The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anybody seeing S2 image files yet?

LJL

With all of the Leica hoopla today (congrats to them on the M9 release, etc.), it seems as though the S2 is already falling onto the sidelines. The pricing was announced around July 29th or so, followed by the specs being published around August 14th or so, with the promise of image files to soon follow.

So, has anybody seen any S2 files yet, aside from the few, limited things Leica has posted from long ago? They did put up some newer shots in the announcement this morning, but nothing else appears to be out there. Anybody have information or sample files that they may be able to share or at least talk about?

LJ

carstenw

It is possible that they will be released with the camera, or just shortly before, i.e. in October. I presume that they will be working on the firmware until the last moment.

LJL

Well I was just curious, as I recall David Farkas commenting that Leica would be providing images for folks to review shortly after they had posted the specs on the S2. (At least I think it was David that had made those comments in a thread. If not, I am sorry for pinning you, David.)

The S2 is a whole different beast in comparison to the recent announcement and release of the M9, so getting some feel for its performance capabilities and image quality through some files might help ease the pain of just looking at the cost of it.

LJ

LJL

I think really good files from an S2 would increase the pain of looking at the price.
:ROTFL::thumbup:

Good one Stephen! You are very correct, I think. If I saw some truly stunning results, I would probably be trying to figure out which kidney to try to sell. On the flip side, if there were all sorts of issues and ugliness, it would make the walking away decision so much easier. I kinda think that latter one is not going to be the case, but even the M9 folks are starting to see some line issues with the newest toy, so who knows what may be the outcome for all of it.

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sell both, then enjoy the camera for about a week
-bob

:ROTFL::thumbup:

Good one Stephen! You are very correct, I think. If I saw some truly stunning results, I would probably be trying to figure out which kidney to try to sell. On the flip side, if there were all sorts of issues and ugliness, it would make the walking away decision so much easier. I kinda think that latter one is not going to be the case, but even the M9 folks are starting to see some line issues with the newest toy, so who knows what may be the outcome for all of it.

LJ

dfarkas

Workshop Member
With all of the Leica hoopla today (congrats to them on the M9 release, etc.), it seems as though the S2 is already falling onto the sidelines. The pricing was announced around July 29th or so, followed by the specs being published around August 14th or so, with the promise of image files to soon follow.

So, has anybody seen any S2 files yet, aside from the few, limited things Leica has posted from long ago? They did put up some newer shots in the announcement this morning, but nothing else appears to be out there. Anybody have information or sample files that they may be able to share or at least talk about?

LJ
LJ,

I have about 700 S2 images sitting in my Lightroom catalog at the moment! Three weeks ago, I was in Germany shooting with the S2 and M9 for a week. The files look beyond belief good. Truly astounding, really. My expectations were that the S2 files would look like DMR/M8 files, just four times larger. At a per-pixel level the S2 files blow away the DMR, M8, and M9. :bugeyes: It is not just a matter of more pixels, but "better" pixels. Zooming in to 100% on the S2 files is just downright addictive. :D

Due to press embargo, I am not allowed to post anything online until tomorrow (09/10/09). I'll start things off with my in-depth M9 piece tomorrow, with perhaps an image or two from the S2, with the full review following in about a week.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
You will see reviews and sample images soon. Watch these sites over the next couple days and hide the credit card. I don't know if all of these sites will have reviews, but some have already stated a schedule for release of their S2 reviews.

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

last but not least - great subscription site
http://www.reidreviews.com
Dpreview probably won't have an S2 piece for a while, but my blog, Reid Reviews and LL will all have articles tomorrow.

David

LJL

LJ,

I have about 700 S2 images sitting in my Lightroom catalog at the moment! Three weeks ago, I was in Germany shooting with the S2 and M9 for a week. The files look beyond belief good. Truly astounding, really. My expectations were that the S2 files would look like DMR/M8 files, just four times larger. At a per-pixel level the S2 files blow away the DMR, M8, and M9. :bugeyes: It is not just a matter of more pixels, but "better" pixels. Zooming in to 100% on the S2 files is just downright addictive. :D

Due to press embargo, I am not allowed to post anything online until tomorrow (09/10/09). I'll start things off with my in-depth M9 piece tomorrow, with perhaps an image or two from the S2, with the full review following in about a week.

David
Thanks, David. I was not sure if there was an embargo on images from the S2 at this point or not, since all of the other information (specs, prices, delivery schedule) had already been released. Looking forward to seeing some of the shots and files.

Hope you have some higher ISO shots in the batches also, and please do not be shy if there are some warts and stuff either ;) It was a bit shocking earlier to see some of the files Lloyd had from his brand spanking new M9 that had that old line of problem pixels. That was not a confidence builder from Kodak or Leica after three years of time. Just hoping that was the one in 10,000 sensor that had a bad day when it was installed :bugeyes:

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All I care about are RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS.

LJL

I heartily agree, Guy. Getting some RAW files to do our own processing is the preferred way to go. But what are you going to use to process them since they will not work in C1 from what we have been hearing? BTW, I will try any in C1 4.8.1 as I did with the M9 files and that seemed to work just fine.

LJ

dfarkas

Workshop Member
All I care about are RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS RAWS.
Sorry, Guy. No DNGs. You're just going to have to trust my processing prowess in providing quality files for your viewing pleasure. I'll be sure to post 100% crops, but really, even the JPG conversions from LR I have are pushing 38MB apiece and look phenomenal.

DNGs will have to wait for final firmware and LR profiles on production cameras, which I hope to have in the next three to four weeks. I plan on doing a full head-to-head test of the S2 vs. P45+, P40+, P65+ and H3DII-50 shortly after I receive my S2 system. Should be interesting to say the least and I will, of course, be posting the results to my blog.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I heartily agree, Guy. Getting some RAW files to do our own processing is the preferred way to go. But what are you going to use to process them since they will not work in C1 from what we have been hearing? BTW, I will try any in C1 4.8.1 as I did with the M9 files and that seemed to work just fine.

LJ
LJ,

The S2 files do import into C1 v4.8.2, but in my opinion, do not look as good as those put through LR. Keep in mind that I've been a C1 user for the last three years exclusively and have only worked with LR for a month or two. Also, C1 is about 1/4 the speed of LR when working with these files. The workflow is much, much better/faster, and the final image quality is superior also.

Still, you're not going to get DNGs right now. Not with pre-production firmware. Turst me, there is nothing to hide IQ-wise, but this is standard Leica policy. When I beta tested the M8 back in August 2006, I wasn't allowed to use a single image for my published review. I could only speak to the experience. In fact, being able to post 100% crops and images at all is a step in the right direction.

David

Guy Mancuso

Just use ACR for now if they don't work in C1. What it comes down too is any one with a 35mm cam will think they are heaven but those that actually shoot and process MF files on a daily basis will have a much better prospective on how they fit in with current MF system on many levels. No question they will look good but I want to get knocked the hell over on my *** when I look at them. It's just that simple. This has many pluses but it still has a lot of check marks to hit. Now granted I am extremely picky about this stuff and no words in brochures or reviews do a damn bit of good for me. Just give me the cam and the raw files I'll do my own review. Not meant to offend anyone but you know the rest.

Guy Mancuso

Sorry, Guy. No DNGs. You're just going to have to trust my processing prowess in providing quality files for your viewing pleasure. I'll be sure to post 100% crops, but really, even the JPG conversions from LR I have are pushing 38MB apiece and look phenomenal.

DNGs will have to wait for final firmware and LR profiles on production cameras, which I hope to have in the next three to four weeks. I plan on doing a full head-to-head test of the S2 vs. P45+, P40+, P65+ and H3DII-50 shortly after I receive my S2 system. Should be interesting to say the least and I will, of course, be posting the results to my blog.

David
David I will wait for the raws thanks anyway. And I do my own testing

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David I will wait for the raws thanks anyway. And I do my own testing
Guy,

I completely agree that everyone should be able to do their own testing when looking at gear at this level. When we have our first demo systems, I will be happy to work with anyone who wishes to try out the camera or do their own comparison testing.

Right now, most people considering the S2 have to depend on people like you, me, Michael Reichmann and Sean Reid to provide accurate and detailed testing of the camera. Not everyone has access to the S2 and to the product managers. Rather, they must rely on what we show and report. Every reviewer can bring a fresh perspective and a different approach.

In just a month or so, the first S2s will start shipping. Everyone will have access to DNG files and can make their own evaluations. You know how this kind of testing works. I had to agree to the no DNG rule before I shot a single frame on the S2. Just like honoring a press embargo, honoring a policy like this is important to a sustainable, open relationship with a manufacturer.

David