Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

Post Thanks / Like

anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

With all of the Leica hoopla today (congrats to them on the M9 release, etc.), it seems as though the S2 is already falling onto the sidelines. The pricing was announced around July 29th or so, followed by the specs being published around August 14th or so, with the promise of image files to soon follow.

So, has anybody seen any S2 files yet, aside from the few, limited things Leica has posted from long ago? They did put up some newer shots in the announcement this morning, but nothing else appears to be out there. Anybody have information or sample files that they may be able to share or at least talk about?

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

It is possible that they will be released with the camera, or just shortly before, i.e. in October. I presume that they will be working on the firmware until the last moment.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    It is possible that they will be released with the camera, or just shortly before, i.e. in October. I presume that they will be working on the firmware until the last moment.

I would certainly hope so!

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was just curious, as I recall David Farkas commenting that Leica would be providing images for folks to review shortly after they had posted the specs on the S2. (At least I think it was David that had made those comments in a thread. If not, I am sorry for pinning you, David.)

The S2 is a whole different beast in comparison to the recent announcement and release of the M9, so getting some feel for its performance capabilities and image quality through some files might help ease the pain of just looking at the cost of it.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think really good files from an S2 would increase the pain of looking at the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I think really good files from an S2 would increase the pain of looking at the price.

Good one Stephen! You are very correct, I think. If I saw some truly stunning results, I would probably be trying to figure out which kidney to try to sell. On the flip side, if there were all sorts of issues and ugliness, it would make the walking away decision so much easier. I kinda think that latter one is not going to be the case, but even the M9 folks are starting to see some line issues with the newest toy, so who knows what may be the outcome for all of it.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You will see reviews and sample images soon. Watch these sites over the next couple days and hide the credit card. I don't know if all of these sites will have reviews, but some have already stated a schedule for release of their S2 reviews.

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

last but not least - great subscription site
    http://www.reidreviews.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sell both, then enjoy the camera for about a week
    -bob

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post

Good one Stephen! You are very correct, I think. If I saw some truly stunning results, I would probably be trying to figure out which kidney to try to sell. On the flip side, if there were all sorts of issues and ugliness, it would make the walking away decision so much easier. I kinda think that latter one is not going to be the case, but even the M9 folks are starting to see some line issues with the newest toy, so who knows what may be the outcome for all of it.

LJ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

With all of the Leica hoopla today (congrats to them on the M9 release, etc.), it seems as though the S2 is already falling onto the sidelines. The pricing was announced around July 29th or so, followed by the specs being published around August 14th or so, with the promise of image files to soon follow.

So, has anybody seen any S2 files yet, aside from the few, limited things Leica has posted from long ago? They did put up some newer shots in the announcement this morning, but nothing else appears to be out there. Anybody have information or sample files that they may be able to share or at least talk about?

LJ
    LJ,

I have about 700 S2 images sitting in my Lightroom catalog at the moment! Three weeks ago, I was in Germany shooting with the S2 and M9 for a week. The files look beyond belief good. Truly astounding, really. My expectations were that the S2 files would look like DMR/M8 files, just four times larger. At a per-pixel level the S2 files blow away the DMR, M8, and M9. It is not just a matter of more pixels, but "better" pixels. Zooming in to 100% on the S2 files is just downright addictive.

Due to press embargo, I am not allowed to post anything online until tomorrow (09/10/09). I'll start things off with my in-depth M9 piece tomorrow, with perhaps an image or two from the S2, with the full review following in about a week.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    You will see reviews and sample images soon. Watch these sites over the next couple days and hide the credit card. I don't know if all of these sites will have reviews, but some have already stated a schedule for release of their S2 reviews.

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

last but not least - great subscription site
    http://www.reidreviews.com
    Dpreview probably won't have an S2 piece for a while, but my blog, Reid Reviews and LL will all have articles tomorrow.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    LJ,

I have about 700 S2 images sitting in my Lightroom catalog at the moment! Three weeks ago, I was in Germany shooting with the S2 and M9 for a week. The files look beyond belief good. Truly astounding, really. My expectations were that the S2 files would look like DMR/M8 files, just four times larger. At a per-pixel level the S2 files blow away the DMR, M8, and M9. It is not just a matter of more pixels, but "better" pixels. Zooming in to 100% on the S2 files is just downright addictive.

Due to press embargo, I am not allowed to post anything online until tomorrow (09/10/09). I'll start things off with my in-depth M9 piece tomorrow, with perhaps an image or two from the S2, with the full review following in about a week.

David
    Thanks, David. I was not sure if there was an embargo on images from the S2 at this point or not, since all of the other information (specs, prices, delivery schedule) had already been released. Looking forward to seeing some of the shots and files.

Hope you have some higher ISO shots in the batches also, and please do not be shy if there are some warts and stuff either It was a bit shocking earlier to see some of the files Lloyd had from his brand spanking new M9 that had that old line of problem pixels. That was not a confidence builder from Kodak or Leica after three years of time. Just hoping that was the one in 10,000 sensor that had a bad day when it was installed

LJ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All I care about are RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I heartily agree, Guy. Getting some RAW files to do our own processing is the preferred way to go. But what are you going to use to process them since they will not work in C1 from what we have been hearing? BTW, I will try any in C1 4.8.1 as I did with the M9 files and that seemed to work just fine.

LJ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    All I care about are RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS.
    Sorry, Guy. No DNGs. You're just going to have to trust my processing prowess in providing quality files for your viewing pleasure. I'll be sure to post 100% crops, but really, even the JPG conversions from LR I have are pushing 38MB apiece and look phenomenal.

DNGs will have to wait for final firmware and LR profiles on production cameras, which I hope to have in the next three to four weeks. I plan on doing a full head-to-head test of the S2 vs. P45+, P40+, P65+ and H3DII-50 shortly after I receive my S2 system. Should be interesting to say the least and I will, of course, be posting the results to my blog.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I heartily agree, Guy. Getting some RAW files to do our own processing is the preferred way to go. But what are you going to use to process them since they will not work in C1 from what we have been hearing? BTW, I will try any in C1 4.8.1 as I did with the M9 files and that seemed to work just fine.

LJ
    LJ,

The S2 files do import into C1 v4.8.2, but in my opinion, do not look as good as those put through LR. Keep in mind that I've been a C1 user for the last three years exclusively and have only worked with LR for a month or two. Also, C1 is about 1/4 the speed of LR when working with these files. The workflow is much, much better/faster, and the final image quality is superior also.

Still, you're not going to get DNGs right now. Not with pre-production firmware. Turst me, there is nothing to hide IQ-wise, but this is standard Leica policy. When I beta tested the M8 back in August 2006, I wasn't allowed to use a single image for my published review. I could only speak to the experience. In fact, being able to post 100% crops and images at all is a step in the right direction.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just use ACR for now if they don't work in C1. What it comes down too is any one with a 35mm cam will think they are heaven but those that actually shoot and process MF files on a daily basis will have a much better prospective on how they fit in with current MF system on many levels. No question they will look good but I want to get knocked the hell over on my *** when I look at them. It's just that simple. This has many pluses but it still has a lot of check marks to hit. Now granted I am extremely picky about this stuff and no words in brochures or reviews do a damn bit of good for me. Just give me the cam and the raw files I'll do my own review. Not meant to offend anyone but you know the rest.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, Guy. No DNGs. You're just going to have to trust my processing prowess in providing quality files for your viewing pleasure. I'll be sure to post 100% crops, but really, even the JPG conversions from LR I have are pushing 38MB apiece and look phenomenal.

DNGs will have to wait for final firmware and LR profiles on production cameras, which I hope to have in the next three to four weeks. I plan on doing a full head-to-head test of the S2 vs. P45+, P40+, P65+ and H3DII-50 shortly after I receive my S2 system. Should be interesting to say the least and I will, of course, be posting the results to my blog.

David
    David I will wait for the raws thanks anyway. And I do my own testing

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

And I do my own testing
    Don and I were just talking about this..... Does this mean you're getting the Leica Super-Saver Pak---an S2 bundled with the M9?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

David I will wait for the raws thanks anyway. And I do my own testing
    Guy,

I completely agree that everyone should be able to do their own testing when looking at gear at this level. When we have our first demo systems, I will be happy to work with anyone who wishes to try out the camera or do their own comparison testing.

Right now, most people considering the S2 have to depend on people like you, me, Michael Reichmann and Sean Reid to provide accurate and detailed testing of the camera. Not everyone has access to the S2 and to the product managers. Rather, they must rely on what we show and report. Every reviewer can bring a fresh perspective and a different approach.

In just a month or so, the first S2s will start shipping. Everyone will have access to DNG files and can make their own evaluations. You know how this kind of testing works. I had to agree to the no DNG rule before I shot a single frame on the S2. Just like honoring a press embargo, honoring a policy like this is important to a sustainable, open relationship with a manufacturer.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David I have no issues on waiting and if I purchase it I would NEVER buy without a demo and anyone that does is making a huge mistake with any MF system with this kind of money involved. You also have to remember David of who I am and what i do. I actually teach this stuff. LOL

But more importantly you need to remember who you are selling this stuff too and you are dealing with Pro's with vast experience and frankly most likely have more knowledge than anyone selling it to them. They know there needs and they know what they want in a file and nothing will convince them of that unless they do it themselves. Seriously the S2 just jumped completely over the consumer market and now you are dealing with really hard hitters that know there stuff. These reviews as well intentioned as they maybe do not serve us very well. This is a completely different attitude and selling environment than the normal consumers. No offense against Sean, Michael you or myself but this stuff in this high end market is taken at face value. People want raws and camera to try out. I would NEVER recommend any system to buy if someone did not try it out first. This is one main reason why Jack and I do the workshops so people can try this stuff in real environments and also get trained both to shoot it and process it. Believe me these folks walk away with real knowledge in there hands. This is just a totally different way of thinking and selling.

Just to clarify I am not saying the reviews are bad or don't have value to these high end buyers and shooters it brings some perspective but seriously the weight of them in total is most likely 10 percent as compared to a review on a M9 let's say that is more like 50 percent with the intent to buy. The only way to get that other 90 percent is demo's and processing or places people can really work them and learn like a workshop with experienced people that know how to work them. If that sounds like a plug so be it but those are the real truths. Sitting in a booth or camera store shooting under available light is not going to sell MF systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm really interested in seeing 100% crops at higher ISO but I bet it looks the same as any Nikon or Canon and does not even come close to Capture One. However I will be convinced otherwise when I see it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... not a RAW file, but I did post an S2 image with a 100% crop on my blog.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Noise reduction seems quite high in the shadows; of course this is the problem with JPGs on the net rather than RAWs. Hard to tell if that's the JPG compression, David's development settings or the camera's native response.

This is NOT to say I think there is any issue here. I would expect the shadows to be very clean and detailed. I just want to SEE that rather than try to decipher it through a web JPG.

Capture Integration is actively considering becoming an S2 dealer. But we don't believe in judging products on their specs or companies at their word. We want to see how a shipping production model performs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a nice set of a similar motif including shots of the CF22, H3DII39, H3DII50 and P65+ (all JPGs as well). For "comparision" :-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dos-chi...7614936120567/

The image is sharpened very heavy so I actually can't tell anything... actually looks a bit like a blow up from a Canon.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Here's a nice set of a similar motif including shots of the CF22, H3DII39, H3DII50 and P65+ (all JPGs as well). For "comparision" :-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dos-chi...7614936120567/

The image is sharpened very heavy so I actually can't tell anything... actually looks a bit like a blow up from a Canon.
    Thomas,

I didn't add sharpening, either on import (left it on default of 25 in ACR), or on export. The files are really this sharp out of camera.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas,
    I didn't add sharpening, either on import (left it on default of 25 in ACR), or on export. The files are really this sharp out of camera.
    So presharpened RAW files? Interessting.
    There is clearly white halo around the eyelashes and the hair and skin show sharpening as well.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thomas,

David
    Actually, my bad.

This is the only file from my shoot that I processed through ACR. I just double checked the DNG by importing it into LR and it shows sharpening of 83, 0.9, 25, 10. So, yes, there is a small amount of sharpening applied.

For the rest of my files, I used the default 25 in LR.

I also have a Fill Light setting of 24, which is bringing up the shadows a bit.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Shelby Lewis

Thanks for posting Dale... really appreciate it.

If you don't mind a comment... the skin seems a little hot on my end (at least for my tastes)... which can reek havoc with how it looks on screen. Also seems quite reddish. My first thoughts were "holy ****, that eye is sharp" followed by "skin looks strangely plastic".

... BUT, the more I look at it the more it seems that the "plastic" is from very heavy makeup as there still seems to be a lot of detail on the skin. Who knows, still to early to tell.

I enthusiastically look forward to more samples knowing full well I'll never own this camera

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    That photo of the model on your blog looks pretty darn good to me. Let me know when you get a demo in stock and we'll have a "shoot off" with my Sinar e75LV

Alexander Bauer

regardless of sharpening I never seen a 100% crop with detailed eyelashes and detailed threads of hair without being muddy (a little muddy in the shadows but thats ok) not even from Phase

any of you know about any GetDPI thread/link of similar shots and crops by Phase DBs ?

PS: I presume there are no tricks (separate) exposures involved with using close ups to achieve more detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes there are plenty just have to search around but obviously different situations and such but you can get a good idea. Bottom line they are all really good and at this level that is what you are paying for. Obviously some backs have more res than others but I tested a load of them and they all are on a very high level. Depends on what you are really after in a system but they all will get the job done very well. Also it depends on how things are processed as well. This one in particular looks a little over sharpened to me.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    David,
    That photo of the model on your blog looks pretty darn good to me. Let me know when you get a demo in stock and we'll have a "shoot off" with my Sinar e75LV
    You're on, buddy! Let's invite Andre too.

It'll be like old times... back when I had free time to go do fashion shoots for fun.

Seriously, this would be great. I already have plans in place to do comparisions with all of the current Phase One backs and the Hassy H3DII-50 (which should be interesting becuase they share the same 6um Kodak CCD tech). The Sinar produces very clean, very accurate images and has the benefit of using really nice Rollei, Schneider and Zeiss glass. This should be fun.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a quick example with a p30+ no sharpening at all

Alexander Bauer

it may be over sharpened but even if you try to blur it a bit you will see some serious detail in hair especially and some skin areas that are not too light

I have seen the reflection of the photographer in the eyes of the models from Phase DBs and I have seen some of the workshop images but not this kind of detail from a crop

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Bauer View Post
    regardless of sharpening I never seen a 100% crop with detailed eyelashes and detailed threads of hair without being muddy (a little muddy in the shadows but thats ok) not even from Phase

any of you know about any GetDPI thread/link of similar shots and crops by Phase DBs ?

PS: I presume there are no tricks (separate) exposures involved with using close ups to achieve more detail.
    No tricks. Single shot. Very minor retouching (healing brush) to get rid of some minor belmishes. No skin smoothing, blurring, etc.

I took this shot on the very first day of shooting the S2, after about an hour of using it.

Michael Reicmann uploaded a video of us in the studio. I'm the one in the maroon polo, shooting this set. Check it out at http://vimeo.com/6349921

I'll post more images in my full review and do apologize for the excess sharpening. I really hate oversharpened files myself. I processed this shot weeks ago on my laptop and posted it today, again from my laptop. It actually looks perfect on my 1920x1200 17" laptop screen. Tomorrow, at work, I'll check it out on an Eizo and update the online image.

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the hair looks even more impressive on some other shots I have.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Shelby Lewis

Oops... Sorry to David for calling him Dale. I played trumpet for a living for about a decade and every time I see his last name "Farkas", I think of Phil Farkas, principal hornist for years and years with the chicago symphony... and then I don't pay attention to what I type

Sorry David!

Alexander Bauer

Just a quick example with a p30+ no sharpening at all
    thanks Guy

this P30+ example is also very nice

but if you look at the upper left corner that is when it starts to get muddy

maybe its the dark hair

on David's crop, threads of hair are nicely separated

David do you mind posting the link of the RAW file if not now perhaps in the near future?

Alexander Bauer

No tricks. Single shot. Very minor retouching (healing brush) to get rid of some minor belmishes. No skin smoothing, blurring, etc.

I took this shot on the very first day of shooting the S2, after about an hour of using it.

Michael Reicmann uploaded a video of us in the studio. I'm the one in the maroon polo, shooting this set. Check it out at http://vimeo.com/6349921

I'll post more images in my full review and do apologize for the excess sharpening. I really hate oversharpened files myself. I processed this shot weeks ago on my laptop and posted it today, again from my laptop. It actually looks perfect on my 1920x1200 17" laptop screen. Tomorrow, at work, I'll check it out on an Eizo and update the online image.

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the hair looks even more impressive on some other shots I have.

David

happy to hear that thanks David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Bauer View Post
    but if you look at the upper left corner that is when it starts to get muddy

maybe its the dark hair
    we call it DOF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michael R's report is online incl. a 100% crop as well: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s2-first.shtml

edit: on the Leica Forum someone posted a link to a similar capture with the P40+:
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...76-post15.html
    here are two more:
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...13/117/017.jpg
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...13/117/018.jpg
    Last edited by thomas; 11th September 2009 at 03:54.

Shelby Lewis

Holy Cow! The first one (haven't looked at the others) at the dc.watch.impress.co.jp site is scary detailed. Color looks nice, but the detail... oh the detail. No smoothness in the skin at all (making me wonder about makeup on David's example). You can actually see hairs inside her nose

Just miles and miles of detail (a retouchers worst nightmare )

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Michael R's report is online incl. a 100% crop as well: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s2-first.shtml

edit: on the Leica Forum someone posted a link to a similar capture with the P40+:
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...76-post15.html
    here are two more:
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...13/117/017.jpg
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...13/117/018.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like I said the detail on all of these is going way above any 35mm system out there and pretty much on par with each other. Michael's and Davids shots are also with more contrasting lighting and mine and those others are using a little softer approach and there is some difference their with just that alone but regardless it will be interesting to see how this does which I have no doubt the Leica glass will be awesome . It's a interesting system and I like the concept very much even worse it fits my shooting like a glove. That alone is very dangerous to me. For me though I have to see how the system and all it's part comes together, than I need to rob a bank because this one in this market right now is a risk reward balance beam. I have to come up with a serious amount of cash but not ruling it out either. Look forward to getting one in my hands and testing it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Holy Cow! The first one (haven't looked at the others)
    the others are closer shot - more comparable to Michael's S2 capture.
    To me the P40+ is the reference here as it has a similar sized chip, 6micron pixel pitch, newest sensor technology and ~ the same resolution.
    I have no doubt that the S2 can get there as well. But the two S2 100% crops of David and Michael show that it is not quite there by now... IMHO. Of course there is different lighting and, and, and... but my impression is that there is still something to gain in the S2 files. Maybe the production model will be improved. Of course we can't judge about IQ based on these two crops... justed posted the p40+ shots with regard to some comments above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Thomas against the P40+ and Hassy 50 are the sole comparison backs. Since they are all 6 micron and the latest sensors from Dalsa and Kodak.

For me I want the P40+ to move up too or if the switch is on than a S2 but that is a decision that will wait till next year or maybe sooner who knows. Not ruling anything out

The REAL trick here is to keep a very open mind without prejudice, which I am seeing already. That helps no one make a decision

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me I want the P40+ to move up too or if the switch is on than a S2 but that is a decision that will wait till next year or maybe sooner who knows. Not ruling anything out

The REAL trick here is to keep a very open mind without prejudice, which I am seeing already. That helps no one make a decision
    my feeling is that for you the P40+ is the way to go (or to keep the P30+) as you seem to think about changes/upgrades from time to time. The S2 is not "upgradeable". Just "replaceable". Too, it will take some time until all the lenses will be available. And as to the lenses' quality - with the 1.3 crop of the P30+/P40+ you are certainly very well served with the Mamiya glass, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I am and would not switch until all the Leica glass is out completely and it is costly for now my best option is the P40+ and looking at that now and want to test it again one more time at the workshop unless Leica can convince me otherwise. Leica to me is next March when everything has time to settle in. I'm not in any hurry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going to back track for a second just to show what some sharpening can do to these files

Posting that 100 percent 900 pixel wide crop again from a P30+ and than one sharpened. Now given it is a portrait it certainly maybe too much. So we really have to careful when comparisons come up Raw processing these files will have a lot to do with outcome. They posted reversed but save them to desktop and open side by side you will certainly know which one was sharpened and seriously I may not even be critically focused this was during a lighting workshop and paying more attention to teaching than shooting. She also has very little makeup on as well since she was the first model of the day and we needed to get started and we wanted easy on the makeup

Post Thanks / Like

Posting that 100 percent 900 pixel wide crop again from a P30+ and than one sharpened. Now given it is a portrait it certainly maybe too much.
    Guy,
    With the Phase p65+, Leica S2 and M9 I am getting the feeling that we have arrived... That the image quality has reached a pinnacle. Of course if you want to printer larger and larger a 180 mega pixel camera is even better for that purpose. But these sensors are producing pleasing colors and sharpness. What more is there? I hope now that the manufactures concentrate on usability features. Things like LiveView, better LCD screens in bright sunlight and so on. This is all good news and I am pleased with the reports of these cameras and glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, according to Michael (Reichmann) on Luminous Landscape in his S2 review post of today, it looks like folks may be able to use C1 to do their processing.....at some point. Check this statement from the MR post on LL:

"There have been some early reports that Phase One will restrict access to Leica S2 files from within C1. I have queried this directly with the CEO of Phase One and have been told unequivocally that this is not the case, and that Leica S2 files will not by blocked in any way for processing in Capture One."

Now, that does not say anything about there being "optimized" profiles or other such things, but folks using C1 should be able to create their own profiles to get the sorts of results they may be looking for. This all remains to be seen when it actually happens, but at least this should reduce some of the anti-LR anxiety that some folks may have.

LJ