Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Contax 645Hi,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax 645Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I think the Contax is a very pretty camara - and yes I agree that the Phase One backs look as if they were made for the Contax. Very much enjoying the 80 f2.
    peter! you have a rubber lens hood???? only sailors use rubber!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Irakly - heheheh...it is how it came - got a spare metal one?
    I really LOVE the way this lens 'paints'.
    I also have a 35/45/80/120/140 and a 210 to test with a couple of excellent bodies and a P21. Loking to get a P25 or P25+ swap.
    tell me if you dont mind giving away secret secrets...- what are your favourite lenses for this system - apart from 80? What are the MUST haves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

peter, in my opinion, the real strength of the system is in uniformly high quality of lenses. at the same time, 45, 55 and 80 has distinct signatures at apertures below 5.6. the secretest secret of the system is that you can safely get rid of 210 and buy a 1.4x converter instead. surprisingly, 210 is not as good as everything else in the lineup. a lens that you might find interesting is zeiss jena 2.8/180 mc sonnar. of course, you will have to live with stopped-down metering and no af, but what a lens!
    as for the lens hood... if you cannot find the standard petal hood, another elegant option is a 72-86 ring plus hood 4 from a contax hood system. the beauty of it is that there is a lens cap that goes on the hood, so you can keep the hood on at all times. another neat feature is that you can put in on a polarizing filter and adjust it by rotating the hood as opposed to putting your finger inside of the bayonet mounted one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Irakly - thanks for the info - wondering best place to source stuff for the dead Contax system? Ebay?

Post Thanks / Like

open your check book
    there are a lot of Contax lenses FS right here.
    otherwise, find on ebay either reputable resellers (that is camera store like ACE Photo) who sell, or Kurland etc.

then also, I have had luck with photographers retiring or MIOSTAKENLY selling thinking they are going to buy something better

SO, Peter, what do YOU drive?

regrads
    Victor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

List your stuff here guys. It's free for one and drool factor is always fun. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    So, if I have this right, we eliminate AF, power issues, sync speed, and most of the other stuff that makes a 645 a reasonable application choice ... and we're left with a ... drum roll ... Hasselbald 203FE ... which has lens IQ that equals, and in many cases, kills the Contax 645 lenses. Ironically, also a dead system, but the company that made it is still directly handling repairs, and I can get parts overnight. Slap a Sinar 33 meg back on it and you're off to the races ... as long as you don't need AF ... which I guess we don't.
    Marc

Glad to hear your opinion of the 203FE. It is going to be my next purchase as i can use all of my CFE lenses with it as well as the Hassy 110 2.0. I can use my current CFV back with it and ultimately go on to probably a Sinar higher density back.

Thanks for the education

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Marc

Glad to hear your opinion of the 203FE. It is going to be my next purchase as i can use all of my CFE lenses with it as well as the Hassy 110 2.0. I can use my current CFV back with it and ultimately go on to probably a Sinar higher density back.

Thanks for the education

Woody
    Finally....you guys are seeing the advantages of the Sinar with the Hassy 200 gear. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Finally....you guys are seeing the advantages of the Sinar with the Hassy 200 gear. Congrats!
    What 'advantages' are you referring too I wonder?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    What 'advantages' are you referring too I wonder?
    Whatever advantages were enough for Woody and Marc to consider a Sinar back of course.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Not so fast ... the advantage is that it MAY be the only back that can be used for mobile work on a 200 series focal plane camera as well as the 500 series with the same adapter ... nothing more.

IF it works on the 200 series without any cripping restrictions, then that advantage alone is THE advantage.

Otherwise it's just another back, no better or worse than any other with a similar sensor size. Since the V cameras do not afford the distinct advantages of an integrated system, any "dumb" digital back will do. But it has to be able to sync with the 200 camera ... which the Sinar MAY be able to do and others clearly cannot. If it were just a matter of the 500 series cameras, virtually any 645 back will do just fine ... probably a Phase One because it's industrial design looks better than the Hassy grey or Sinar two tone.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am missing something. What about Phase? was the P series only made in the "H" mount?

the earlier were for a V but only the 555el had the necessary electronics, I think
    but what about using a Kapture group cable? if the mount of a 555 works (200 is V mount back, yes??) then only need synch from shutter to back, yes?
    (but trwo step process I guess.

Lance, any ideas here?

Sinar will get all the 200 work if it works.