The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D with new "True Focus/Absolute Position Lock" feature

Also Phocus 2.0...

- User configurable, save-able, and exportable(!) layout presets. Can be shared amongst peers or used to streamline the interface.
- 'Triggers'. ie Connect a CF card and the interface will switch to any of your layouts (For example, Import tools etc etc). Or connect a camera and have the interface switch ot your own predefined layout and setup an adjustment - ready to go
- Floatable tool Palettes
- Which includes the Navigator tool, can be resized and used as a Loupe.
- Tethered capture interrupt - ie Shoot tethered and work with images simultaneously

More to come - we are still at our Partner Meeting!

LJL

Scratch this....got my conversions wrong.....

However, the H4D-50 is coming it at S2 price range (Platinum version)....and the H4D-60 is not all that much more, especially considering the Hassy system is pretty complete with respect to glass, HTS device, etc.

Makes one stop and rethink the MF options again.....
LJ

Last edited:

woodyspedden

I agree that these two offerings are something to be considered.

Still I think Hassy is fundamentally a studio system so for folks like me who shoot primarily landscapes the S2 makes more sense what with the size, weight and of course the weather sealing. Foggy mornings in Yosemite valley really makes one yearn for a rugged camera. JMHO and your mileage and opinions may vary

Woody

Oren Grad

These cameras are way beyond my budget, I'm afraid. But I was pleasantly surprised for a change to see someone announce a feature that's genuinely new and different, not just an incremental development of existing features, however worthwhile that may be. I'll be looking forward to learning more about how - and how well - the new focus correction works.

R

Ranger 9

Holy kack -- a photo-technology idea that's both actually new and (maybe) genuinely useful!

I say this fresh from the unpleasant experience yesterday of shooting a couple of hundred frames of executive headshots, of which as many as about one-fourth -- despite my carefully locking focus on the eyes -- actually had the plane of best focus back around the sideburns. (The difference is only about an inch, but it's painfully noticeable once you start looking for it.) It's not the first time that's happened, either. Now at last I have a sensible explanation why!

I hope this technology trickles down quickly to less-expensive camera systems. Since solid-state accelerometers are already a fixture in everything from iPhones to game controllers, the hardware couldn't be that expensive to add...

Graham Mitchell

Interesting, but you are still at the mercy of the accuracy of the AF system. The ultimate focus system will be one which uses the actual sensor to measure adjacent pixel contrast and show you exactly where the focus really is.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Holy trigonometry, batman!
Very cool concept.
Can I trade-in my Z4 for one of these plus a scooter? :ROTFL:
-bob

Holy trigonometry, batman!
Very cool concept.
Can I trade-in my Z4 for one of these plus a scooter? :ROTFL:
-bob
Ha ha. Trigonometry indeed.

I am glad for the positive responses here. Thankyou!

Tougher crowd over on LL. Phew.

Anyway, I would like to think it shows we are innovation and not simply giving up on improving AF systems for medium format.

fotografz

This is EXACTLY what I was waiting for!

If this works (and I doubt they would say it did if it didn't because it would put them directly out of business.) That and 60 meg ... Holy Moly Macaroni!

Although not recommended, I've shot my H3Ds in blinding snow storms, early morning fog, wind whipped beach sand, and once was shooting a wedding where we got caught in a monsoon down pour that soaked me down to my under-drawers in less than 10 seconds ... and the H cameras never skipped a beat. Something to be said for tight tolerances I guess. After that I never worried about a light mist.

The S2 just got bumped off the consideration list. 60 meg full frame is now my goal. This solution to the Medium Format AF issue is fantastic !!!!

Let's see what Hassy has in mind when they say there will be considerations for current H3D/39 owners.

-Marc

D

ddk

Amazing, the S2 is obsolete before its even out the door! Now I really wonder how they're going to compete against this 50mp package without either dropping their pants or coming up with a 50mp S3 fast; either way S2 is off my shopping list now...

fotografz

Amazing, the S2 is obsolete before its even out the door! Now I really wonder how they're going to compete against this 50mp package without either dropping their pants or coming up with a 50mp S3 fast; either way S2 is off my shopping list now...
Oh, I don't think I'd say that. For many people, the form factor of the S2 is alluring. Replaces most DSLR needs, and creeps up into MFD resolution ... then there are the lenses which will account for a lot.

But anyone that uses MFD knows the AF issues quite well, and this is useful technology born directly from that philosophy of integration Hassey has taken a beating for in the past. So it seems like something Leica could implement in the S2 also.

LJL

Not sure I would go so far as to take it off my list, but the thought that there are some other technologies that may prove to be very useful (I say "may", as it still remains to be proven in use), is something that the S2 may not be able to easily incorporate without reverting to new versions, just as the H3DII is becoming the H4D. In a sense, swapping the S2 body is no different than swapping the H3DII body and back, but my guess would be that the Hassy swap is going to cost a whole lot less in that transaction.

There still is the difference in sensor size and total MP used for the imaging. If you really need more MP, you are not going to get there with the S2. Not saying the 37.5MP of the S2 are not enough....in fact, that may be plenty for a great many users. However, for those that really do need more for landscapes, detailed studio shooting, big commercial shoots, etc., the 50-60MP Hassy solution is going to be hard to ignore.

Further, Hassy seems to be pretty serious about Phocus. If they get it even close to C1 or Aperture or Lightroom for overall utility and performance, it will be quite something. Right now, it is for Hassy files, with corrections and all that other good stuff. But it is also free, not just to Hassy folks, but to others to be able to make better use of Hassy files. While LR theoretically will be doing the same for the S2 files, until it gets some seriously good profiles, improves its conversion, and is able to handle all the other important camera/lens information like Phocus can do for Hassy, or C1 is starting to do more of for Phase bodies, it will remain a capable, but more generalist app. What would be great is for Hassy to open Phocus up to handle other files also, but that may take away from it more dedicated purpose, and lets face it, Hassy wants folks to shoot and use Hassy gear.

So, this latest H4D has a lot of attractiveness going for it. Wonder what other tweaks have gone into upgrading/improving things? Has the LCD gotten any better? Has it picked up any speed for frame rate? (Not sure that part would be easy at all....pushing 50-60MP files is quite a bit.) Any other changes that Hassy users have wanted or been asking about? Right now it seems like just the H3DII body with the new accelerometer and firmware to make it work. Any other news that may have been overlooked?

LJ

D

ddk

Oh, I don't think I'd say that. For many people, the form factor of the S2 is alluring. Replaces most DSLR needs, and creeps up into MFD resolution ... then there are the lenses which will account for a lot.

But anyone that uses MFD knows the AF issues quite well, and this is useful technology born directly from that philosophy of integration Hassey has taken a beating for in the past. So it seems like something Leica could implement in the S2 also.
I agree with you regarding the form factor and the lenses (which are incomplete for now), that's why I was interested and there's always the allure of the red dot. But this is still MF, the rules of engagement are very different to a forgiving and flexible 35mm dslr. Even forgetting about the AF technology for now, a 50mp system at the price of a P25+ of a year ago, well...

I don't know about you Marc but I'm already taking quite a beating on my Leaf backs and I'm sure that others are too. There's no way I'm going to consider a 30+ mp camera system today with no future upgradability, limited lenses and no track record in this market when a 50mp or even a 60mp system can be had for the same PRICE from an already established brand with a very complete line up of high quality lenses, dedicated software, easy access, flexibility for future upgrades and usage on different types of tech and large format cameras just for form factor and a red dot.

Oren Grad

Interesting, but you are still at the mercy of the accuracy of the AF system.
I'd imagine the accuracy and precision of both the sensing and the actuating components is going to have to be pretty extreme to make this work well. But it doesn't have to be perfect to have value - only to be noticeably better than existing approaches to that particular problem. Here's hoping...

LJL

David,
I do think that a lot does depend on what you need and use the MF system for. I agree with the idea that Hasselblads are probably among the most widely used MF systems out there, and they are at least trying new technologies and attempting to deliver on those within reasonable timeframes. Lot to be said for that. (BTW, saw on another forum posting that live video will be delivered to the H3DII-50 in October, and be incorporated in all Hassy stuff going forward, meaning the H4D.) They are also the most complete "system" for MF solutions at this point. Again, that may not matter too much to folks that only need a body and a lens or two, which is where the S2 does have a lot of potential.

I surely would not write off the S2 as a more ergonomic offering (more 35mm DSLR type for shooting), and the Leica lenses do have a lot of attractiveness, but it will remain a more limited "system" for some time to come, even if it does get some traction. Hasselblad seems (I say seems and we only have what we see delivered and supported to go on) to be much more in tune and responsive to MF shooter's needs at this point. The entire marketplace is still in a lot of flux, but Hassy seems to be dealing with it on many fronts with more responsiveness than others have been or may be able to going forward. Again, lot to be said for that.

LJ