The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Announcing the PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

The Perfect Body for your Perfect Back

COPENHAGEN, September 28, 2009 – Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform medium format camera systems and solutions, today announced the Phase One 645DF camera. Engineered in partnership with Mamiya Digital Imaging for superior quality image capture and ease of handling, it sets a new standard for high flash sync speeds – up to 1/1600 of a second.

Also today, Phase One announced the availability of three new high performance leaf shutter lenses, 55mm, 80mm and 110mm, all f/2.8 and all designed with the Phase One 645DF camera in mind. The lenses are a result of close collaboration with Mamiya Digital Imaging and Schneider Kreuznach

“Our patent-pending flash sync breakthrough eases working with wide open apertures and fill-in flash on location,” said Jan H. Christiansen, Phase One marketing director. “We already offer the most flexible exposure times ranging from 1/4000 of a second to one full hour. Setting new performance standards is all about expanding creative options for photographers.”

The 645DF camera is the only 645 medium format camera which supports both focal plane and leaf shutters, expanding photographers’ innovative possibilities by leveraging the two shutter technologies seamlessly for world class photography, whether this involves ultra-fast flash sync speeds or extremely flexible exposure times.

The new camera introduces many performance improvements over its predecessor. Capture responsiveness and autofocus speed is highly improved giving photographers up to 5 times faster performance in a typical fashion set up.

The 645DF also offers a breakthrough workflow improvement -- custom-shooting modes. For the first time in a medium-format camera, photographers can “dial up” a pre-defined mode, where the camera is instantly set up for a given shooting scenario, e.g. product, portrait or landscape photography.

Other workflow enhancements include new tactile buttons, a fully sealed eye-cup eliminating ambient light, improved viewfinder masks, and customizable audio feedback e.g. on focus lock. Several custom functions have been enhanced, without compromising simple navigation.

Freedom to choose the best back for you

Phase One builds flexible, open photographic systems to support a professional’s style, needs and working preference. The Phase One 645DF camera supports the world’s finest digital backs, ensuring freedom of choice and investment protection for years to come. It is compatible with digital backs designed for the Phase One / Mamiya AFD mount, including backs from Phase One, Leaf, Mamiya and others.

Pricing and Availability

The Phase One 645DF camera body starts at $5990/€4290 and is expected to ship Q4, 2009. The new leaf shutter lenses start at $2490/€1790 and are expected to start shipping Q4, 2009. All equipment can be ordered now from Phase One and Leaf dealers (for the dealer near you, please see: http://www.phaseone.com/partners and http://www.leaf-photography.com/dealers.asp).

About Phase One

Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.

For more information about the products, visit the Phase One web site on www.phaseone.com.

Phase One is a registered trademark of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schneider Kreuznach, Phase One, Mamiya Digital Imaging

Cooperate to Drive Innovations in Medium Format Digital Lenses

Expanding Range of Lens Options for Pro Photographers

BAD KREUZNACH, Germany, COPENHAGEN and TOKYO, Sept. 28, 2009 — Schneider Kreuznach, Phase One A/S and Mamiya Digital Imaging, Ltd. today announced that they are collaborating on design, development, manufacturing, and delivery of superior quality, precision digital lenses for the medium format camera systems used by the world’s most discriminating professional photographers.

“Our vision of offering photographers freedom to choose from what is best in photographic equipment is at the heart of our cooperation with Schneider Kreuznach,” said Henrik Håkonsson, President and CEO of Phase One. “We are committed to sharing expertise in digital imaging technology with the world’s most respected companies to push the limits of excellence for photographers.”

“We are pleased to contribute our optical expertise within a very creative group,” said Dr. Josef Staub, Managing Director of Schneider Kreuznach. “As we pioneer advancements in optical lens design, the photographic market can look forward to new, extraordinary lenses.”

“Successful teamwork has already resulted in the world’s most open medium format camera platform,” said Toshio Midorikawa, President of Mamiya Digital Imaging. “Now we take another step, as we share our manufacturing expertise with Schneider Kreuznach’s optical design talents to benefit the world’s photographers.”

The first results of this collaboration are the 55mm, 80mm and 110mm leaf shutter lenses designed for the Phase One 645DF and Mamiya 645DF cameras. The lenses can be ordered now and will start shipping Q4, 2009.

About Mamiya Digital Imaging
Mamiya Digital Imaging is the digital successor to the reputable Mamiya brand, an innovative company fresh with enthusiasm and dedicated to continuing a legacy of excellence. Mamiya has consistently been a fore-runner in medium format camera design, and Mamiya lenses, manufactured following a tradition of precision and quality, are celebrated world-wide. For the Professional Photographer, it is the ultimate brand in photographic equipment.

Mamiya Digital Imaging is headquartered in Tokyo with two factories in Japan, and has distributors in more than 100 countries.

For more information about products, visit the Mamiya homepage on www.mamiya.co.jp

About Phase One

Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.

For more information about the products, visit the Phase One Web site on www.phaseone.com.

About the Schneider Group

The Schneider Group specializes in developing and producing high-performance photographic lenses, cinema projection lenses, as well as industrial optics and precision mechanics. The group comprises Jos. Schneider Optische Werke, founded in Bad Kreuznach in 1913, and its subsidiaries Pentacon (Dresden), B+W Filterfabrik (ISCO) (Göttingen ), Schneider-Optics (New York, Los Angeles),
Schneider Bando (Seoul), Schneider Asia Pacific (Hong Kong) and Schneider Optical Technologies (Shenzhen). The company’s main brand is “Schneider-Kreuznach." It has around 640 employees worldwide, with 335 based in its German headquarters. For years now the group has been a world market leader in the area of high-performance lenses.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Dave Gallagher, the owner of Capture Integration, traveled to Denmark to see the announcement of this product in person. He has gotten hands on time as well as time with the engineers.

Any and all questions are welcome, but please be patient as it may take 2-3 days for us to answer all of them as Dave is still in transit.

The 1/1600th sync speed is an absolute mind-blower to me. I shoot with the H2 at 1/800 quite a bit and it's fantastic to be able to sync full strobes at that speed. The extra stop will be very welcome.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug,

PUT ME ON THE LIST NOW FOR A BODY AND THE 110 LS!!!!!!!!

1/1600th synch is freaking awesome!

Guy Mancuso

Capture responsiveness and autofocus speed is highly improved giving photographers up to 5 times faster performance in a typical fashion set up.

The 645DF also offers a breakthrough workflow improvement -- custom-shooting modes. For the first time in a medium-format camera, photographers can “dial up” a pre-defined mode, where the camera is instantly set up for a given shooting scenario, e.g. product, portrait or landscape photography.

Other workflow enhancements include new tactile buttons, a fully sealed eye-cup eliminating ambient light, improved viewfinder masks, and customizable audio feedback e.g. on focus lock. Several custom functions have been enhanced, without compromising simple navigation.

Looks like no shutter lag and the custom features is really nice. Quick flip to indoor /outdoor stuff would be very handy. Some changes in the button functions sounds good as well. Looking forward to this. This could be what I have been looking for and my only really bitch about the system was a film based body. This looks to solve that

Guy Mancuso

The 1/1600th sync speed is an absolute mind-blower to me

I did not see that. Wow best in the industry and I mean the whole industry

evgeny

Hi,
I think the 1/1600th sync speed is Ok with CaNikon flashes, but useless in studio. For exampe, my Hensel studio strobes sync at 1/250, this is max speed of radio transmitter.

How can you use such high 1/1600 sync speed in studio?
Thanks

Guy Mancuso

Well I am thinking more outside work with more wide open shooting plus a fill flash that does not need a generator truck. Even a small portable can do some serious outside fill. Those Quadras are even more appealing now at 400 watt small package.

As far as radio transmitters obviously they will need to be improved. I use Skyports and don't know there limits but something we will have to look into with the radio Transmitters. Also we need to look at higher speed flash duration heads . I think most of them are faster but again need to check specs on specific brands.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Quick comparison of the full shutter speed range of the P1DF, H2D/H3D/H4D, and S2 with the flash-sync-capable speeds in red.

Obviously the vast vast majority of shooting gets down in the 1 second to 1/500th range. It's nice to know your system is not going to limit your creativity though for those situations where especially fast shutter speeds, especially long exposures, or high-speed-sync is required.

Also a quick word to those who have never shot a leaf shutter lens. The "high-speed sync mode" offered by Canon/Nikon through their flash systems is no where close to the flexibility of a true leaf shutter lens (though they are obviously great and very welcome options within the constraints of a focal plane shutter system). The high speed flash sync of a leaf shutter lens (such as those being offered within the Phase One system) can be used at full flash power with most any flash system.

The dotted line for the Phase system between 1 and 4 hours is because the longest exposure is not a hard limit, but rather determined by the ambient temperature. 11 hour exposures are possible at -11C. Full Chart.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Last edited:

LJL

As far as radio transmitters obviously they will need to be improved. I use Skyports and don't know there limits but something we will have to look into with the radio Transmitters. Also we need to look at higher speed flash duration heads . I think most of them are faster but again need to check specs on specific brands.
The Profoto Air transmitter unit is designed to work with up to 1/1500s leaf shutter sync speeds, so it may be able to work for folks using Profotos. Unless you were using the new D1 Air monolights, or the Pro 8A Air pack, both of which you can get with the internal receiver, you would also need the Air receivers to connect to packs or monos, much like using a PocketWizard receiver and transmitter arrangement.

Have not checked the specs on the EL-Skyport for Elinchrom yet. Also worth looking at the new PW mini transmitters, but I do not think they have those tuned for much beyond the Canon and now Nikon bodies for faster flash sync.

LJ

P.S. Just checked the specs on the EL-Skyport system.....1/1000s is top sync speed.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I can deal with 1/1000th for now but certainly would like to see higher for sure. I wonder if the internal sync on on the Quadra packs is higher. Hmmm

LJL

I can deal with 1/1000th for now but certainly would like to see higher for sure. I wonder if the internal sync on on the Quadra packs is higher. Hmmm
Well, that part is only the receiver. It is the transmitter, which attaches to the camera that needs to be able to handle the faster sync speed, no?

The other part about flash duration speed is separate. That should not matter so much, except for flash units that have a very narrow power spike (short duration for freezing action), which would then need to be timed more closely with the shutter duration. Right now, most focal plane shutter arrangements using short duration flash have more than too much overlap at times....creating possibilities for ghosting. So, this is where it is important for the wireless transmitter to be able to match the shutter trip signal, and that in turn must be within the flash duration sync of the heads.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Elinchrom skyports are good up to 1/1000th both directions. The Ranger S heads max duration is 1/1150 IIRC and the Quadra is 1/1300th... So bottom line is your limitation would be the skyport. If you wanted 1/1600th, you'd have to connect directly and maybe use a speed head to insure its longest duration was less than 1/1600th. For me, having just 1/1000th available for my battery strobe fill is AWESOME...

Guy Mancuso

Okay that is with the leaf lenses although the press release was not specific about that what about focal plane sync speed

LJL

That may not have changed from the present 1/125s speed. Would be nice to know if it has improved at least to 1/250s or so.

LJ