Site Sponsors

Thread: Basic Prime Line-up (mamiya)

Shelby Lewis

Basic Prime Line-up (mamiya)

Well, looks like funding with the small clothing company i work for is finally coming through... so MF seems to be in the near future.

So... on full frame 35mm I love to shoot at 35mm (sometimes 50mm and 85mm), and especially 135mm.

I'm looking at the p30+ on an Phamiya body and was wondering what people thought of the AF 210/4 ULD. It's priced nicely and is right around the focal length I like to shoot headshots (and some full length fashion if the "compression" effect is sought).

Like most, I'll get the 80mm, and maybe something wider.

Budget is a concern, as always, but I'd be interested in thoughts on good (affordable?) longer lenses, and maybe one wider prime. No zooms please (at least at this time)

Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Basic Prime Line-up (mamiya)

The 210/4 is an unsung hero - sharp, compact and a great lens. I love mine and carry it especially when I don't want the weight of the 300 Apo. The 210 is sharp at full aperture.
    Good luck!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 210/4 ULD is a great lens. Surprisingly though, a good copy of the 105-210 is nearly as good at about the same price if you like the idea of a zoom.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Grab Jack's Mamiya 35mm if you want wide (see, http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10393 ); The 35mm is my favorite of the wides though i wish Mam/Phase would reissue a D series here; 55mm is sharp; definitely grab the 150mm...it's a steal right now

Or just take your punches now and pick up some D series lenses....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ken,

Yes Shelby, IF you want a wide I have an outstanding copy of the 35AF listed in the B&S right now. Note that on the P30+ or P40+, all the extreme corner issues are cropped out and so moot, so this lens will be as good as any on the smaller sensor! On the P30/40 crop sensor, this lens is equivalent to a 28 focal length.

FWIW, your 80 will be roughly a 63, the 150 a 120 and the 210 a 165...

One thing to keep in mind is that the aspect ratio of the MF format being 4:3 as opposed to 35 being 3:2 -- I have found that I tend to prefer a little wider equivalent focals with MF than I do with 35 because of this. Of course YMMV...

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Shelby Lewis

Thanks a lot for the advice... and thanks Jack for the focal length conversions. I was doing a little "guesstimation" and was pretty close, but not quite there. I do think I'm going to shoot for the 80, 210, 35, and maybe the 150 to start with. Given what I do, at a minimum I'll be rollin' with the 80 and 210 at first.

Ken... I have no punches left to take! (wanna send me some more capital?)

Jack... good thoughts on the zoom. It is tempting. I've been a prime shooter for so long, though, that I can't ever get a feel for the perspective a lens is going to give me when using a zoom. I just "feel" how a 50 (or 85, or 200, or 35, or whatever) will cover the scene before me, and I just can't get that with a zoom (personally).

Ah... but zooms would save me a ton of exercising by not having to zoom with my feet, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For headshots and people I use a 150 more than the 210
    My vote for 3 lens, shooting people would be (55,80,150)
    My 2C

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the P30+ I use 28,45, 80, 150 all D lenses and than a 300mm AF 4.5. The 150 is the portrait lens but a 210 I would most likely like better . For the compression and i don't like to be on top of someone. Less intimating. The 150 also is just a little too sharp for portraits. Those words usually never come out of my mouth and that is too sharp.

I would actually like to move up to the P40+ just because I am a pig. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby,

I have the 35, 45, 55, 80, 120 macro D, 150, and 210 ULD. Purchasing used, an 80, 150 and 210 will be surprisingly affordable, and a great kit for portraits. The 55 is also a good lens and quite reasonable. The 35 tends to go for a bit more than the preceding four, and is a bit challenged in the corners, but on a P30+ that would be minimized. I find it quite serviceable even on the 1.1 crop sensor, but my uses for the 35 typically don't include wide aperture. I often shoot the other 80+mm lenses wide open.

I'd put your money towards the back that best suits your needs and buy a set of used pre-D lenses (if budget is a factor). Then swap out for the new gen. D's as budget allows. And you could mix in a manual Hassey or two as well (with adapter – thinking of the 110 f/2).

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby,

Please take a look and utilize our Capture Integation Focal Length Calculator. It will help guide you to what prime lenses you may want. It's a handy little tool.

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

RSS Feed: Subscribe[/font]

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Clawery View Post
    Shelby,

Please take a look and utilize our Capture Integation Focal Length Calculator. It will help guide you to what prime lenses you may want. It's a handy little tool.

[font="Arial"]Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
    Dale already beat you to it

Very handy, indeed. Confirmed my expectations that the 210, 150, 80 and 35 are going to be go-to lenses for my purposes. Probably starting with the 80 and 210.