Site Sponsors

Thread: Arca RM3D vs Cambo wide RS vs Alpa Max

Post Thanks / Like

Arca RM3D vs Cambo wide RS vs Alpa Max

Hi,

my next purchase will be one of these... i have my idea about the model to choose, but maybe i've miss something...

I have already the lenses that have to be converted :

35 xl digitar
    55 apo sironar digital
    90 apo sironar digital
    later i will probably ad a 28, a 72 and a 120.

main use : architecture with an aptus 22.

so what would be your final choice ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Arca RM3D vs Cambo wide RS vs Alpa Max

RM3D looks very promising, but I've only ever seen a demo and specs, never a production model -- but if you can find one, this may be the ultimate. I prefer all of my tech camera rise/fall and shift movements at the back for easier, seamless stitching, so that lets the Max out for me -- though if I had to go with Alpa I might consider the XY, but it looks pretty big having way more movement capability that really needed... Which leaves the Cambo RS. Personally, at this point in time, this body offers everything I'd want in a tech camera -- it's relatively compact, has ample rear rise/fall and shift movements at a reasonable price and availability.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is offered with the understanding that I've tested both the Cambo WDS & WRS and own the WRS and am very happy with it.

I'm in agreement with Jack regarding movements. The WRS has all movements on the rear which makes it easy and darn near perfect for me. Two faults on the WRS (one of which has been fixed) is the inability of a sliding back and tilt-swing lens (which is now being offered). Even though there's no sliding back option for the WRS it nevertheless is still a stellar camera option especially for the price.

My final choice would be to thoroughly test each and make you decision then. You also need to keep us in the loop so we know what you end up with.

Don

BTW I like your choice of lenses (I've got the 24,35,72, and 120 and kicking around the idea of a 47)
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe you can movements can be applied to the back, not just the lens, with the addition of alpa's stiching adapter.

I was curious if you have thought about Sinar's arTec camera. Though I think you would have to go to europe to try one out, because I have not seen one here in the States to test. I would love to try this camera out along with the alpa max, arca rm3d and Cambo wide rs.

MHFA

Two month ago I bought a SINAR Artec with 23/28/45/70/135 and I am really happy for my architectural work. I hope SINAR will soon make more adapters to their camera. I think, the only reason they did not yet was Jenoptik.

Michael Heinrich

ericstaud

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    RM3D looks very promising, but I've only ever seen a demo and specs, never a production model -- but if you can find one, this may be the ultimate. I prefer all of my tech camera rise/fall and shift movements at the back for easier, seamless stitching, so that lets the Max out for me -- though if I had to go with Alpa I might consider the XY, but it looks pretty big having way more movement capability that really needed... Which leaves the Cambo RS. Personally, at this point in time, this body offers everything I'd want in a tech camera -- it's relatively compact, has ample rear rise/fall and shift movements at a reasonable price and availability.
    My Max is attached to the tripod with the supplied adapter which I keep on all the time. The back and the rest of the camera move around the lens which means stitching is very accurate.

I would add up the price of all the systems, look at lead times, and look at the maturity of systems as far as available lenses and accessories. The RM3D looks nice, but how long will it all take to get and how will the system grow would be my question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    my next purchase will be one of these... i have my idea about the model to choose, but maybe i've miss something...
    do you want a sliding back adpater? Then the Arca is the one of that three cameras that offers one (beside the arTec but you didn't ask for). Do you often have to set accurate focus closer than infinity and at wider apertures? Then the Arca is probably again the first choice.
    Alpa vs. Cambo for me is clearly the Cambo. It has basically the same capabilities but is less expensive (though the lens mounts add to the costs).
    If you think about Tilt/Shift it's again the Cambo as the upcoming TS lens panels are designed for wider lenses as the TS adapter of the Alpa.
    But - if that matters to you - the bulit quality of the Alpa is clearly superior to the Cambo. The movements, the screws... all that works extremely smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ericstaud View Post
    My Max is attached to the tripod with the supplied adapter which I keep on all the time. The back and the rest of the camera move around the lens which means stitching is very accurate.
    Thanks for that correction -- I did not realize the Max had a similar lensmount option to the XY.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a decent link to a video explaining how the alpa max works with the stitch adapter. You get the back to move and keep the lens stationary.

arappaport

I have used a Cambo Wide DS for years, and bought a Wide RS about 6 months ago. I have used these with Phase One backs (P45 and P65+). I have been tempted by various Alpa cameras, but need XY movements, and have not been impressed with the Alpa XY vs the Cambo. I use an Arca Swiss F-line 6x9 when I need tilts and swings.

I can recommend the Wide RS very highly. I do not use a sliding back on this camera, but I do occasionally use a ground-glass back. I use the 47mm and 35mm lenses, usually stopped down, so zone focus is usually sufficient. I don't love framing using a viewfinder, but the shift markings in the Cambo viewfinder work surprisingly well. I find that for most work, I do rough composition in the viewfinder, and fine-tune using the display on the back. I can confirm focus the same way. In this way, I end up with a very compact and quick camera, especially for the range of movements. I have never shot handheld with this camera, but I believe it is possible.

Here's my rundown of the pros and cons:

Pros:
    - very compact and light
    - nicely geared movements; not Arca Swiss smooth, but close
    - Rise and (some) fall
    - nicely positioned controls that work well
    - good selection of great lenses

Cons:
    - market controlled by Calumet, sometimes hard to find components
    - I've never seen adapted lenses, just the standard ones offered by Cambo

Post Thanks / Like

First, please excuse me for my poor french-english !
    don't hesitate to correct my spelling !

to be honest, i'm quite biased... being a successful arca user for years, and knowing them... i'm naturally in the process to buy a RM3D... but this will be a major investment for me, and i want to make shure that i will choose the right tool for my needs !

in the mean time, alpa's people have being always very helpfull with me, and i quite enjoy the look of their stuff... and i enjoy their website too, when i turn the sound off ;-)

Why considering Cambo as well ? because i have read many reviews from people who found that the Wide RS suite their needs perfectly...

Why not considering the sinar ? because in some occasion, you need to shoot hand held even for architecture... and the artech isn't a part of a system for now...

So, here are my previous conclusions :

if you needs 4 lenses (or needs your lenses to be mounted), and needs a digital adapter plate, a finder, and a good way to level the camera, then the prices from this cameras systems aren't far away each other... but, i'm waiting for precise quotations at the moment.

Considering tilt function : the arca is the only system that can offer it for my beloved 35 XL and shorter lenses (minimum 45 for cambo, and 85 for alpa).

Considering ground glass : the arca can use the expensive rotaslide that provides even more stitching possibilities. So you can compose the entire image with the ground glass, make the focus with the precise focus ring, and stitch with the rotaslide....

Hand held use : the nice thing with alpa, is that you can share your equipment from one body to the others... but both RS and Rm3D are still usable... and with arca, you can use you lenses on a classic LF camera !

Focusing : the arca wins, because of the precision of their own ring... but you need a laser meter... i don't trust their sonar so far, but i may be wrong !

Considering digital back adapters : Being more expensive, the Arca's one still the only one who can be calibrated (shims) for your own back, there's some variations... we are talking about microns !

About view finders, i hate all of them ;-) but now we have the DB sreen to check the final image !

The way the lens is locked to the body : in this respect, i've found the arca to be weird compares to the others.

And finally, being an owner of two f-line camera, i will be able to use my lenses (especially the normal and long ones) as well as the rotaslide on all the cameras !

But, because there is always a but... i hate the arca handles !

Unfortunately, where i live, we don't have shops as capture integration to be able to test things !
    Last edited by archivue; 13th September 2009 at 06:21.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

While Calumet might have a controlling market share for Cambo here in the US there are other sources available. I bought my WRS and all but one lens from Capture Integration who was able to meet and often times beat the pricing of Calumet. The only item I bought from Calumet was my Schneider 72mm that they had a heck of a sale on due to being an over stock item.

You can shoot handheld with either the WDS or WRS (I tested that function on both) the question is why would you?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

You can shoot handheld with either the WDS or WRS (I tested that function on both) the question is why would you ?

for example, when the perfect point of view is in the middle of the traffic...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You can shoot handheld with either the WDS or WRS (I tested that function on both) the question is why would you ?

for example, when the perfect point of view is in the middle of the traffic...
    Good point!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been shopping for a technical camera solution which provides back shift/front tilt and swing, easy focusing to back positioniong all with accurate focusing capability - the artec is the one I have decided does the best job. however it doesn't tick one important box for me - and that is it comes with a fixed specific mount design currently Hy6/Afi or V mount- soon enough Phase One mount and H mount.

However - I think the design has two basic flaws. Firstly it provides a panoramic head - but does not have the lens board centered to the tripod axis and does not have in built nodal point shooting. all this can be worked around

however the fatal flaw for me - is that I am forced to choose just one camera back mount option. This is bizarre - as the artec will outlast any back and technology changes- I would prefer the Alpa system of interchangeable adapters to mount any back onto the artec frame.

Post Thanks / Like

it happens to me twice...
    with an arca Fline : no picture
    with a Canon : picture made... but only canon quality !

smei_ch

Considering digital back adapters : Being more expensive, the Arca's one still the only one who can be calibrated (shims) for your own back, there's some variations... we are talking about microns !
    You mixed something up. The Alpa adapters are the ones that can be adjusted. And with some backs this is required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smei_ch View Post
    You mixed something up. The Alpa adapters are the ones that can be adjusted. And with some backs this is required.
    you are 100 % right !

Post Thanks / Like

it looks like, there is some wide rs sale at the moment... maybe a new one is coming with the tilt inside ? something like the wide RS 2000 ?

Post Thanks / Like

who among these three companies is bigger and more reliable?

I didn't find Cambo much cheaper than Alpa at all and I couldn't find nothing on
    Arca no websites just a few links. I would personally choose Cambo or Alpa
    simply because they have people on line to answer your question Arca seems
    mute in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

being an arca user living in france, i have no trouble to call them...
    For a complete combo
    Cambo is around 15 % cheaper than Arca
    Arca is around 15 % cheaper than Alpa

Post Thanks / Like

WOW 30% is a lot based on your list/total price, probably one extra lens or M9

do you mind PM me with Arca contacts or if you feel comfortable, you can post it here for all of us thanks

is Arca based in France?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

and the us dealers are...

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/...DealerList.pdf

i hope i will have a discount from arca ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

WOW 30% is a lot based on your list/total price, probably one extra lens or M9

or a rotaslide !

Post Thanks / Like

thank you!!

Or rotaslide indeed. I didn't know rotaslide is in that price range, that's expensive!

smei_ch

being an arca user living in france, i have no trouble to call them...
    For a complete combo
    Cambo is around 15 % cheaper than Arca
    Arca is around 15 % cheaper than Alpa
    A quick reality check:
    Arca price for 28mm Rodenstock: 6'252.-
    Alpa price for 28mm Rodenstock: 6'635.-

Where are the 30%? Better check your calculator.
    And don't forget that the Alpa lenses are individually mounted and calibrated at Rodenstock, with knowhow and equipment no tech camera maker can afford.

And please: don't come with the prices for bodies (for all three manufacturers). If you buy a MFDB and 3-4 lenses the money will be in there.
    Last edited by smei_ch; 14th September 2009 at 20:37. Reason: Addendum

Post Thanks / Like

alpa max 5500 + hand grip 960 + viewfinder 1530+ distancer 160 + mask 146+ adaptator hassy V 1065 = 9361 $
    RM3D 3950 €+ view finder 950€+ mask 100€+ hassy adapter 382€ = 5382 euros that's 7875 $
    1500 $ (excluding VAT) less for the starting kit
    and the alpa still can't offer tilt... so if you ad the tilt module, then you are at around 30% !

i wasn't talking about lens...

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my Rm3d for a few weeks now, so here's my initial take on 'likes' and 'dislikes' -- which of course are my own personal quirks and deficiencies. My interests are primarily in architecture and landscapes -- previously I used a Horseman SWD with 35 & 55mm lenses (I have 35mm & 47mm for the Rm3d -- I use a P45+ back.

1: The build quality, engineering and 'feel' are superb
    2: The movements are geared and precise
    3: It has tilt as well as shift movements
    4: The large helical focusing ring has great potential for extremely accurate focusing (but more below)
    5: The viewfinder is bright and clear, and the 'zoom' function for different lenses works well
    6: It is usable hand-held if necessary

Dislikes:
    1: Accurate focusing is a challenge (I don't use a ground glass as I believe accidents will eventually happen if I keep taking the back on and off -- and I can't afford a rotaslide, yet) -- I use a laser rangefinder (Leica Disto) to get a very accurate measure of distance to the subject and then use a table which Arca have kindly provided to translate this into a setting for the helical -- it works, but is less than ideal as I don't have good dof information (now if there were an iPhone app which took distance, the lens and f-stop and gave the helical values for precise focus and dof, that would be perfect!!).
    2: Communicating with Arca is a challenge -- as I think everyone knows they don't have a web-site and in my experience getting them to respond quickly to emails is like getting blood out of a stone -- my dealer calls them in France to get answers, but it's less than ideal.
    3: The 'tube' on the finder showing depth of field information is too fiddly and imprecise to be of practical use
    4: There isn't a firm enough 'notch' at the zero point on the shift mechanisms (though there is on the tilt which is where it really matters)
    5: I'm neutral on the handles (they're necessary!)

This is first impressions -- I'm off on a 3 week trip next week where the system will get a lot of use, so this list may well change!

Here's a jpeg of about my 10th shot with the system -- our local pier -- processed in C1, but nothing much beyond that
    Last edited by johneaton; 8th September 2013 at 18:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johneaton View Post
    I've had my Rm3d for a few weeks now, so here's my initial take on 'likes' and 'dislikes' -- which of course are my own personal quirks and deficiencies. My interests are primarily in architecture and landscapes -- previously I used a Horseman SWD with 35 & 55mm lenses (I have 35mm & 47mm for the Rm3d -- I use a P45+ back.

1: The build quality, engineering and 'feel' are superb
    2: The movements are geared and precise
    3: It has tilt as well as shift movements
    4: The large helical focusing ring has great potential for extremely accurate focusing (but more below)
    5: The viewfinder is bright and clear, and the 'zoom' function for different lenses works well
    6: It is usable hand-held if necessary

Dislikes:
    1: Accurate focusing is a challenge (I don't use a ground glass as I believe accidents will eventually happen if I keep taking the back on and off -- and I can't afford a rotaslide, yet) -- I use a laser rangefinder (Leica Disto) to get a very accurate measure of distance to the subject and then use a table which Arca have kindly provided to translate this into a setting for the helical -- it works, but is less than ideal as I don't have good dof information (now if there were an iPhone app which took distance, the lens and f-stop and gave the helical values for precise focus and dof, that would be perfect!!).
    2: Communicating with Arca is a challenge -- as I think everyone knows they don't have a web-site and in my experience getting them to respond quickly to emails is like getting blood out of a stone -- my dealer calls them in France to get answers, but it's less than ideal.
    3: The 'tube' on the finder showing depth of field information is too fiddly and imprecise to be of practical use
    4: There isn't a firm enough 'notch' at the zero point on the shift mechanisms (though there is on the tilt which is where it really matters)
    5: I'm neutral on the handles (they're necessary!)

This is first impressions -- I'm off on a 3 week trip next week where the system will get a lot of use, so this list may well change!

Here's a jpeg of about my 10th shot with the system -- our local pier -- processed in C1, but nothing much beyond that

John, nice of you to share (LV on Phase 1 could help users eliminate extra investment such as rotaslide but I'm not sure if it's on their priority list) so far even if they had LV, P1 screen is of poor quality so I can't see it in the near future unless otherwise..

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have live view as well but keep in mind :
    rotaslide provides more stitching possibilities,
    and with a groundglass you can see all the entire final image, that's much better for composition.
    so an RM3D with rotaslide give view accurate focussing with the nice helical mount and ground glass for composition... and you can have all of it + tilt... using a short lens.

only the sinat can offer the same... but no hand held shots, and no bellows for long lens.

i think i will go for the RM3D.

pupduda

May I ask, are you using film or digital back on your Arcas?
    I havent used my Arca for a couple of years, after going over to digital, and wish to come back. I worked in 6 x 9 on rollfilm. Are MF/LF photographers scanning post-develop negatives? Is that the track in these digital days?
    Many thanks for your time...

Post Thanks / Like

There's an RM3D system for sale here:

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.co...pic,793.0.html

Nick-T

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could be wrong, but aren't the movements of the arca and alpa smaller than the once on the Cambo ? That would be a main concern for me.

Another point would be that I would never want to use a sliding adapter on any such camera. I mean the great thing about them is size, if I add a sliding adapter I could start carrying around a real LF camera like I do now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I could be wrong, but aren't the movements of the arca and alpa smaller than the once on the Cambo ? That would be a main concern for me.

Another point would be that I would never want to use a sliding adapter on any such camera. I mean the great thing about them is size, if I add a sliding adapter I could start carrying around a real LF camera like I do now.

I believe we'll have an RM3D at our Atlanta studio next week. I'm hoping we'll have the time to do some Arca RM3D/Cambo RS comparisons.

We'll keep you posted.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I admit that I see this also as the biggest problem of the Artec.
    On the other side I just hope that my back will cut it for some time.
    I also hope that Sinar will offer more versions of the Artec in the future and maybe even be possible to change the connection of older Artecs to that of another back mount? I dont know if it is going to happen but it might.

On the other side I heard that avoiding an adapter helps regarding the precission of the ArTec.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I have been shopping for a technical camera solution which provides back shift/front tilt and swing, easy focusing to back positioniong all with accurate focusing capability - the artec is the one I have decided does the best job. however it doesn't tick one important box for me - and that is it comes with a fixed specific mount design currently Hy6/Afi or V mount- soon enough Phase One mount and H mount.

However - I think the design has two basic flaws. Firstly it provides a panoramic head - but does not have the lens board centered to the tripod axis and does not have in built nodal point shooting. all this can be worked around

however the fatal flaw for me - is that I am forced to choose just one camera back mount option. This is bizarre - as the artec will outlast any back and technology changes- I would prefer the Alpa system of interchangeable adapters to mount any back onto the artec frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    i have the alpa max and the XY. in fact, i'd like to sell the XY since on travels the max is so much more comfortable. please drop me an email if you are interested.
    i did try the cambo and found it less 'precise' than the alpas. but this may be a personal opinion without scientific backing. in any case the support which alpa provides me with is fantastic. wonderful people, completely dedicated to photography.
    peter

Post Thanks / Like

I played with the arca at Capture Integration today. I found the focusing to be a real challenge compared to my old wide DS. That being said, most of my work is wide angle and stopped down, so I'm sure zone focusing would be just fine in the "real" world. I also have some concerns that it seems like it could be very easy to cross thread the lens mount when changing lenses, which would pretty much destroy the camera, I would guess. Other than that, I thought it was a really neat system. Love the fact that you can add some bellows, rail and rear standard and have a view camera....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    you need more movements ? then you have the alpa XY and the arca RL3D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by markowich View Post
    i did try the cambo and found it less 'precise' than the alpas. but this may be a personal opinion without scientific backing.
    I don't think the Cambos are really less accurate (they are manufacturing the cameras within tolerances of 1/100mm... and so Alpa, Sinar, Arca... do AFAIK). But the materials Cambo is using feel less valuable (and maybe they are). The actual body, the screws... all that feels much better on an Alpa or the arTec than on a Cambo. Than again, it's just a camera to put your digi back on and as long as it "delivers" that's not so important. Well, at least not to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not sure that the cable release adapter really needs to be gold plated.
    just saying...
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the difference between the Cambo and Alpa isn't that big as I thought. (I had 15 vs 20 to the side in mind but it is 18 vs 20)

I'll try again both cameras early next year and see what I'll get. Perhaps I'll even get to try the arca. I just have to keep on mind, that the ALPA system is certainly more expensive, compared to the cambo. Quite bit more. Does somebody know what the actually difference between the Rm3d and RL3D is ? Besides larger movements. Price difference ?

eiaa

Bob, I guess there is some other reason why the shutter releases are gold plated. Below zero degrees and your skin adheres to most metals, except GLD.

Post Thanks / Like

Does somebody know what the actually difference between the Rm3d and RL3D is ? Besides larger movements. Price difference ?
    around 700 euros

Post Thanks / Like

you also have to test flare resistance !

Post Thanks / Like

The difference, as I was told by Martin at the show, is the Rm3d was designed for digital and the RL3d was designed for either digital or film, up to 4x5

Post Thanks / Like

the RM3D can be used with 6x9 also !

Done ! I've bought the RM3D... the RL3D was too big for me !
    My final choice considering lenses was to have my existing 35XL, 45 sironar digital and 90 sironar digital mounted to start.

the 45 and 90 offers both a large image circle that will cover my stitching needs with my aptus 22 and fat pixels !

i could have wait for the next 43 digitar, but for economical reason, and due to the fact that my current back is only 22Mp, i went for the 45.

I had to buy a need roll film back adaptor because they change the focus plane position... they call it N type.

at least, no more trouble with wide angles !

it cost a lot, but this is the most versatile camera from the bunch of technical cameras.

the only thing i don't like is the fact that the rotaslide isn't easy to pack !

;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've bought the RM3D...
    Congratulations - have fun with this excellent and really beautifully made camera!