Re: H4D with new "True Focus/Absolute Position Lock" feature

Pretty interesting concept.

Jordan_Miller

Official Hasseblad Press:

Post Thanks / Like

Also Phocus 2.0...

- User configurable, save-able, and exportable(!) layout presets. Can be shared amongst peers or used to streamline the interface.
    - 'Triggers'. ie Connect a CF card and the interface will switch to any of your layouts (For example, Import tools etc etc). Or connect a camera and have the interface switch ot your own predefined layout and setup an adjustment - ready to go
    - Floatable tool Palettes
    - Which includes the Navigator tool, can be resized and used as a Loupe.
    - Tethered capture interrupt - ie Shoot tethered and work with images simultaneously

More to come - we are still at our Partner Meeting!

Post Thanks / Like

There will be a short video later on showing the 3D accelerometer present in the H4D.

Think Nintendo Wii etc etc!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch this....got my conversions wrong.....

However, the H4D-50 is coming it at S2 price range (Platinum version)....and the H4D-60 is not all that much more, especially considering the Hassy system is pretty complete with respect to glass, HTS device, etc.

Makes one stop and rethink the MF options again.....
    LJ
    Last edited by LJL; 25th September 2009 at 14:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that these two offerings are something to be considered.

Still I think Hassy is fundamentally a studio system so for folks like me who shoot primarily landscapes the S2 makes more sense what with the size, weight and of course the weather sealing. Foggy mornings in Yosemite valley really makes one yearn for a rugged camera. JMHO and your mileage and opinions may vary

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

These cameras are way beyond my budget, I'm afraid. But I was pleasantly surprised for a change to see someone announce a feature that's genuinely new and different, not just an incremental development of existing features, however worthwhile that may be. I'll be looking forward to learning more about how - and how well - the new focus correction works.

Ranger 9

Holy kack -- a photo-technology idea that's both actually new and (maybe) genuinely useful!

I say this fresh from the unpleasant experience yesterday of shooting a couple of hundred frames of executive headshots, of which as many as about one-fourth -- despite my carefully locking focus on the eyes -- actually had the plane of best focus back around the sideburns. (The difference is only about an inch, but it's painfully noticeable once you start looking for it.) It's not the first time that's happened, either. Now at last I have a sensible explanation why!

I hope this technology trickles down quickly to less-expensive camera systems. Since solid-state accelerometers are already a fixture in everything from iPhones to game controllers, the hardware couldn't be that expensive to add...

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, but you are still at the mercy of the accuracy of the AF system. The ultimate focus system will be one which uses the actual sensor to measure adjacent pixel contrast and show you exactly where the focus really is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holy trigonometry, batman!
    Very cool concept.
    Can I trade-in my Z4 for one of these plus a scooter?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Holy trigonometry, batman!
    Very cool concept.
    Can I trade-in my Z4 for one of these plus a scooter?
    -bob
    Ha ha. Trigonometry indeed.

I am glad for the positive responses here. Thankyou!

Tougher crowd over on LL. Phew.

Anyway, I would like to think it shows we are innovation and not simply giving up on improving AF systems for medium format.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is EXACTLY what I was waiting for!

If this works (and I doubt they would say it did if it didn't because it would put them directly out of business.) That and 60 meg ... Holy Moly Macaroni!

Although not recommended, I've shot my H3Ds in blinding snow storms, early morning fog, wind whipped beach sand, and once was shooting a wedding where we got caught in a monsoon down pour that soaked me down to my under-drawers in less than 10 seconds ... and the H cameras never skipped a beat. Something to be said for tight tolerances I guess. After that I never worried about a light mist.

The S2 just got bumped off the consideration list. 60 meg full frame is now my goal. This solution to the Medium Format AF issue is fantastic !!!!

Let's see what Hassy has in mind when they say there will be considerations for current H3D/39 owners.

-Marc

ddk

Amazing, the S2 is obsolete before its even out the door! Now I really wonder how they're going to compete against this 50mp package without either dropping their pants or coming up with a 50mp S3 fast; either way S2 is off my shopping list now...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Amazing, the S2 is obsolete before its even out the door! Now I really wonder how they're going to compete against this 50mp package without either dropping their pants or coming up with a 50mp S3 fast; either way S2 is off my shopping list now...
    Oh, I don't think I'd say that. For many people, the form factor of the S2 is alluring. Replaces most DSLR needs, and creeps up into MFD resolution ... then there are the lenses which will account for a lot.

But anyone that uses MFD knows the AF issues quite well, and this is useful technology born directly from that philosophy of integration Hassey has taken a beating for in the past. So it seems like something Leica could implement in the S2 also.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I would go so far as to take it off my list, but the thought that there are some other technologies that may prove to be very useful (I say "may", as it still remains to be proven in use), is something that the S2 may not be able to easily incorporate without reverting to new versions, just as the H3DII is becoming the H4D. In a sense, swapping the S2 body is no different than swapping the H3DII body and back, but my guess would be that the Hassy swap is going to cost a whole lot less in that transaction.

There still is the difference in sensor size and total MP used for the imaging. If you really need more MP, you are not going to get there with the S2. Not saying the 37.5MP of the S2 are not enough....in fact, that may be plenty for a great many users. However, for those that really do need more for landscapes, detailed studio shooting, big commercial shoots, etc., the 50-60MP Hassy solution is going to be hard to ignore.

Further, Hassy seems to be pretty serious about Phocus. If they get it even close to C1 or Aperture or Lightroom for overall utility and performance, it will be quite something. Right now, it is for Hassy files, with corrections and all that other good stuff. But it is also free, not just to Hassy folks, but to others to be able to make better use of Hassy files. While LR theoretically will be doing the same for the S2 files, until it gets some seriously good profiles, improves its conversion, and is able to handle all the other important camera/lens information like Phocus can do for Hassy, or C1 is starting to do more of for Phase bodies, it will remain a capable, but more generalist app. What would be great is for Hassy to open Phocus up to handle other files also, but that may take away from it more dedicated purpose, and lets face it, Hassy wants folks to shoot and use Hassy gear.

So, this latest H4D has a lot of attractiveness going for it. Wonder what other tweaks have gone into upgrading/improving things? Has the LCD gotten any better? Has it picked up any speed for frame rate? (Not sure that part would be easy at all....pushing 50-60MP files is quite a bit.) Any other changes that Hassy users have wanted or been asking about? Right now it seems like just the H3DII body with the new accelerometer and firmware to make it work. Any other news that may have been overlooked?

LJ

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Oh, I don't think I'd say that. For many people, the form factor of the S2 is alluring. Replaces most DSLR needs, and creeps up into MFD resolution ... then there are the lenses which will account for a lot.

But anyone that uses MFD knows the AF issues quite well, and this is useful technology born directly from that philosophy of integration Hassey has taken a beating for in the past. So it seems like something Leica could implement in the S2 also.
    I agree with you regarding the form factor and the lenses (which are incomplete for now), that's why I was interested and there's always the allure of the red dot. But this is still MF, the rules of engagement are very different to a forgiving and flexible 35mm dslr. Even forgetting about the AF technology for now, a 50mp system at the price of a P25+ of a year ago, well...

I don't know about you Marc but I'm already taking quite a beating on my Leaf backs and I'm sure that others are too. There's no way I'm going to consider a 30+ mp camera system today with no future upgradability, limited lenses and no track record in this market when a 50mp or even a 60mp system can be had for the same PRICE from an already established brand with a very complete line up of high quality lenses, dedicated software, easy access, flexibility for future upgrades and usage on different types of tech and large format cameras just for form factor and a red dot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Interesting, but you are still at the mercy of the accuracy of the AF system.
    I'd imagine the accuracy and precision of both the sensing and the actuating components is going to have to be pretty extreme to make this work well. But it doesn't have to be perfect to have value - only to be noticeably better than existing approaches to that particular problem. Here's hoping...

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    I do think that a lot does depend on what you need and use the MF system for. I agree with the idea that Hasselblads are probably among the most widely used MF systems out there, and they are at least trying new technologies and attempting to deliver on those within reasonable timeframes. Lot to be said for that. (BTW, saw on another forum posting that live video will be delivered to the H3DII-50 in October, and be incorporated in all Hassy stuff going forward, meaning the H4D.) They are also the most complete "system" for MF solutions at this point. Again, that may not matter too much to folks that only need a body and a lens or two, which is where the S2 does have a lot of potential.

I surely would not write off the S2 as a more ergonomic offering (more 35mm DSLR type for shooting), and the Leica lenses do have a lot of attractiveness, but it will remain a more limited "system" for some time to come, even if it does get some traction. Hasselblad seems (I say seems and we only have what we see delivered and supported to go on) to be much more in tune and responsive to MF shooter's needs at this point. The entire marketplace is still in a lot of flux, but Hassy seems to be dealing with it on many fronts with more responsiveness than others have been or may be able to going forward. Again, lot to be said for that.

LJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I agree with you regarding the form factor and the lenses (which are incomplete for now), that's why I was interested and there's always the allure of the red dot. But this is still MF, the rules of engagement are very different to a forgiving and flexible 35mm dslr. Even forgetting about the AF technology for now, a 50mp system at the price of a P25+ of a year ago, well...

I don't know about you Marc but I'm already taking quite a beating on my Leaf backs and I'm sure that others are too. There's no way I'm going to consider a 30+ mp camera system today with no future upgradability, limited lenses and no track record in this market when a 50mp or even a 60mp system can be had for the same PRICE from an already established brand with a very complete line up of high quality lenses, dedicated software, easy access, flexibility for future upgrades and usage on different types of tech and large format cameras just for form factor and a red dot.
    Well, since I already have a full compliment of HC lenses and the ability to use every CF, CFi and CFE Zeiss lens (including a 40mm CFE IF) on a FF 60 meg H camera without stop down anything ... and my Rollei Xact-II is set up for H mount use ... it's looking VERY attractive.

I believe the H3D 50 meg back (and maybe the 60 meg back) already was faster than the 39. The only other news recently was the shipping of the 50 meg Multi-shot ... which got my attention until this news broke. I like working spontaneously and quickly on location, and the AF innovation is a BIG one IMO. Hassey usually has had other little unheralded improvements in handling and function with each new model, but tends to concentrate on marketing the bigger news item. We'll see.

Can't wait to see what they have done with Phocus.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This does sound like a very nice feature. I have used focus and recompose on basically every camera I have ever used -- from manual focus SLR's and rangefinders to autofocus medium format and even the D3 -- the reason is because I want to tell the camera exactly what I am interested in focusing on, but I do not want to mess about choosing a focus point. If this can take that identification of the focus point and then accurately remap the focus for the given recomposition, I think that is a really nice feature. It makes sense that they focused on it too -- as resolution increases, those minor focus discrepancies start to show up more clearly in the final photo.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Hm...

great nice feature and I do not doubt a second that it will work properly!

Actually I was kind of waiting for something like that from Hassi after the intro of the S2. They were not only up to kill the S System with pricing, but also with some great new technologies. And 50 or 60MP combined with that nice new AF and the new features in Phocus becomes a real show stopper for the Leica, especially if one considers the pricing and the upgradability of the system and the matureness of the whole existing Hasselblad stuff.

One thing which somehow stops me from jumping again on the Hasselblad favoring train is that I am still waiting for the new Phase camera to come and for their new LS lenses. And that the size of the Hassi is of course much more than the size of the S2.

But finally for landscape work (which I am mainly doing) I think that a H4D with 40MP back and 3 0r 4 lenses and an HTS1.5 should be the winning solution. And also one could use the back on a tech camera too - if you need this after owning the HTS

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Hm...

great nice feature and I do not doubt a second that it will work properly!

Actually I was kind of waiting for something like that from Hassi after the intro of the S2. They were not only up to kill the S System with pricing, but also with some great new technologies. And 50 or 60MP combined with that nice new AF and the new features in Phocus becomes a real show stopper for the Leica, especially if one considers the pricing and the upgradability of the system and the matureness of the whole existing Hasselblad stuff.

One thing which somehow stops me from jumping again on the Hasselblad favoring train is that I am still waiting for the new Phase camera to come and for their new LS lenses. And that the size of the Hassi is of course much more than the size of the S2.

But finally for landscape work (which I am mainly doing) I think that a H4D with 40MP back and 3 0r 4 lenses and an HTS1.5 should be the winning solution. And also one could use the back on a tech camera too - if you need this after owning the HTS
    HTS/1.5 looks great and will solve a whole bunch of problems ... but it doesn't replace a view camera or tech field camera with a super wide digital spec optic. I think 42mm field-of-view is as wide as it gets with the HTS/1.5. So, I'll be keeping the Rollei Xact-2 for the time being.

BTW, the H4 comes in 50 or 60 meg ... not 40.

LOL! You can tell this is a Mamiya/Phase centric forum ... this is huge news on the Medium Format front and it's hardly discussed. Hassey needs to send a rep and gear to one of Guy and Jack's outings

Man, I am scrambling to purge the gear closet to prep for this. I need for the difference between these big DSLRs and my MFD system to be obvious even to the uninitiated ... like art directors who tend to shove around the files like you can't believe. Talk about pixel peeping, geeze-o-peaso

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think you are going to be a Lone Ranger with no Silver and no Tonto as far as Hasselblad goes on this forum Marc - enjoy!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL! You can tell this is a Mamiya/Phase centric forum ... this is huge news on the Medium Format front and it's hardly discussed. Hassey needs to send a rep and gear to one of Guy and Jack's outings

I agree but we have never heard a word from them on stuff like this. I actually like the H3 setup. Not sure though what to think of the H4 with this new technology. Seriously I would have to try it to see how well it works. The idea is interesting
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I think you are going to be a Lone Ranger with no Silver and no Tonto as far as Hasselblad goes on this forum Marc - enjoy!
    Hassy is as welcome as any other OEM to be here. There owners are just not here to participate. Would love for them to be here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep Peter, I think you are right. I always go my own way, so nothing new there.

One good thing is that I can start a thread when I get the H4D/60 and post alone.

I suppose it'd be useless to post my H3D-II/39 in the F/S section.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it, Marc. There are still some of us that do follow Hasselblad and would enjoy the comments and thoughts on the new kit, regardless of how many Phase Pholks may not bother reading.

As for selling the H3DII-39....you may still want to wait to see just how "encouraging" Hassy may be to you to get the H4D-60. You will probably get more from outright sale, but then again.....

Other thought is what will Hassy do for an "entry level" kit? Is the H4D-50 going to become the entry point, or does anybody know if they will pop something else into the mix? Seems like the MP creep is still active, and to keep some separation from everybody else, 50MP may become their entry level. Yikes!

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trust me us Phase folks read everything Hassy too. This is a MF forum

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I would hope they do. There is a lot that Hasselblad has to offer that does seem to get overlooked or swamped at times. I know it is hard to display some of the features and improvements, but the HTS device is a great example of how a Hassy thing does create an interesting alternative for some.

There just seem to be a lot fewer Hassy posters here and on some other forums. Wonder if that is because they are less involved in forum chatter and are just shooting and enjoying, or what? For all the Hasselblads that are out there, one would sort of expect a bit more engagement. The few folks here that do post, offer up some great stuff and interesting perspectives....just seems like it is a much smaller component compared to Phase stuff. Same holds true on Luminous Landscape. They seem to be pretty involved with their customers, seeming to be responding to needs and requests for the most part. They do get behind on some things, like live video, but they do seem to be addressing that......somewhat faster than say Phase getting leaf shutter lenses out, or revamping their AFD bodies. Not looking to make this an issue or comparison. Just wishing there was more Hasselblad discussion, as they still make some very nice kit.

While this new accelerometer for AF remains to be proven, it just underscores how Hassy is trying to advance some technologies. The HTS is another device.

To me what seems the most interesting is just how each OEM (Leica, Hassy, Phase) have worked, or are trying to work the MF market with their products. Hassy still has the most complete looking system of stuff, from what I can tell, and that is pretty enticing from many perspectives.

So, looking forward to more and more Hasselblad discussions if anybody cares.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    As for selling the H3DII-39....you may still want to wait to see just how "encouraging" Hassy may be to you to get the H4D-60. You will probably get more from outright sale, but then again.....LJ

Hum hum, as a 22mpix Hassy user, I think the time will eventually come to upgrade to 39mp. There will be some H3DII-39 systems searching for new owners soon. Hassy upgrade are nice but still a bit bitter for those that payed the full price some years ago.
    Hope the 2nd hand market will work to satisfy guys like me and happy upgrader

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Party is over as far as this poor boy goes - my eyes cant see any difference between a P65+ and a P45+ or a 39 megapixel blad or a 33 megapixel Sinar - call me a party pooper see if I care

Wish list will soon be finished as far as gear purchase goes - an M9 with a matched Noctilux an artec and two rodenstocks the 23mm and a nice 90mm..

As for digital backs sorry - Mr Hasselblad and Mr Phase One - I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze - Which is exactly what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks ....

feels good to be bad again -

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sounds like fun to us old fart married guys but obviously won't fly on this boat here. LOL

Guess i have to stick to metal and glass. I better stop here I can really get myself in trouble.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Party is over as far as this poor boy goes - my eyes cant see any difference between a P65+ and a P45+ or a 39 megapixel blad or a 33 megapixel Sinar - call me a party pooper see if I care

Wish list will soon be finished as far as gear purchase goes - an M9 with a matched Noctilux an artec and two rodenstocks the 23mm and a nice 90mm..

As for digital backs sorry - Mr Hasselblad and Mr Phase One - I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze - Which is exactly what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks ....

feels good to be bad again -
    Hmmm, now that you mention it Peter .... there are a lot of alternatives to use that money on. Like places to actually go take photos

Which Nocti did you get Peter ... f/0.95? I'm going to try the f/1 version on the M9 this week.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    ......somewhat faster than say Phase getting leaf shutter lenses out, or revamping their AFD bodies.
    Guess Phase was knowing folks like me would bring this up, so they just today announced the new body and three leaf shutter lenses. Good to see them finally getting those out.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Not sure though what to think of the H4 with this new technology. Seriously I would have to try it to see how well it works. The idea is interesting
    It works!
    I shot with it yesterday, 50MP with an 80mm @2.8 using focus -recompose which I do alot. The difference was remarkable.

Nick-T

tetsrfun

I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze
    Stick with camera gear and booze....the women and fast cars are a bottomless money pit.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep Peter, I think you are right. I always go my own way, so nothing new there.

One good thing is that I can start a thread when I get the H4D/60 and post alone.

I suppose it'd be useless to post my H3D-II/39 in the F/S section.

-Marc
    Don't worry, I'm one of those the have h3-50 soon h4-60.
    The only problem is the I came here every week, so hold everything for a week, if you can, and I will be next to you.

BlasR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats good - you guys can show me why I 'have to have one' -

Marc - I want the Old Nocti for the 'look' - on full frame I think it will sing - and unlike the film days - I will know when I have missed the wide open shot -

Both arriving later this week *fingers crossed. (M9 in steel colour)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    I'd rather blow my dough on wild women, fast cars and booze
    Stick with camera gear and booze....the women and fast cars are a bottomless money pit.

Steve
    I think Peter's capacity to toss cash into the money pit is deeper than ours Steve.

Those days are long gone for me, but it was fun back in the "Financially Fat, 1990s single boy days": Souped up Porches and even faster women, (insert wistful sigh) ..

Wish I had some of that money back ... especially the Jewelry

-Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 29th September 2009 at 00:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Marc - you know the old saying ...?

If it floats, f**ks or flies - rent it dont buy it...

*btw it is a non sexist gender neutral parable..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats good - you guys can show me why I 'have to have one' -

Marc - I want the Old Nocti for the 'look' - on full frame I think it will sing - and unlike the film days - I will know when I have missed the wide open shot -

Both arriving later this week *fingers crossed. (M9 in steel colour)
    Well today I should be receiving a f/1.0 Nocti to try on the M9. Same reasoning. Since I already have a 50/1.4 ASPH, I'm looking for that "old time rock 'n roll look." It's the same reason I prefer the "Plain Jane" M90/2.8 over the 90AA. Ability to focus the darned Nocti will be the criteria. I have a 1.35X mag for the M9 which should help.

RE: the H4D/60

Talked with my Hassey rep and the pricing options from Hassey are REALLY aggressively good. They are smart to do this and blunt any considerations about jumping ship.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc- post some shots when it arrives please! Will be very intersted to see how it looks on full frame

Sheeesh - its like someone has sent us the same play book...re lenses..

ok back on topic..

I am ALL EARS for a good deal trading up from 39 - 60...somehow I doubt it very much though..but - I am ALL ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I have already post one shot with that combination (M9 NOCTI 1.0 ) , it really works well and the focus is not so tricky.
    I have to look to another serie, I will post more Nocti shots in the dedicated thread.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a joy to read all the contributions in this thread .

But . . . . I came to the conclusion , that pixelmania is a serious desease .
    It seems to be an addiction without a chance of curing . That includes me .

Back to technical stuff .
    The CFV-39 has a pixelsize of 6,8 microns .
    The H3DII-50/H4d-50 has a pixelsize of 6,0 microns .

Does anyone of you know the sensor and pixel sizes of the 60MP sensor ? ? ?

Jürgen

Ranger 9

Well today I should be receiving a f/1.0 Nocti to try on the M9. Same reasoning. Since I already have a 50/1.4 ASPH, I'm looking for that "old time rock 'n roll look."
    If you want a really old time look, hunt up a Canon 50/0.95 with an M-mount conversion. Your photos will look as if they were shot in 1958 in a beatnik jazz club filled with reefer smoke and broken dreams...

tetsrfun

I think Peter's capacity to toss cash into the money pit is deeper than ours Steve.

Those days are long gone for me, but it was fun back in the "Financially Fat, 1990s single boy days": Souped up Porches and even faster women, (insert wistful sigh) ..

Wish I had some of that money back ... especially the Jewelry

-Marc
    Jewelry is especially bad...In a "D" settlement the judge decides that 1/2 of every thing that you have is hers but the jewelry is 100% hers.

A few routine services on a Italian "horse" car will put a good dent in the cost of an S2.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Hum hum, as a 22mpix Hassy user, I think the time will eventually come to upgrade to 39mp. There will be some H3DII-39 systems searching for new owners soon. Hassy upgrade are nice but still a bit bitter for those that payed the full price some years ago.
    Hope the 2nd hand market will work to satisfy guys like me and happy upgrader
    This may or may not get interesting, since Hasselblad will retain the H3DII-31/39 rigs as part of the existing production line. There may be some good refurbs as well as some outright sales from folks wanting the H4D cameras.

It is just a bit too bad that there is no H4D-31/39 solution that could take advantage of the new AF device and other tweaks, plus just maybe a bit better LCD. I do think there would be a lot of folks looking at a H4D-39 solution, if it existed, and at a competitive price, as well as an H4D-31 solution with higher ISO performance and the new AF. Those could be very attractive kits for some users. Guess we can just keep hoping something like that comes to pass.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I made a simple (too simple ?) test tonight:
    Facing a wall I measured the distance between me and the part of the wall just in front of me (this point being the center position of the frame) = 10 feet. Then I measured again between me (at the exact same position) to what would be the position of the corner of the frame on this wall. Distance increased by 3 inches.
    So if I had to focus on the corner position and move to center to recompose, does that mean that the focus point would be 3 inches to far for a correct corner focus ?

In my example, and if I was using a 100mm lens at f5,6, it will also mean that I will also not have any OOF problem (15 inches DOF at this distance, normally 5 in front and 10 backwards, but here 5-3 = 2 in front and 13 backwards) so no big deal after all.
    Last edited by anGy; 30th September 2009 at 13:12.