Site Sponsors

Thread: Which Mamiya lens for 645?

rastas

Which Mamiya lens for 645?

Hi all! My transition from Mamiya RZ and V mount P25 to a M mount digital back and Mamiya 645 lens is just about complete. On the Mamiya 645 I will use a 35mm af lens, a hassy 110mm f2 planar lens, and want to buy one more - which one?

Hoping for opinions on which Mamiya AF lens is the sharpest: 45mm, 55mm or 80mm? Or is there an older manual focus lens in this range that is even sharper? Or another maker's lens with an adapter?

Opinions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Mamiya lens for 645?

Are you planning to buy the newest generation "D" lenses? Or the previous "non-D" versions?

Of the three that you list, I would suggest that the 80mm of either version is quite good, with the newer "D" version winning in a comparison test; and the 55mm generally trumps the 45mm of the non-D version (I own both). The new 45mm ("D" version) may be better, but one would do well to study each copy carefully.

A bit more info on the specific lens versions that you're considering will likely get you some more detailed feedback.

rastas

As I mentioned, I'm open to any type of lens that will attach to a Mamiya AFD: the Af lenses, the newer D lenses, the manual focus lenses, the other-maker's lenses....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastas View Post
    Hi all! My transition from Mamiya RZ and V mount P25 to a M mount digital back and Mamiya 645 lens is just about complete. On the Mamiya 645 I will use a 35mm af lens, a hassy 110mm f2 planar lens, and want to buy one more - which one?

Hoping for opinions on which Mamiya AF lens is the sharpest: 45mm, 55mm or 80mm? Or is there an older manual focus lens in this range that is even sharper? Or another maker's lens with an adapter?

Opinions welcome.
    If you do not care about AF and auto aperture shooting, I'd opt for a Zeiss 40/4 CFE IF ... but wear safety glasses when viewing images or it'll slice your retina's with it's razor sharp results

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 55/2.8 AF is a nice all-purpose lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My vote would be for a older manual focus Mamiya 50mm shift lens as it would give that tweener focal, is very sharp and of course adds some versatility to your kit
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

rastas

thanks for comments. I'll look into that zeiss!