The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645Hi,

evgeny

I bought Contax 645 and have two questions.

1. Please recommend a bag to go with Contax 645 and 140mm lens with Hood, and Grip *attached*.

2. Please teach me how to find proper digital backs for Contax. I see only "for Hasselblad" digital backs on eBay. May be I simply need an adapter to attach Hassel backs to Contax? Which backs are "no-no". Is it ever possible to find a good back under $5K ?

Thanks
Evgeny

Graham Mitchell

You need to use either:

- a Sinar back with a Contax adapter
- a Hasselblad back with a Contax adapter
- a Leaf back in Contax mount
- a Phase One back in Contax mount

gogopix

Subscriber
i have had phase backs with Contax and use hassey and contax lenses (see the 110/4 discussion I have a few P25 images)
Although I now have P45+ and had P45 I am a bit sorry that I sent from the P25. It is GREAT and more than enough for most work.
Good deals too!
regards
Victor
PS and welcome to the C645 club; it is a wonderful platform (even can use some Leica lenses!!)

David K

Workshop Member
Certainly agree with Victor about the Contax 645 platform and lenses as well as the fact that there are some VERY good deals out there on used backs, including the P25. However, they are not under $5k good deals... probably closer to twice that. If you want to shoot MFDB the best bang for the buck IMHO is the Mamiya ZD if you can find one, but you will then need to shoot either the Mamiya 645 or RZ (which I like very much).

gogopix

Subscriber
why switch to inferior glass and platform?

Here's a back under $5k! Pretty damn good. It was the first back I used with the Contax 645 when I switched from film. It actually has a more 'filmic' look than current backs. I may try to pick one up again (taded it for the P25 on a great deal.)
(could also try P17 also 16MP and under 10k, but try a used P25; I think they are getting down there. I am sorry I traded mine!

The first is 100% crop and yes, it is the now defunct Kodak. (but in good company with defunct Contax :D

Victor

PS, Even though I have a P45+ for may shots I would still not be reluctant to use the Kodak.

PPS BTW, these are pretty crasppy 150k jpgs. If you want the original raws to play with (Photodesk from Kodak is free) I will send you some raw files. Don't dismiss this back!

Last edited:

irakly

contax 645 system has a bag that is absolutely ideal except it says "contax" with huge white letters right on the front. it would be the same had they wrote "steal me".
if you want a small portable bag for just one body with a lens and a back, believe it or not, contax G2 system bag (black one, not brown) works beautifully if you take all dividers out. you will have to mount a hood backwards, though. anyway, not mounting the GB-72 hood backwards for storage is a bad idea because you can easily break aplastic retainer ring on its mount.
the only unteathered back that is close to what you want to pay for it is kodak dcs proback 645c, but below 5K it will have close to 100,000 actuations and most likely will be banged up.

D

DougDolde

The Phase One P20+ just got it's MSRP reduced to $9990. I know they'll deal a bit on them so isn't this a better pick than a Kodak back even though it's a bit more costly? You'd get full 16 bit files, a year's warranty, better LCD and so on. And it's a current model with full support by the manufacturer, upgrade path, etc.

irakly

the only cute thing about p20+ is a long exposure capability. the screen is no better than on the kodak. well, one more thing: kodak uses batteries compatible with nothing else, while phase one backs use widely available generic canon packs. but if you think about how many spare batteries one can get for a $4500 price difference...

gogopix

Subscriber
Recent sales of C645 Kodak are 3000-4000 with under 10,000 actuations. There is one ebay now looks excellent
for a mint, 5000 esp with AA filter (but who would want it?) would not be unreasonable, but I am looking for one w/o AA.

gogopix

Subscriber
The Phase One P20+ just got it's MSRP reduced to $9990. I know they'll deal a bit on them so isn't this a better pick than a Kodak back even though it's a bit more costly? You'd get full 16 bit files, a year's warranty, better LCD and so on. And it's a current model with full support by the manufacturer, upgrade path, etc.
We need to hear from Lance, but do you get a Mamiya body with this one?

irakly

no, honestly: i will sell mine for 5k and buy another one just like that for 3k. then i can use the remaining two grand to buy something for my wife :) now all i need to know is where do they sell them backs for three grand a piece.

gogopix

Subscriber
no, honestly: i will sell mine for 5k and buy another one just like that for 3k. then i can use the remaining two grand to buy something for my wife :) now all i need to know is where do they sell them backs for three grand a piece.
one sold mid 3xxx but was fraud so now relisted 3550 with 5k buynow

Other 'reported' sales in same range, but who knows. However, at some point (like 5-6k people will just stretch to a used phase 7k range (P25) or a new P20 under 10k

one seller 2 buyer>price can be 6K

two sellers one buyer and its back to 3k

thin market

evgeny

Thanks all for replies!

I was the runner-up in Tim Kelly's auction.

My last bid was $5900, then auction time eneded, and another bidder won.

I never got a prompt from Tim to take the back, although I dicussed with him more than once that I want the back. He simply made auction void and relisted the item. At that point we both decided to not deal anymore, each for our own reasons.

With or without AA, the back not worths that amount of money. I'm glad to skip that deal. Hope Tim Kelly is happy, too :salute:

Last edited: