio results to help some other evaluation. As others have mentioned, seeing stuff at something other than f11 or so, and lit naturally, and with comps that will show off what the lenses and sensor do in the corners, etc., are important too. For folks shooting models in studios and such, the S2 is most likely hitting all the marks and more already, but there are other things that still need to be seen in its delivery. Just my thoughts on this, and yes, I know it is hard to hit all the points with a non-finalized firmware, limited profiles in various processing tools, etc., so it is better to offer things up as "first blush" looks rather than extolling beyond that. That really applies to all of the reviewers.

LJ

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Thomas,

This be a result of Blogger stripping the profile. I just double-checked the JPGs I uploaded and they are indeed tagged as sRGB. See the screenshot from the File Info dialog.

I then went onto my blog, downloaded the images and you are correct. The files prompt a missing profile dialog in PS. The sRGB profile was stripped out when I uploaded through the Blogger web interface. In fact, all images that I downloaded from the blog were stripped of the profile as well.

I may need to figure out a way to host these files on my own server.

Well, between Guy's color settings and my missing profiles, seems you were quite the color super sleuth today. Thanks. Good to know that we are not all going insane. :salute:

paulmoore

well wow, I have looked at many of the raw files in lightroom and I am still very impressed with the s2 system.. the combination of all the parts makes the whole package..just special..the lenses really steal the show though and I would love to have these to work with. Sharpness, smooth oof transitions, quick and precise auto focus, no falloff..really the epitome of lens design.
It will be interesting to see side by side shots to compare the other highend cameras but from what I have seen the s2 is right up there at the top regardless of sensor size..kinda what I expected and hoped for from Leica.
I understand the need for leica to hold off on releasing the raws until they have the firmware nailed down and we can pick the images apart..they have a month to get it together before shipping but with what they have accomplished I have no doubt that they will release a finished product that will go from the box to delivering the goods very quickly.

LJL

Paul,
If you do not mind my asking, just where and how have you been privy to seeing S2 raw files if they remain embargoed? Was this a demo or shots from Leica reps or select individuals that were sharing these? Just curious.

I am tending to agree with you that the S2 may really be hitting some impressive marks in performance, so it would be nice to start seeing that confirmed with images that others could start to test out with their own processing methods. I am sure the JPEGs from the camera will be very, very good, but it would be helpful to see just how easy/difficult it is to work with the raw files to get the desired results in one's own process workflow.

Now, if Leica could just come to better grips on a more reasonable price point for things in order to get more folks into this system.....

LJ

paulmoore

I was invited to see some here in nyc yesterday - the embargo is for media publication and I was informed that the shots where not profiled and firmware not established..Also I was viewing on someone's laptop, not my own screen so I was not too concerned with color. I was not asked to keep my mouth shut on what I saw.
I have not been a lightroom user so it took me a few minutes to get familiar with that as well.. and from what I saw I think it will work for me better than Aperture.
My suggestion to Leica is to hold off on releasing until the firmware and profiles are worked out and do so with images/subject matter/lighting conditions that show what a production camera will do. When they released the prices I said I would wait til I see the final product until making a purchasing decision..I would still like to see the final product but feel very confident that they are very close to shipping a winner.
The price is another matter, sure I would have liked it if they came in 30% less, but it is leica and if they demand the most money then I have no problem demanding the best in product quality and service from them..they have set a new premium bar for quality I can only expect that their service will be the same high standard. I came away wanting the camera more than ever and I need to learn from Leica that if you produce a high quality product that others don't then you have the upper hand and can charge a premium.
btw, I also saw some 20x30 prints from both the x1 and the s2.. while the s2 was better as expected and really nice.. the little x1 made incredible prints..amazing.

LJL

Paul,
Thanks for filling in the blanks a bit more.

I too am not a LR user. I do use ACR (same engine) for lots of stuff that is more routine or will require other layer work anyway. Not thrilled with results, but it does help workflow. I do use Aperture, but still am not convinced it is doing all it could in many areas. C1 does a nice job on many files, but it lacks other workflow niceties.

Agreeing with your comments about Leica getting the release right for the S2. The recent M9 release was yet another stumble for them. They had a new firmware (v1.002) ready, and should have told users to immediately install it when they got the camera. I am sure the S2 will go through similar things, so getting its firmware settled, AND getting some profiles into LR also (still not there in version 2.5 just released....neither S2 nor M9), so that folks will be able to get the full capabilities from the start is important. (Would help prevent all the fumbling around and excuses for why things look a bit off on some of the pre-production shots now being shared.)

Again, thanks for clarifying how you were able to see the raw files.

LJ

JSK Rangefinder

I came away wanting the camera more than ever and I need to learn from Leica that if you produce a high quality product that others don't then you have the upper hand and can charge a premium.
btw, I also saw some 20x30 prints from both the x1 and the s2.. while the s2 was better as expected and really nice.. the little x1 made incredible prints..amazing.
Good to hear about X1 results

How do you feel about S2 PSP package?

Ben Rubinstein

Actually, my bad.

This is the only file from my shoot that I processed through ACR. I just double checked the DNG by importing it into LR and it shows sharpening of 83, 0.9, 25, 10. So, yes, there is a small amount of sharpening applied.

David
Small? That's a huge amount of sharpening in ACR, applying it to a non AA filter image, ouch!