Site Sponsors

Thread: Need emergency phase one battery help!!

rastas

Need emergency phase one battery help!!

Any of you ever experience this:

I shipped my Phase One P25 back along with batteries and charger from west coast to east coast. The receiver on east coast just tried to use the back on his hassy V series, but is having issues.

He can use it fine in tethered mode, but when he puts a battery in, the battery icon on camera blinks. When he takes a picture, he gets an error message saying "battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

He had them charging for more than three hours. One battery on charger says 75%, the other says 100%, but he still gets this problem.

Could the batteries somehow have gotten depleted during shipment? (went air, sent in that pelican case....

Any insight appreciated.
    RObert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Need emergency phase one battery help!!

Something does not sound right,
    but the charger might need to be reset.
    Take the batteries out of the charger, unplug the power brick from the charger,
    wait 15 seconds or so, plug the brick back into the charger, then plug the batteries into the charger.
    DO NOT plug the charger in to its power brick when batteries are installed in the charger. Sometimes it gets confused.
    -bob

rastas

I'll have him try that Bob. Thanks. Hopefully it will work.

rastas

Didn't work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Call Doug Peterson
    DOUG! HELLLPPPP!

rastas

A new battery, bought today, was charged on charger, put in back after it reached 100%, but still get a blinking low battery icon. Anyone?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tryed cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

rastas

He cleaned both contacts on all batteries, and the back itself with qtip. Both were clean. He bought new battery, charged it to 100 percent, and still the battery icon on back blinks, showing empty.

Could the charger be damaging batteries somehow? Back works fine in tethered mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like a problem with the battery contacts on the back -- even if they're clean they could have failed internally... Stupid question, but you are sure he's inserting the battery fully into the back?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

rastas

He says battery is going into the back correctly, but I'll have him check again. He cleaned contacts on batteries and back with qtip, no residue whatsoever - clean. the back is like new..... this is literally a $6400 question. Anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few other thoughts:

First: In the menu, you can set the back to be powered from the battery or "AUTOdetect." I assume it's currently set to AUTO, but wonder what happens if he manually chooses battery?

Second thought: What happens if he removes the back from his camera body? Will the back power up with the battery? If so, it could be an issue with his body interfering with the back pins.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

rastas

That didn't work Jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then it sounds like a back that's got a DOA battery connection issue and probably needs to go back to Phase for repair. Sorry.
    Jack

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a defective battery - it doesn't retain its charge data.

Edit: multiple batteries... then it's the charger not writing info to the battery correctly, or the camera failing to read it.

Paul Hill

People have missed a key point.

The back powers up using any of the three batteries. All of the menu functions work. However, the battery icon in the lower center of the screen on the starting menu always blinks and contains no bars. Whenever the back is fired for a capture, the back displays battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

If the back is turned on when the back is not mounted on the camera, the battery icon still is empty and flashes.

The camera is a Hasselblad 503. The only electrical contact between the back and camera is via the sync cord. Three different sync cords have been tried. Two of the sync cords are known to work with a Phase One H20.

The back functions correctly when used in tethered mode.

If the backlight is set to always on, and the camera is left on for an hour, doing nothing, the battery will show drainage. I drained one of the batteries from 100% to 30% by doing this. I then recharged the battery to 100% and put it into the back. There was no change in behavior.

Paul Hill

Note: when the back is not in tethered mode, the only power option is "autodetect". The only time the operator has a chance to force the battery to be used is when the camera is tethered via firewire.

I have a powered firewire connection, not a 4 pin to 6 pin connection. Therefore according to Phase One documentation I should NOT attempt to force the back to use the battery, nor have I done so.

marcmccalmont

I would try a Qtip with deoxit on the digital back battery contacts
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul, looks like it has nothing to do with the battery. I think it needs to go back to the mothership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rastas View Post
    Any of you ever experience this:

I shipped my Phase One P25 back along with batteries and charger from west coast to east coast. The receiver on east coast just tried to use the back on his hassy V series, but is having issues.

He can use it fine in tethered mode, but when he puts a battery in, the battery icon on camera blinks. When he takes a picture, he gets an error message saying "battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

He had them charging for more than three hours. One battery on charger says 75%, the other says 100%, but he still gets this problem.

Could the batteries somehow have gotten depleted during shipment? (went air, sent in that pelican case....

Any insight appreciated.
    RObert

First off, the P25 back does not have an option for telling the camera to use auto detect, battery. This was a problem with this back when used with laptops and Apple started regulating the power on the firewire bus. Best option for this is the Capture Integration firewire cable adapter that fools the camera from getting the power and forces it to use the battery instead. The Plus series backs and the P30 and P45, and P21 all had this featured but not the P25.

There was also a firmware update that fixed a bug when you would insert a fully charged battery, the battery indicator would blink like it was empty and
    needed to be charged. This was an issue I ran into with many customers.

So if it shoots tethered, then the backs works fine. Never seen one do that and not work with battery on board unless the battery is dead or shorted as Jack mentioned. It is one of these 2 things. Have him check the version of firmware by going to about in P1 back menu and see what the latest back firmware version you can download and see if that fixes the use of the battery on this back.

Chris Snipes
    Phase One Reseller Florida
    Image Productions, Inc
    150 22nd Street South
    St Petersburg, FL 33712

727-823-8909 Studio
    813-335-2473 Cell

www.imageproduction.com
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Sorry that I was not able to troubleshoot your issue, but hopefully Doug Peterson will be able to assist you. I know that you after we spoke yesterday that he was going to contact you and help you with you issue.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

RSS Feed: Subscribe[/f

Paul Hill

The back does have the latest firmware installed. The batteries have now been tested in a different Phase One back and all worked correctly.

Cambridge Calumet has concluded that the back must be serviced by Phase One.

Thank you all for the suggestions and support.

Paul

Paul Hill

One final note...

Do not ship a Phase One back with a battery in place. Always remove the battery before packaging for shipment.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hill View Post
    People have missed a key point.

The back powers up using any of the three batteries. All of the menu functions work. However, the battery icon in the lower center of the screen on the starting menu always blinks and contains no bars. Whenever the back is fired for a capture, the back displays battery level low: Capture cancelled" and no capture is saved.

If the back is turned on when the back is not mounted on the camera, the battery icon still is empty and flashes.

The camera is a Hasselblad 503. The only electrical contact between the back and camera is via the sync cord. Three different sync cords have been tried. Two of the sync cords are known to work with a Phase One H20.

The back functions correctly when used in tethered mode.

If the backlight is set to always on, and the camera is left on for an hour, doing nothing, the battery will show drainage. I drained one of the batteries from 100% to 30% by doing this. I then recharged the battery to 100% and put it into the back. There was no change in behavior.
    It sounds like the internal battery circuitry (which both distributes the charge of the battery as well as monitors it's charge level to prevent lost captures) is kaput and needs service.

Dozens of users here and thousands elsewhere will attest that Phase One backs are extremely reliable (no moving parts related to capture - rock solid software and firmware) and long lasting (well made); but anything can break.

A firmware update is very unlikely to help. The problem Chris Snipes refers to was/is a problem (very occasional) that would cause this symptom - but that problem could be cured by [Menu > Configuration > Restore Defaults] - which I know was already done in this case - to no effect. Chris should be commended for excellent knowledge of that rare problem, but it (very likely) does not apply here.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hill View Post
    Do not ship a Phase One back with a battery in place. Always remove the battery before packaging for shipment.
    Absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I personally don't even keep the battery on the back when I'm carrying my kit in a camera bag.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe I better change my routine
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maybe I better change my routine
    I agree Guy especially based on the wallet story
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I routinely keep a battery in my P45+ (attached to the WRS). My kit also says in a well padded pelican case. Now I'm rethinking the battery angle for when it's in the back of the jeep and on (or off) the road. No problems so far however why tempt fate...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I too routinely travel with the battery inserted in my P45+. While I will heed the advice given here, why should it cause a problem?

Or am I just dumb? (Don't answer that- it's a rhetorical question.)

Bil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking that shipping vs traveling with gives a totally different set of problems. When shipping an item that item no matter how well boxed is left to the urges of all those who handle the box. Reminds me of an old suitcase commercial that showed gorillas acting as baggage handlers.

We on the other hand will normally have our kits in a well padded/protected case while traveling by vehicle and "might" get away from the stress that normall shipping might present.

I do the great majority of my traveling by vehicle and in the case of the Alaska trip it was a 4x4 pickup with a slide in camper. That setup took us 10K miles round trip from Tucson traveling the ALCAN and later the Haul Road and the entire time a battery was connected in my P30+ and either in a case or on a seat without any troubles. Since returning from Alaska I've upgraded to a P45+ and now routinely travel in a jeep with a good majority off road - again with the battery attached (tucked in a pelican case).

All this notwithstanding I am beginning to believe I've stretched Murphy's Law to it's limit and unless someone can tell be otherwise I just might begin to remove the battery.

Here's a thought that just popped into my somewhat feeble brain..since 9/11 a lot of what is being shipped is being x-rayed or otherwise inspected. Could this inspection be the heart of the problem? Might having a battery attached while in shipment get an overdose of electricity that causes all hell to break loose?

In the end I might keep the battery in my back while I have direct control over it however I'd remove it if I had to ship it. I might be so anal as to ship the batteries separately.

And no Bill you aren't dumb.....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm with Guy, Bill and Don -- I routinely travel with the battery in the back. In fact, I leave a battery in my back at all times... I guess if I shipped it though, i would remove it first.
    Jack