The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need a lttle help

Don Libby

I decided to run an experiment today and so far I've failed.

Purpose of experiment: Connect my WRS/P45+ to a laptop and see if live preview works.

Laptop(s): Two, both Dell. The one I really want it to work on is a Dell XPS M1210 (dual core 4 GB Ram with 4 pin firewire running VISTA 64 and Service Pack 2) - the other is my workhorse laptop a Dell M6400 (quad core 8 GB Ram, 6 pin firewire running VISTA 62 and Service Pack 1). Both laptops have C1 Pro 4.8.3.

Problems encountered: Plus the back into either laptop and immediately get searching for drivers - can not find. Open C1 click on capture (I've set a new session)and neither camera controls or camera show up which isn't a surprise as the driver failed to load...

It appears that the root cause of my problems are based on a failure of the firewire driver(s) loading thus C1 doesn't know a camera is connected.

Any suggestions? And please don't suggest a Mac!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I won't suggest a Mac, but........:D
Beat me to it!

Don, there is a known issue with PC laptops not having enough power on the FW port to live tether. (For whatever reason, Macs don't have this problem with P backs.) Does it work if you're laptops are plugged in to the mains?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don - drivers can be found here:
C:/Program Files/Phase One/Capture One 4/Drivers/Vista
you are looking for p1c1394
So when it tries to load the drivers direct it to this location

However, C1 does NOT support live preview on a PC. But you are able to capture and control the camera.

Don Libby

Okay okay I get it! My life would be so much easier if I would just switch to a Mac….:p

Both laptops were plugged in and I was using the battery power of the back. The problem here as I understand it is the lack of a proper firewire driver. As soon as the back is turned on the computers looked for driver for an unidentified device. Just for kicks and gags I tried this same thing with my 1DsII and it showed up looking for the proper drivers which it found.

So, it appears as the problem is a lack of drivers identifying the P45+.

No big deal here as I was mildly interested in seeing if I could use the smaller laptop with the WRS/P45+.

I also tried deleting the IEEE driver and letting it reinstall with no positive results.

I email Doug and am waiting to hear from him. In the end this isn’t earth shattering as I’m also beginning to believe this would just be too much effort in the field.

Thanks for all your insights…

Don

jlm

Workshop Member
i was able to get my P20 to tether-up to my little sony laptop once i changed the drivers. it won't supply power to the back however

Don Libby

It looks like I need the driver p1c1392 for the back to work. I'll talk this over with Doug later on. BTW I'm running VISTA 64 bit.

Everything I've read so far points to the lack of the driver. Phase also says to keep the power supply on the back and not the laptop.

Don

Don Libby

My search is over at least for awhile. Finally found a support document on Phase One that states “Tethered support is only supported in Vista 32 bit installations – 64 bit currently not supported.” This is dated July 22, 2009.

I now have my answer.

cmb_

Don - when the install new driver/hardware wizard runs don't let it find it automatically, there should be an option for you to send it to look in the directory I listed above (C:/Program Files/Phase One/Capture One 4/Drivers/Vista). This is where it will find the file for which it is looking. The file is named p1c1394 (NOT p1c1392). Navigate there yourself and you will see the file is the folder, then tell the wizard to navigate there and it will find it. It has to load it from that folder. (I am on XP, does Vista also have the same wizard?)

cmb_

Well - no 64 bit. There you go. So now the questions for Doug are when is Capture One on Windows going to support live preview and when is Capture One going to support 64 bit on Windows? To which the answer will be when are you guys going to smarten up and get a Mac!

Sorry about your frustrations Don.

Don Libby

Cmb

Thanks for the information. I’ve located the drivers that are in the same path you showed and attempted to connect the back to my computer. The major fault is the driver is for 32 bit machines only and will not load on a 64 bit machine. I’m SOL till Phase comes up with a 64 bit solution.

There appears to be a work around if I want to modify the registry which I really do not want to do. Again this was supposed to be a simple test to see if I could use a 12” laptop as a modified viewfinder for my WRS. I can wait till Phase figures out how to add 64bit. I assume it won’t be too far off as a lot of folks are beginning to use 64bit machine more and more. I’m surprised that I’m the first running a 64bit machine attempting to tether. Well at least anyone else thinking of this will learn from my mistakes today.

Thanks all

Don

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Go figure. I leave for a weekend camping trip sans-technology and one of my favorite customers spends considerable time trying to tether to a 64 bit version of Windows. Sorry bud; that would have taken me ten seconds! I feel bad!

There are some pretty big things coming to Capture One at the end of October. Can't talk about them yet though.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Christopher

Well Doug I know you can't tell us but I really hope Phase One finally gets their act together and delivers the stuff which was promised. I'm talking about live view on the P65 and hopefully even live view in WINDOWS. Not all of us want to work with slow macs :p

Don Libby

Thanks for the heads up Doug. The research was (as always) worthwhile as I kept running across other things I can use in the future.

Also glad to hear you took some time for yourself.

Don