The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca RM3D vs Cambo wide RS vs Alpa Max

archivue

Hi,

my next purchase will be one of these... i have my idea about the model to choose, but maybe i've miss something...

I have already the lenses that have to be converted :

35 xl digitar
55 apo sironar digital
90 apo sironar digital
later i will probably ad a 28, a 72 and a 120.

main use : architecture with an aptus 22.

so what would be your final choice ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
RM3D looks very promising, but I've only ever seen a demo and specs, never a production model -- but if you can find one, this may be the ultimate. I prefer all of my tech camera rise/fall and shift movements at the back for easier, seamless stitching, so that lets the Max out for me -- though if I had to go with Alpa I might consider the XY, but it looks pretty big having way more movement capability that really needed... Which leaves the Cambo RS. Personally, at this point in time, this body offers everything I'd want in a tech camera -- it's relatively compact, has ample rear rise/fall and shift movements at a reasonable price and availability.

Don Libby

This is offered with the understanding that I've tested both the Cambo WDS & WRS and own the WRS and am very happy with it.

I'm in agreement with Jack regarding movements. The WRS has all movements on the rear which makes it easy and darn near perfect for me. Two faults on the WRS (one of which has been fixed) is the inability of a sliding back and tilt-swing lens (which is now being offered). Even though there's no sliding back option for the WRS it nevertheless is still a stellar camera option especially for the price.

My final choice would be to thoroughly test each and make you decision then. You also need to keep us in the loop so we know what you end up with.

Don

BTW I like your choice of lenses (I've got the 24,35,72, and 120 and kicking around the idea of a 47)

bavanor

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe you can movements can be applied to the back, not just the lens, with the addition of alpa's stiching adapter.

I was curious if you have thought about Sinar's arTec camera. Though I think you would have to go to europe to try one out, because I have not seen one here in the States to test. I would love to try this camera out along with the alpa max, arca rm3d and Cambo wide rs.

M

MHFA

Two month ago I bought a SINAR Artec with 23/28/45/70/135 and I am really happy for my architectural work. I hope SINAR will soon make more adapters to their camera. I think, the only reason they did not yet was Jenoptik.

Michael Heinrich

E

ericstaud

RM3D looks very promising, but I've only ever seen a demo and specs, never a production model -- but if you can find one, this may be the ultimate. I prefer all of my tech camera rise/fall and shift movements at the back for easier, seamless stitching, so that lets the Max out for me -- though if I had to go with Alpa I might consider the XY, but it looks pretty big having way more movement capability that really needed... Which leaves the Cambo RS. Personally, at this point in time, this body offers everything I'd want in a tech camera -- it's relatively compact, has ample rear rise/fall and shift movements at a reasonable price and availability.
My Max is attached to the tripod with the supplied adapter which I keep on all the time. The back and the rest of the camera move around the lens which means stitching is very accurate.

I would add up the price of all the systems, look at lead times, and look at the maturity of systems as far as available lenses and accessories. The RM3D looks nice, but how long will it all take to get and how will the system grow would be my question.

thomas

my next purchase will be one of these... i have my idea about the model to choose, but maybe i've miss something...
do you want a sliding back adpater? Then the Arca is the one of that three cameras that offers one (beside the arTec but you didn't ask for). Do you often have to set accurate focus closer than infinity and at wider apertures? Then the Arca is probably again the first choice.
Alpa vs. Cambo for me is clearly the Cambo. It has basically the same capabilities but is less expensive (though the lens mounts add to the costs).
If you think about Tilt/Shift it's again the Cambo as the upcoming TS lens panels are designed for wider lenses as the TS adapter of the Alpa.
But - if that matters to you - the bulit quality of the Alpa is clearly superior to the Cambo. The movements, the screws... all that works extremely smooth.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My Max is attached to the tripod with the supplied adapter which I keep on all the time. The back and the rest of the camera move around the lens which means stitching is very accurate.
Thanks for that correction -- I did not realize the Max had a similar lensmount option to the XY.

bavanor

Here is a decent link to a video explaining how the alpa max works with the stitch adapter. You get the back to move and keep the lens stationary.

A

arappaport

I have used a Cambo Wide DS for years, and bought a Wide RS about 6 months ago. I have used these with Phase One backs (P45 and P65+). I have been tempted by various Alpa cameras, but need XY movements, and have not been impressed with the Alpa XY vs the Cambo. I use an Arca Swiss F-line 6x9 when I need tilts and swings.

I can recommend the Wide RS very highly. I do not use a sliding back on this camera, but I do occasionally use a ground-glass back. I use the 47mm and 35mm lenses, usually stopped down, so zone focus is usually sufficient. I don't love framing using a viewfinder, but the shift markings in the Cambo viewfinder work surprisingly well. I find that for most work, I do rough composition in the viewfinder, and fine-tune using the display on the back. I can confirm focus the same way. In this way, I end up with a very compact and quick camera, especially for the range of movements. I have never shot handheld with this camera, but I believe it is possible.

Here's my rundown of the pros and cons:

Pros:
- very compact and light
- nicely geared movements; not Arca Swiss smooth, but close
- Rise and (some) fall
- nicely positioned controls that work well
- good selection of great lenses

Cons:
- market controlled by Calumet, sometimes hard to find components
- I've never seen adapted lenses, just the standard ones offered by Cambo

archivue

First, please excuse me for my poor french-english !
don't hesitate to correct my spelling !

to be honest, i'm quite biased... being a successful arca user for years, and knowing them... i'm naturally in the process to buy a RM3D... but this will be a major investment for me, and i want to make shure that i will choose the right tool for my needs !

in the mean time, alpa's people have being always very helpfull with me, and i quite enjoy the look of their stuff... and i enjoy their website too, when i turn the sound off ;-)

Why considering Cambo as well ? because i have read many reviews from people who found that the Wide RS suite their needs perfectly...

Why not considering the sinar ? because in some occasion, you need to shoot hand held even for architecture... and the artech isn't a part of a system for now...

So, here are my previous conclusions :

if you needs 4 lenses (or needs your lenses to be mounted), and needs a digital adapter plate, a finder, and a good way to level the camera, then the prices from this cameras systems aren't far away each other... but, i'm waiting for precise quotations at the moment.

Considering tilt function : the arca is the only system that can offer it for my beloved 35 XL and shorter lenses (minimum 45 for cambo, and 85 for alpa).

Considering ground glass : the arca can use the expensive rotaslide that provides even more stitching possibilities. So you can compose the entire image with the ground glass, make the focus with the precise focus ring, and stitch with the rotaslide....

Hand held use : the nice thing with alpa, is that you can share your equipment from one body to the others... but both RS and Rm3D are still usable... and with arca, you can use you lenses on a classic LF camera !

Focusing : the arca wins, because of the precision of their own ring... but you need a laser meter... i don't trust their sonar so far, but i may be wrong !

Considering digital back adapters : Being more expensive, the Arca's one still the only one who can be calibrated (shims) for your own back, there's some variations... we are talking about microns !

About view finders, i hate all of them ;-) but now we have the DB sreen to check the final image !

The way the lens is locked to the body : in this respect, i've found the arca to be weird compares to the others.

And finally, being an owner of two f-line camera, i will be able to use my lenses (especially the normal and long ones) as well as the rotaslide on all the cameras !

But, because there is always a but... i hate the arca handles !

Unfortunately, where i live, we don't have shops as capture integration to be able to test things !

Last edited:

Don Libby

While Calumet might have a controlling market share for Cambo here in the US there are other sources available. I bought my WRS and all but one lens from Capture Integration who was able to meet and often times beat the pricing of Calumet. The only item I bought from Calumet was my Schneider 72mm that they had a heck of a sale on due to being an over stock item.

You can shoot handheld with either the WDS or WRS (I tested that function on both) the question is why would you?

Don

archivue

You can shoot handheld with either the WDS or WRS (I tested that function on both) the question is why would you ?

for example, when the perfect point of view is in the middle of the traffic...

PeterA

I have been shopping for a technical camera solution which provides back shift/front tilt and swing, easy focusing to back positioniong all with accurate focusing capability - the artec is the one I have decided does the best job. however it doesn't tick one important box for me - and that is it comes with a fixed specific mount design currently Hy6/Afi or V mount- soon enough Phase One mount and H mount.

However - I think the design has two basic flaws. Firstly it provides a panoramic head - but does not have the lens board centered to the tripod axis and does not have in built nodal point shooting. all this can be worked around

however the fatal flaw for me - is that I am forced to choose just one camera back mount option. This is bizarre - as the artec will outlast any back and technology changes- I would prefer the Alpa system of interchangeable adapters to mount any back onto the artec frame.

archivue

it happens to me twice...
with an arca Fline : no picture
with a Canon : picture made... but only canon quality !

S

smei_ch

Considering digital back adapters : Being more expensive, the Arca's one still the only one who can be calibrated (shims) for your own back, there's some variations... we are talking about microns !
You mixed something up. The Alpa adapters are the ones that can be adjusted. And with some backs this is required.

archivue

it looks like, there is some wide rs sale at the moment... maybe a new one is coming with the tilt inside ? something like the wide RS 2000 ?

JSK Rangefinder

who among these three companies is bigger and more reliable?

I didn't find Cambo much cheaper than Alpa at all and I couldn't find nothing on
Arca no websites just a few links. I would personally choose Cambo or Alpa
simply because they have people on line to answer your question Arca seems
mute in that regard.